cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil change question

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Due to virus issues, we'll only put about 1600 miles on the coach ( Winnebago Vista with V10) this season. I changed the oil (full synthetic) and filter last Nov. and am wondering if I need to change it this fall with so few miles on it?
18 REPLIES 18

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Synthetic oil does not wear out. You have few miles on it. It can go a couple of years with little mileage and still protect your engine.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Donโ€™t waste your money.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Yes if you tend to use the Class A to go a 1/4 mile to the grocery then by all means change it.

OR, if you are one of those people who start the engine every couple of weeks and let it idle without driving!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes if you tend to use the Class A to go a 1/4 mile to the grocery then by all means change it.
If you rolled in from a 200+ mile day and parked it then it is fine for the winter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest issue with vehicle that do not see many miles between "scheduled" oil changes is that the engine never get up to full operating temperature to drive out any moisture. It take over 30 minutes of highway driving to achieve that.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Very good advice here....

wolfe10 wrote:
Agree, I wouldn't change it UNLESS you have started it multiple times without driving it far enough to get the OIL, not just coolant up to operating temperature.

Yes if condensation in crankcase, I would change it. Oil is cheap-- engines, not so much.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, I wouldn't change it UNLESS you have started it multiple times without driving it far enough to get the OIL, not just coolant up to operating temperature.

Yes if condensation in crankcase, I would change it. Oil is cheap-- engines, not so much.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. Leave it as is. Give it a good drive before you put it away to burn off any moisture.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldnโ€™t change it but Iโ€™d probably drive every few months and run the generator while doing so.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Another "wouldn't change it" vote.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With Full Synthetic (What brand by the way Most of the "Synthetics" are not really synthetic. but very highely refined dino oil) you likely will be OK but oil can go bad due to age as well as wear, tear and impurities so sending a drop or to to a lab might be a good idea. I do not have links for labs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, wouldn't change it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldnโ€™t change it for another year at least.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on no need to change it.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.