cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Fuel

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Did a search but came up with nothing, maybe the way I wrote it.
Got some old diesel fuel in my MH. Last time we used it was 2015. Some time after that I put about 20 gals in it and now it has about 15 gals missing. Must have done more driving than I thought.
We are going to Tucson (about 140 miles each way). Have a Pilot about half way if I need it.
What I would like to know is should I go all the way down and half back to the Pilot on old fuel or fill it here then here again?
Have a Chevron right around the corner from me that I can get in and out easy.

Thanks
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.
12 REPLIES 12

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help.
Think I am going to put some sea foam in it and run all the fuel out that I can. Will fill it up when we get home.
Going to do oil/all filters change after we get back.
Again thanks for the help
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel back when I lived in New Hampshire. Never used any type of stabilizer or had any algae issues. Just kept the tank full. Made it thru 12 winters.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get in the habit of using fuel stabilizer, especially near the end of the season. Algae can be a problem along with condensation. Use some fuel additives to take out the water. I like the stuff in the white bottle available at any truck stop.

Carrying a fuel filter is absolutely the right thing to do with any diesel.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
The key with diesel and any other fuel is to keep it from accumulating moisture from the tank "breathing". To do that, when parked for any length of time keep the tank full. The smaller the air space at the top of the tank the better. In your case, 2015 diesel is fine. In AZ moisture is not a problem either. Do carry an extra fuel filter in case you need to change it and then when you return fill the tank up and park it.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice up above.

I'd use the fuel, but I'd pour a bottle of Seafoam in first, and I'd carry a new fuel filter in the unlikely event that there is algae in the tank. I'd fill up asap at the nearest station too.

BTW, there's typically an infrastructure to deal with contaminated diesel fuel in big rigs in most towns large enough for a diesel repair shop so if something does happen...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
SMELL IT. Does it smell like "diesel" or has it "turned"?

That will give you the answer.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As long as no algae has grown in it, I would just run it out. If algae has started just plan on changing fuel filters 2 or 3 times.
I would run it nearly out and refill with fresh.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put a can of diesel SEA FOAM in it and go.sea foam at any wal mart.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The new ULSD diesel is not the same as the old diesel. It does breakdown sooner and is susceptible to absorbing moisture, which shouldn't be a huge problem in AZ. It is a good idea to always keep the fuel tank as full as possible if you are going to let it sit for any length of time. I would fill up at the closest station and keep an eye on the fuel filters. You might want to put in a can of diesel additive to combat any algae that may have formed.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your diesel isn't old enough to worry about. Fill up at the Chevron, it's probably cheaper than the truck stop.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel doesn't ruin like gasoline. Years ago I bought an old diesel farm tractor that had been sitting for 10 or 12 years. With a new battery and bleeding the injectors, it was up and running in 10 minutes. I ran that tank of fuel out and refilled. Never a problem.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not consider 2015 diesel as old so I would buy wherever it's the cheapest assuming you are not going to let it sit without the tank full.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...