cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbee question again - flat tire on the road...

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
If... and hopefully it never happens.. a blowout on the road.
Motorhomes don't carry spares. So... if we get one out there and put on - what do they do with the blown one? Do we get the rim?
It's got nice shiny rims so I assume we would want to keep it, but again.. where would one store it?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
30 REPLIES 30

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
We also carry an unmounted spare and utilize the space inside where the wheel would be for rarely used items like a small emergency rollerbag suitcase.

Yes we have also used the suitcase, needed it to fly home for a family members funeral.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Guess I bought the wrong DP every time----NO SPARE. But the one time I had a blow out Good Sam sent a guy out, I paid for the tire and he put it on my rim. I wouldn't try to lift one of those 22.5 wheels let alone try to jack that thing up and break the lug nuts loose....

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome came with a spare.
It stores in a recessed area in the rear storage.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily, I have enough storage space, and carry an unmounted used motorhome tire and an unmounted used tire for the toad (the toad has the mini-tire as a spare).

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Tell the ERS what size tire you need, and they will make arrangements to get you one. But this route is not cheap for the price of the tire. If you have access to interent and can find out tire dealers in the area, and call them on cell phone, it can be cheaper. But a bit more inconvenient. And if you have RV sized tires that are not common in the trucking market, you might have a bit of a wait. But I still will not leave home without my CoachNet Card!!!
We've had one RV blowout. We called CoachNet. The service guy came out with a tire and changed it on the side of the road. I paid for the tire (of course), and followed him back to his tire dealership where they balanced the tire. He charged less for the Michelin tire than anyplace else in the area (Wichita Falls, TX), and he didn't charge anything for the balancing. Of course CoachNet paid for the other stuff (road travel, tire change, technician time, etc.)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Mark wrote:
darsben wrote:
You say motorhomes do not carry spares.
I carry two spare tires.
Without a spare you could be stuck somewhere for a couple of days until a spare is acquired.

Think rural areas out west.
Carry a spare on a rim. Be self sufficient. Then get Good Sam roadside or similar and hope you never need to be self sufficient

-------------------------------

Where do you store these two spares? I can't lift our size tire, especially, with a rim attached. It would take up so much storage space if we carried a spare tire (295/80R/22.5).

So far, we have never had a flat or blowout. I used to have a TPMS but it was a piece of junk and caused so many problems so I removed it and just check our tires before every departure. At 64,000 miles, it has worked well so far.

MM.

Basement I can lift the 19.5's with wifes help
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I carry two spare tires.
Without a spare you could be stuck somewhere for a couple of days until a spare is acquired.

Carry a spare on a rim. Be self sufficient. Then get Good Sam roadside or similar and hope you never need to be self sufficient

-------------------------------

Where do you store these two spares? I can't lift our size tire, especially, with a rim attached. It would take up so much storage space if we carried a spare tire (295/80R/22.5).

So far, we have never had a flat or blowout. I used to have a TPMS but it was a piece of junk and caused so many problems so I removed it and just check our tires before every departure. At 64,000 miles, it has worked well so far.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
Not directly on topic, but tangentially related, here's the video from the Beginning RVing sticky about what to do during a blowout. Thought I'd share for anybody who hasn't been over there and seen it:

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/videos-demos.jsp#The_Critial_Factor
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry two spare tires.

Traveling with my best friend my wife!

tkranz
Explorer
Explorer
Funny nobody else said this - I have owned 4 class A's and all carried spare tires.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased and carried a used tire that was was not mounted. That way, a roadside service employee could remove the defective tire and mount my used tire. I would run the used tire until I could find a place to purchase a new tire at a reasonable price. I carried the loose tire in the pass-thru compartment; worked well. Fortunately, I never had to use the spare tire. P.S. Sold the MH this past Friday. Going to chill out for a while until we decide what we want to do.

Ray

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
You would be ahead of the game to know your tire makes and sizes and report that to your roadside service in order for them to match the tire they bring out to service your flat. Not always a blowout can cause significant damage to the MH and possible a wreck...stay alert.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the ERS what size tire you need, and they will make arrangements to get you one. But this route is not cheap for the price of the tire. If you have access to interent and can find out tire dealers in the area, and call them on cell phone, it can be cheaper. But a bit more inconvenient. And if you have RV sized tires that are not common in the trucking market, you might have a bit of a wait. But I still will not leave home without my CoachNet Card!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I depend a lot on my TPMS to give me advance notice of a leak so, hopefully, I can find a safe spot to pull over. If it's one of the rears one can limp on to a facility that can take care of the problem.

Other than that I don't worry about it and will call coach net if and when it becomes necessary.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
The first answer is to keep your tires in good shape, properly inflated, not too old. Secondly, when you have trouble and call your road service company, the tire guy will come out and mount a new tire on your rim and send you on your way... after having removed sufficient bucks from your pocket, of course.