cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-30 Brake Squeal

Bill_Carry
Explorer
Explorer
My 1994 P30 chassis M/H has always been fussy regarding brake squeal. I bought this M/H new and have over 220,000 miles on it. Found from experience that only Delco (GM) pads would not squeal. Now have a bad squeal from L/R brake coming to stop. Six months ago the pads,rotors, calipers and hoses were replaced in the rear by a very reputable truck shop (I'm getting to creaky to do this stuff myself like I always used to). Recently this bad squeal developed. The shop that did the work last spring replaced the rear pads again. They didn't find anything on the L/R brake suspicious. The squeak is reduced, but still happens. It takes a half hour of stop and go driving to get things hot enough for the noise to occur when coming to a stop.

Any thoughts or experiences that might help would sure be appreciated.
1994 Georgie Boy Swinger
6.5 TD Chevy P-30
16 REPLIES 16

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No adjustment on disc brakes!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Usually means one brake is out of adjustment. You hear it on Class 8 trucks. Adjust them until they are against the metal and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My shop runs new rotors through the lathe. The ones for my rig was out very slightly on both sides.
Another thing they did was to wire wheel brush the hub to remove the old paper liner that GM used during assembly line operation. They use some lube on the face of the hub to rotor

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
turbojimmy: Was the new rotors checked to insure they were not warped?

No - I assumed they weren't warped because they were new. Bad assumption I guess.

EDIT: And I just realized that I said left front. It's actually the right, but I doubt that's relevant.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
turbojimmy: Was the new rotors checked to insure they were not warped?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My left front does the same thing when it heats up. Loud squealing. I assume that wheel is getting hotter than the rest for whatever reason. Subscribing for more info. Some good advice here so far. My pads, rotors, calipers and hose are new on that wheel. Lubed the slide points on the caliper but NOT where the pads meet the caliper. I'll try that next.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would focas on why the pads would wear out so quickly. You said you just had them replaced last spring. New pads will squeel for a while. I would use an IR gun to see if the LR is much hotter than the others, which would indicate that the caliper is hanging up, the piston sticking, or maybe the brake line swelling closed not allowing the caliper to release.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Another issue that I ran across is the piston needs to be metal and not bakelite.
I would not use the spray. It needs to be something that will last.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2. things need to slide very easy in the pad guides. there is a brake spray lube to try a easy fix.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Outside pad to caliper is one of the places that should be lubed with proper high temperature lube. The ends of the pads, both inner and outer, must be lubricated. The face of the piston where it contacts the pad must be lubricated. The retaining wedge on the bottom must be lubed as well as the track where it goes in. The high temperature is not the same as used on drum brakes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing that you could try, if it has not been done. They make a lubricant that goes on the back side of the pads between the caliper piston and the out side where the outer pad sits. I have know this to help with a squealing sound.
Dr Quick

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Another issue I had, was not the proper lube used on the slide locations on the calipers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interested in knowing the temperature of the rotors between the two sides since you say the squeal starts after it has had time to heat up.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What kind of pads?
Did they check the new rotors?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow