cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No heat/not turning on

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
Still kinda new at this rv thing and only owned lessthen a year, so thanks for the help.
1999 holiday rambler 40' 2 units on the top.
Last time I used the roof top units was mid summer and ac worked great. Now cold out was trying to use heat and it doesn't work. It has 1 thermostate for both units. It's a 4 button thermo and you hold the top 2 buttons in to switch from zone 1 to zone 2.
Go to fire up the heat this weekend, turn the on/off switch on the bottom and the display lights up like normal. But when selecting the mode... only goes to fan, cool, mode off. Nether unit kicks on, it doesn't say which zone its controlling like normal and nothing happens.
checked the breakers in a small box between the bathroom, and bedroom. Nothing else i could find that may go to the units.

thanks guys .........
23 REPLIES 23

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.williamhendrix.com/Products.html

Problem solved with the help of this guy. Bad comunication wire from zone 1 unit and the thermostat. I made a new cable and all works ....... furnace, and heat pump showed up. Also the units fired up.....

Thanks guys

Now I just have to run the new cable through ceiling and down the wall ... joys

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
If it's your furnace, I've listed a troubleshooting guide. If it's just the heat strips in your A/C unit. This probably won't help.

HERE is a troubleshooting guide that might help.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our last weekend camp out, it got cold both nights. The first night, the furnace worked fine. The second night, the RV got down to 50 inside because the furnace didn't turn on. When I got up the next morning. I tapped the thermostat firmly 3 or 4 times with the soft side of my fist. I heard a click, and the furnace turned on. The next week, I installed a new thermostat.

Please note that after installing the thermostat, testing the furnace will work. Testing the A/C requires that you remember to turn the 120v power back on first. (I spent about 20 minutes cussing and troubleshooting why the darned A/C now wouldn't work.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
I was running it off the generator..... Both units are getting the 120 volts from the gen.

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
It still will not even turn on the fan or anything.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
First check outside and find the propane tank and make sure the valve is open. Second, I assume you are plugged in to shore power but the skipping sounds like it is only operating on the 12 volt. You mentioned the front auxillary switch which is run from the dash heater. Good luck but I would try to get the gas furnace going before I took too much apart.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have heat pump rooftop A/C units, then your furnace is separate. It sounds like your thermostat is not getting the signal from the furnace, indicating to me a disconnect between the furnace unit and the thermostat. My furnace is located underneath the refrigerator unit and has an outside access door. Since I have not had any problems with mine, I have not poked around in there, but I suspect there may be a fuse or disconnect or fuel valve or something in that area that may be a problem.

If you look on the outside of the coach, you should see an access door similar to that of the water heater (mine is on the passenger's side underneath the refrigerator access door). I'd start there and trace access to the furnace components looking for loose/damaged wires, fuses, connectors, etc.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a remanufactured thermostat from one of the above links.
Still no go, still nothing comes on, thermo lights up you hit the mode button goes to fan, cool, mode off. But nothing come on..... No option for heat, heat pump, furnace ect....
All fuses in motorhome, breakers, ect is good.
Both units in roof has 120v, and 12 volt power and the 3 amp fuses and also good.
Not sure we're to go from here.
Help?

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Slojoe72 wrote:
The fantastic fan works awesome ... Now that I know what it is.
I pulled the thermo off the wall and appears there is a few solders joints that are dull and looks like they may have hot hot.
So who fixes these since they do not make

Here is a couple of other repair possibilities

repair of 4 button thermostat

another site 4 button thermostat repair

I can't find the reference now, but I've read somewhere that Dinosaur Electronics will repair these thermostats. Might be worth a phone call. Link below:

Dinosaur Electronics

I save these references because I'm still nursing my old 4 button along with a semi-annual cleaning.

Good luck with your repair.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Slojoe72 wrote:
I pulled the thermo off the wall and appears there is a few solders joints that are dull and looks like they may have hot hot.

I checked on Ebay and see that there are remanufactured units available at $120+. Can be converted to 5 button but cost is over $300.

I bought a new one from local RV store, but that was 5-6 years ago.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
Reset procedure did not work .... Even on the fan setting nether unit comes on and not working.
Same situation ...... Goes from cool, to fan only, to mode off. I did notice the every time you hit the mode button it goes to the next function except when it gets to cool .... You have to hit mode button 2 times to go to the next function.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you go through the thermostat reset procedure that is on page 18 of the manual that mountainair05 referenced at the bottom of page 1 of this thread. Hopefully, that will get you going.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Slojoe72 wrote:
Yes switch is on .... Digital thermo. I've used before for ac and controls both zones, and I thought when you cycle through the modes there was an option for heat, and also heat pump.
What's fantastic fan?

The fantastic fan is the roof exhaust fan that is in the kitchen area (at least it is in our HR). With the vent hatch opened the fantastic fan thermostat controls when the fan runs.

As far as the rest is concerned, it sounds like the thermostat control for the heat/heat pump is not working because the proper modes are not appearing when choosing on the thermostat. I replaced my thermostat a few years ago, not that expensive. Next step could be that the main control board is bad. This is located usually in the zone 1 unit. JMHO
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units