cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer gas class A ride quality

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So in the process of looking for a new gas class A I was thinking about ride quality. I`ve read that some ride harsher than others (everything we are looking at is a Ford Chassis). I know the older ones can ride hard. just wondering what some of you felt about the ride.

BTW, I we really like the Forest River Georgetown with the bunk slide, (probably the 3 slide model).

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
27 REPLIES 27

Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I took out a 2013 with a V10 with I think was called a power platform chassis. Seemed to ride pretty good but that motor screamed.

Depends on the quality of the MH and its doghouse insulation. I added $150 of sound deadening materials to the inside of my doghouse and it made a world of difference. Only hear the engine when it's above 3500 rpm, and then not bad.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I took out a 2013 with a V10 with I think was called a power platform chassis. Seemed to ride pretty good but that motor screamed.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Explorer
Explorer
Hbrown wrote:
Suggestions would be appreciated. We purchased a 2012 Allegro 34TGA and did so from an individual in FL. So, the test drive was benign on flat roads. Since then we have taken it to and through a lot of curvy roads and it sways like crazy. Tire pressure is where it needs to be. It is a Ford V10. What can I do to improve handling and where should I go to do it?

Thanks,

Get some Koni FSD shocks. That plus 4+ degrees caster and air bags on the rear axle made our old F51 comfortable and easy to drive (for a 35' long, 12' high box on a truck chassis).
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our '02 Georgetown is an 11-ton box truck underneath the home section and it rides like one. We've put 5000 miles on it in four years. Am I going to spend thousands of dollars trying to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse to make 1250 miles a year marginally more comfortable? No way! I'd rather spend the money on gas and CG fees.

To each his own, but that's my take.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

RCD1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road an it drives like a dream and is quiet

dsurette
Explorer
Explorer
Did the CHF on front and rear of my 2013 Coachmen Encounter and the results were way better than I had hoped for. Ford truck center charged $228.00 to do it. Best investment yet.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
pkunk wrote:
CHP = Cheap Handling Fix

On a Ford chassis do the CHP, install 4 air bags and remove the factory shocks and put on Monroe RV shocks they are a softer ride, and run air pressure at 80 psi if that is what the specs say.

I did this and my ride quality improved from harsh to smooth..

Also don't forget to sound proof doghouse and under floors in front of RV this will make it quieter, most gas motorhomes don't have sound proofing in those areas.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I recently experienced the huge difference that wheelbase can make. I shuttled a 2011 Newmar 29-ft with a Ford V-10 on a 190-inch wheelbase some 1,200 miles from BC to the Yukon, and found it to ride hard and choppy. Then 2 weeks later I brought a 2007 Fleetwood 31-foot from Arizona to the Yukon with an 8.1 Workhorse on a 208-inch wheelbase, and the difference is quite dramatic - it's both smoother and more stable.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny, and here i thought you just pack up a class a ad go. LOL. I know it took me a few thousand miles to get my current combo set up properly. Ya i know on the GVWR, one class C had a low CCC of about 2k lbs. that would be over weight without people in it! I will check on the wheelbase issue, because the same is true with a truck/suv. The shorter the axle to hitch the better it will tow when set up properly.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy anything, look at the wheelbase numbers and the total length of the coach. Many makers of gas motorhomes will use too short of chassis and end up with a coach with a huge rear overhang. Buy the coach with the shortest distance between the rear cap and the rear tires. It will handle better, without any modifications, than the coach with a long overhang.

Also look at GVWR ratings. Many manufactures build coaches on too light of chassis. A 37 ft gas motorhome should be on a minimum of a 24,000 lb chassis.

And lastly, before you do any chassis modifications, get the coach weighed and the tire pressures adjusted. Then get a few thousand miles of driving experience and you will then be able to decide if anything else is needed.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Aughra
Explorer
Explorer
i have a georgetown 2014 335s. the best thing i did was add the blueox rear trak bar and also the chf on the front. it still feels like a big truck but that is because it is.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Drive it and listen.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone! still leaning toward the Georgetown. I`ll have to check on the suspension. I know the company Mor-Ryde, but what is on the suspension to make it ride smoother?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
We've had one each of the above. First Class a was a used '04 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB on the Workhorse Chassis. If the 8.1 engine, and chassis had been as good as the coach, I'd still have it. Even after tire pressure adjustment, it still was one of the worst driving units I've owned. Traded down to an '11 Winnebago Vista 26P thinking we wants something smaller. Better handling on the earlier F-53, but rode like a buckboard. A six hour trip would wear me out. I eventually got a new '14 Itasca 35F on the F-53 with the "Mor/Ryde suspension. Drives like a dream. IIRC, Ford started adding the Mor/Ryde sometime during the '13 Chassis run.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW