cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to us motorhome

nosnow
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice on used diesel motorhome. We are looking at 36 ft and our choices are all 2001 t0 2005, Itasca Horizon, Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Monaco diplomat, and Airstream xc360. How do these rank in build quality, all have one piece solid roofs either alum. or fiberglass. Major problems with any of them?

Thanks for any info,
Nosnow 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

nosnow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the good info. it looks like the Monaco diplomat will be our choice. it also has low miles and next to nothing for generator use (under 40hr)
Again thank you for all your input

Nosnow :):)

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We are pretty happy with our 2002 32' Itasca Horizon. 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed allison, 2 driver's side slides.

Here's a link to our blog, goes back to 2009. Mostly from BC to Mexico and back, did it once the hard way, via Alaska.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
all being equal, I'd take the Diplomat.

HR Ambassodor (and Monaco knight) depending on the year, either had the roadmaster rr8r chassis (same as the dip) or the ill fated rr4r chassis. Good/bad/ or replaced trailing arms, the rr4r is a cheap freightliner imitation, and I'd not touch one. Monaco does better.

If the ambassador you're looking at is new enough to have the rr8r chassis, it is pretty much identical to the Dip, the dip has an ISL400, the knight/ambassador has an ISC, 350 or 360hp depending on year.

I'll take a Spartan chassis over any you mentioned.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
all being equal, I'd take the Diplomat.

HR Ambassodor (and Monaco knight) depending on the year, either had the roadmaster rr8r chassis (same as the dip) or the ill fated rr4r chassis. Good/bad/ or replaced trailing arms, the rr4r is a cheap freightliner imitation, and I'd not touch one. Monaco does better.

If the ambassador you're looking at is new enough to have the rr8r chassis, it is pretty much identical to the Dip, the dip has an ISL400, the knight/ambassador has an ISC, 350 or 360hp depending on year.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

dogvetia
Explorer
Explorer
after 4 Winnebago products I will be first to admit I am bias but by the same token they have been in continuous business for many many years and customer support is very good. All 4 units have been basically trouble free except small things like day/night shades need restringing after 6 years etc. the 400 ISL would be nice but our little cummins 5.9 has been down the road for 90,000 miles now (bought new)with nothing but maintenece. so all things being equal with maintence records, fit and finish etc between the units you are looking at, I would pick the horizon. It is also on a Freightliner chasis that has services centers all over the country. Good luck and enjoy your choice. tom
2012 F350 diesel
2018 cruiser lite 28rd

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
If you are buying a full body paint coach of that vintage be sure to check the dark colors for any signs of crazing or checking of the paint. Many manufacturers had the same problem.

I think I read somewhere that Winnebago did not have that issue, but I'm not sure. It might be worth your while to look into this.

Ro646a,
Well Sir, first off, the "crazing" is not only on the dark colors. I've seen it an all colors, dark, light, in between, and, even on non-painted motor homes. And second, oh yeah, Winne and Itasca both had that problem. We drove 65 miles to look at '06 Meridian and was never told it had the problem. We got there and, the display side was almost totally free of crazing. But, the sun side, had it all over, top to bottom, end to end. More so on the darker shades of the graphics but, again, it had it on the lighter stuff too.

Many, many coach builders have had that issue, mostly in the past. I haven't read of any complaints about it on later ones, as in say, '10 and newer.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned a 1984 34.5 Airstream Classic I'm definitely biased toward the Airstream Land Yacht xc360.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our 2005 Monaco Diplomat SKT 36' coach last year. It was a great coach and came with something you'll find hard to get in a 36' or older than 2006 coach....that's a Cummins 400 ISL.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying a full body paint coach of that vintage be sure to check the dark colors for any signs of crazing or checking of the paint. Many manufacturers had the same problem.

I think I read somewhere that Winnebago did not have that issue, but I'm not sure. It might be worth your while to look into this.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
nosnow wrote:
Looking for advice on used diesel motorhome. We are looking at 36 ft and our choices are all 2001 t0 2005, Itasca Horizon, Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Monaco diplomat, and Airstream xc360. How do these rank in build quality, all have one piece solid roofs either alum. or fiberglass. Major problems with any of them?

Thanks for any info,
Nosnow 🙂

Nosnow,
Well Sir, we have pretty much exactly what you're looking at or, thinking about. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and Allison 3000MH trans. It's been an outstanding unit in the 3.5 years we've owned so far. Yep, I've had to do some repair here and there. And there's been general maintenance. Ours is the full body paint model. Having a unit like that, with that finish, I don't think I'd ever go back to a non-full body painted unit. They're so, SO much easier to maintain and polish.

The Itasca and Winnebago product are pretty much bullet proof. There is outstanding support from both Winnebago/Itasca and, Freightliner chassis too. The C-7 has performed outstandingly. The Allison trans has also lived up to its name and reputation, just great. We have the fiberglass roof which, in my opinion, is far superior to any rubber roof ever made. I know because we had one on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V.

The interior construction, fit and finish is top notch. Our cabinets are solid wood, doors, drawer fronts and framing. The basement A/C combo Heat pump unit has also been great. The only thing I've had to do to that unit is, install a bearing in one of the fan supports. That's something that's been done by many owners. It's a simple task. Freightliner has been outstanding in support when ever I've called about a question or, a repair issue. They know every nut and bolt that went into my particular coach.

Our unit, a 36' coach, handles great. I've even mounted a Hydralift on the back and carried a Honda GL1800 Goldwing on it and it still, ran down the road true and straight with no ill handling effects, no wandering, no porpoising, nothing. The coach took care of itself in terms of ride height. That's since been changed and we tow a GMC 1500 Sierra Extended Cab 4x4 that carries the bike now.

I do all of my own maintenance and repairs. We hover around 7,000 to 10,000 miles a year in travels. It has never let us down with one exception. And even that, it still kept on running and driving normal. I'll explain later if you want to know, in a PM. I will say this, if you go the later model, as in '04 and above, you'll get a slide out tray for your generator which, by far, is an outstanding feature to have in terms of maintenance and repairs for that generator. I have friends that would kill for a slide out unit.

The later models also have better interior lighting and, in many cases, better dash componentry. And, the later ones, as in '04 and above, have better electronics in terms of computer controls, engine analysis and more. The '03 units and older utilize what's called a VDC or, Vehicle Data Computer for coordinating signals between engine operations and, your gauges. The newer coaches, as in '04 and above, utilize what's called the MMDC or, Multi Module Data Controller. It does the same thing only it's much more refined and can process information much faster. The VDC was trouble prone due to inferior solder joints in the circuit boards. Not all of them, but many.

We get many, many nice comments on our coach. Many folks think ours is way newer than it is, based on it's looks. Of course, ours has had the good fortune to be under a roof for its entire life. We recently moved to Lake Havasu City and it's now sitting in brand new home with an RV garage attached. It only sees the elements and the sun, when we're in it traveling.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like any additional info pertaining to the Horizon model. Be very glad to help.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
nosnow wrote:

Thanks for any info,
Nosnow 🙂

Add Newmar to your list. 4 more feet at 40' doesn't make that big of a difference.

we were looking at 32-36 foot coaches, and found there isn't any difference in how it drives and the 40' rides much better.

Go drive a few see what you think. you might just fall in love. 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
On the Ambassador, if a 2001, would be OK, if 2002 or later, make sure the rear trailing arms have been changed. The Ambassador, we had an 01 38PBT, served us well but the Diplomat is a step up both in features and the 8 bag chassis for a much better ride. Can't speak to the other 2 choices. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
Choose a fiberglass roof if you live near air that has salt in it. An aluminum roof will develop small holes from pitting causing leaks after being exposed to the salty air after a while.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the quality of cabinetry and fixtures. Seems that Monaco Diplomat or Airstream would be good choices if low miles and well maintained. I would also find the Monaco and Airstream owners forums and ask this question of them.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi