Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One jack sticking

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have the HWH jacks on our '99 DSDP.
The control panel is the manual one, not the "one button level" model.
My left rear jack is only retracting about half way, and stops.
The other three jacks operate normally.
We will have to leave here in 3 weeks, and I'd sure like to have this resolved before that.
Any ideas?
Bob
40 REPLIES 40

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Extending the jacks fully in the presence of high winds/extreme slopes has the potential to bend the jack shaft(s). Once this happens, the seals eventually fail, then leak and/or the shaft binds when extended and retraction is attempted. Once this happens, nothing short of replacing the jack solves the problem.

Some of the aftermarket jacking systems I've seen installed are out of place on a flexi flyer red wagon, let alone an +18,000 lb. class A RV.

Chum lee

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
As many have said cleaning and lubing the shafts wil often result in a temporary solution. It will not cure things forever.

Since I no longer have a good hydraulic repair shop near my home base I have never tried it, but I would think that we could have a jack rebuilt locally at a good price in most cases if we have the ability to do the removal and reinstallation ourselves or with a little help from our friends.

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue. Sprayed with WD 40 as my wife worked it up and down. After a few cycles it operated normally.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sprig wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
...This also happens to HWH jacks under warranty?...

If it failed under warranty, then I'd figure it was built improperly and let HWH pair for the repair.

I have Power Gear level jacks on my RV. I've had each one of them stick at some point in time over the last 10 years I've owned it.

My jacks get progressively quicker to retract with more frequent use, and slower when stationary for periods of time.

Sometimes inexpensive patch-job repairs can outlast the life of the vehicle.

Are you aware your Jacks have grease zirks in the bottom collar to inject grease to help the jacks retract? IF you have Powergear Jacks, that is why they have the grease zirks. THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT HWH JACKS, NOT POWERGEAR. Apples and Oranges. Doug

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bmwbob wrote:
Guys,
I was just asking for some help. It was not my intent to start a war!
Please note: ALL I did to get my sticking jack to function properly was to spray the shaft with some WD40 as several of you had suggested.
I'd did not push,pry, jiggle or pound it. In fact, I did NOTHING else other than to push the "Store" button on the control panel.
At this point, while the symptoms may indicate to someone more knowledgeable that other action may be required down the road, I, as a layman can only say that it wasn't working, and now it is.
Bob

I'm not even close to being an RV mechanic, but I was one that gave you the WD-40 advice. My jacks first started sticking, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I learned to give them a boost with the 2x4 when needed and then as long as I lubed them a couple of times a year I haven't had a problem. So for 6 years now I've spent probably close to $2 worth of WD-40 or Silicone (if that much) and they work just fine. When they quit working just fine I'll pay somebody to replace them, but as long as they work just fine I'll spray 25 cents worth of WD-40 on them to keep them working.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
...This also happens to HWH jacks under warranty?...

If it failed under warranty, then I'd figure it was built improperly and let HWH pair for the repair.

I have Power Gear level jacks on my RV. I've had each one of them stick at some point in time over the last 10 years I've owned it.

My jacks get progressively quicker to retract with more frequent use, and slower when stationary for periods of time.

Sometimes inexpensive patch-job repairs can outlast the life of the vehicle.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sprig wrote:
How much $$$ for a new jack?

How much $ for some lube?

I'll keep applying a lubricant 'till the lubricant does not allow it to retract.

This also happens to HWH jacks under warranty. Would YOU just say OK, I will just crawl under and lube when needed? Would you not state, I WANT that jack correctly fixed. It is under warranty. HWH replaces the jack cylinder when this happens under warranty. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sprig wrote:

I'll keep applying a lubricant 'till the lubricant does not allow it to retract.

This is what I would do. BUT, MOST people want the system to function as designed and some cannot easily crawl under and do that when needed. As the other poster stated, WHEN that bad jack finally fails, it can be a bear getting it up to drive. I have had them stick so that using a 5 ton floor jack cannot get the jack all the way up. It gets it up enough to travel, but then you have to disconnect the down switch for that jack. Doug

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sprig wrote:

that's sort of what I did. then it jammed full down and I was SOOL.
bumpy

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
listen to doug
he doesnt get paid to answer all these posts.
he does it on his own. he doesnt solicit
service work or sell parts here
he does it, imo, because there is a need for
good substantiated answers, based on experience,
and the service manual
he sees many times the problems that an individual owner sees.
like i said, listen to doug. i havent seen a wrong answer yet.
i monitor this site, as well as others, and also answer questions.
there is no need to add my response, because it would be the same
as dougs.
i work for hwh full time. i also do not sell parts or service on this forum

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
PursuitInsight wrote:
sorry about this. i related my experience, first hand and this was 3 weeks ago that i replaced the oil. i only wanted to help and have no explanation but the result was that 1 year of 2x4 and a wood block (still in the motorhome) action is no longer required.

i experienced it, you know better
Yves

edit: brake fluid is contaminated by rubber deterioring and not moisture
it becomes black with hose particules

Brake fluid breaks down from heat and absorbs moisture which results in lower boiling points in the brake fluid which leads to brake fade failure under hard braking and Class Gassers all have hot brakes at one time or another

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,
I was just asking for some help. It was not my intent to start a war!
Please note: ALL I did to get my sticking jack to function properly was to spray the shaft with some WD40 as several of you had suggested.
I'd did not push,pry, jiggle or pound it. In fact, I did NOTHING else other than to push the "Store" button on the control panel.
At this point, while the symptoms may indicate to someone more knowledgeable that other action may be required down the road, I, as a layman can only say that it wasn't working, and now it is.
Bob

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
sorry about this. i related my experience, first hand and this was 3 weeks ago that i replaced the oil. i only wanted to help and have no explanation but the result was that 1 year of 2x4 and a wood block (still in the motorhome) action is no longer required.

i experienced it, you know better
Yves

edit: brake fluid is contaminated by rubber deterioring and not moisture
it becomes black with hose particules