Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil change on a class C rv with ford V10 engine

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Im new to this site but wanted info on part numbers for oil filters, oil type, and oil capacity on a 2000 Ford V10 chassis. I am thinking i could change the oil myself and avoid huge cost at a mechanic shop. Also looking for air filter part numbers. any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I use the Ford recommended MotorCraft FL820S filter & MotorCraft 5W20 Synthetic oil.

get your Ford oil and filter at walmart and allow the oil to drain..

russian roulette at these oil change places....do you feel lucky?

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
6qts of oil with a motocraft 820s filter... Specify this filter regardless of if you change the oil or someone changes it for you as it has the ADBV in it which will help keep the start up rumble to a minimum... If you have a tow package with oil cooler add another 1.5 qts to the shopping list...

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do my oil changes, but that was 20 years ago. By the time I go go buy the supplies amd take the tiem to do it and then run the old oil back to the store, then I could of had it done. Camping World charges I think about $65 to do it. My local Ford dealership said $50. I'm getting it done this week at the Ford dealership. I'm not worried about saving a few bucks. If I were, then I wouldn't have an RV.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is an easy change, if you are skinny enough to slide under the motorhome. Whether or not it saves you big bucks depends on the price of having it done.

My Ford dealer changes the oil and filter on my C motorhome for $20 plus waste disposal fee. He does in on my E-350 van for $10 plus disposal. At Walmart the price of the Motorcraft filter plus six quarts of Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W20 is currently a little under $30; that's buying the filter for $7, 5 quart bottle for $18 and an extra quart for topping off. It is thus cheaper to have it done than for me to do it myself, and the dealer does the front end and driveshaft lube as part of the job.

When I do it myself, it is to save the time and hassle of taking the motorhome over to the dealership, and sometimes having to make an appointment for use of one of the truck bays.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I change my own oil at home.
I use exclusively Mobile One Extended Performance and a Mobile One filter.

Extended performance

I change the oil every 7,500 miles. That way I can change it before I leave for a trip and not have to worry about it until I get home again. Expensive up front, but super convenient plus I'm running a really good oil.

This works for me but might not for others.

Now if you rig is still under warranty, you will want to stick carefully with the manufactures requirements. I've been out of warranty for many years.

Enjoy your travels.
๐Ÿ™‚

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I use the Ford recommended MotorCraft FL820S filter & MotorCraft 5W20 Synthetic oil.

Yes, and available at almost every Walmart.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the many Ford sites,also go to Ford.com site and change ownership into your name to get all call backs etc. sent to you and tons of information.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just go to a big box auto parts store and tell them I need 6 quarts of 5w20 oil and a filter for a 2006 Ford E450.

Personally, I always get the Mobile 1 brand, but that is just me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I use Jeffy Lube, one shop here can fit mine Class C inside. Runs me about $80.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I would look underneath the engine, and see what brand and number oil filter is already on there. Cross reference it first via Google, then go buy the parts local. Oil should be pretty common, it takes what 5 or 6 quarts? What does the chassis manual say that came with the owner's manual?

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I normally do my own oil changes due to the cost at oil change places. I go to Autozone and look up a Ford F550 V10 engine and use the part numbers for filters. Your oil fill cap should tell you what type of oil to use. I can't help you on the capacity though. You might try asking the Ford dealer in your area, they usually will tell you. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Moved from Forum Technical Support