cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting or Coating the Floor of an RV Garage

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody painted or coated the floor of your RV garage, or your regular garage floor?

What did you use to clean and coat? Any suggestions, or things NOT to do or don't work?

Floor is about 3 years old and has normal amount of spills, battery acid, etc.

Thanks.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
14 REPLIES 14

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
i've wanted to paint/ coat my garage floor for some time now but wonder what the point would be since it's just gonna get soiled by oil, gas, dirty salty slush in the winter, black streaks from rubber tires and more. just how well does the paint/coating hold up to the above and more importantly how easily are those substances cleaned/removed from the painted or coated surface?
you couldn't imagine how well they hold up! Oil up with a towel. I live in CO so snow, road grime, Mag chloride, all cleaned with water and a push broom. In 13 years I've never used soap. I did damage a spot (dulled) with acetone I tried to use to get a skid mark off I made showing off one day.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

Lots of things to ponder.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you DIY, you have to get it IMMACULATELY clean first. You have to get any type of grease out of the concrete. The floors look great and are super durable.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i've wanted to paint/ coat my garage floor for some time now but wonder what the point would be since it's just gonna get soiled by oil, gas, dirty salty slush in the winter, black streaks from rubber tires and more. just how well does the paint/coating hold up to the above and more importantly how easily are those substances cleaned/removed from the painted or coated surface?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Mine looks identical to fireup's. They ground the concrete, even though it was new and never parked on, acid washed it and then did the coating. Back in 2104 it was $3 a sq ft.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
My garage in California has the same grey w/black specs as Scott's (FireUp). It was done in 1999 and the top urethane is starting to yellow. Not peeling, etc, just yellowing a little. It has been a great surface to repel anything that gets on it.

I wish I had a motorhome garage at home, it's just for cars.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
In Mexico many car buffs tile the floor. They buy tiles that are seconds. looks awesome. I used a one part epoxy paint from HD.

Moisheh

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
After doing a lot of talking with the various companies that apply the epoxy or acrylic coatings the ones I talked with said it has to be ground to ensure a positive bond. In my sub there were at least 5 garages coated over the years, the three that were washed with acid and coated failed somewhere in the garage. The ones ground were like the day installed, some as long as 12 years. So I just had mine done, garage and driveway, and yes they ground it all to a pure white looking surface. Cleaned with a solution then applied a primer. Primer dried 2-3 hours then two coats of color back to back and then as the last coat was being applied the other worker tossed the chips to completly cover the color coat. They returned two days later and scrapped off the extra chips, then coated with a uv barrier clear. Looks fantastic, it is a commercial coating.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
X2

We paid a company to do ours - and 13 years later it likes like original. We had solid color surface prior and had some issues, so they came back and did this one with flakes under warranty and it has been without issue.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
sealevel ram wrote:
Has anybody painted or coated the floor of your RV garage, or your regular garage floor?

What did you use to clean and coat? Any suggestions, or things NOT to do or don't work?

Floor is about 3 years old and has normal amount of spills, battery acid, etc.

Thanks.

sealevel ram,
Well Sir, when we bought our present home in Lake Havasu City right at 3 years ago, it was brand spanking new. No one had occupied it. So, that meant that no one had even driven or parked on the driveway or, inside either the RV garage or, the 2.5 car garage. It was all brand new concrete. So, about 2 weeks before closing on the deal, we and the real estate person/builder, agreed to have the floors professionally EPOXY coated so that, by the time we arrived from where we were moving from, San Diego, they would be completely cured.

I drew out plans for "striping" it too for where the RV is to be aligned when backing it in. Even though the floor was brand new, the company still ground it to make sure the surface was the right porosity and, right texture, to receive the coatings. It was then coated with one coat of primer/prep. Then, two coats of top coat and the specks were applied while the second coat was wet.

Once that cured, it was time for the YELLOW parking stripes, one on each side, equal distance from the walls, to be used for guiding the RV into the EXACT right spot, each and every time when backing. When those were cured, it was time for two coats of Sherman Williams ultra clear coat epoxy. The floor cured for 8 days before we moved in. It's been flawless ever since, about 3 years. I had TWO yellow stripes painted because, if I ever DRIVE it in forward, I can look out the window and follow the one line, to place it dead center of the RV garage. That way, based on the width of the interior of the RV garage, I can open bay doors on both sides with plenty of clearance.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The RV garage is 16' wide x 53' long and the two and a half car is, heck I forgot but, BIG. The whole job cost me $3,700 and has a five year guaranty against chipping and peeling. So far, so good. Here's a couple of pics. One is before and the other two are after the coatings. Sorry for the mess, that was move in day. It's now like you see in garagejournal.com, nice and neat and absolutely NOTHING on the floor except cabinets, in specific spots. It gets mopped about once a week. It sure makes for nice working on and, slipping under the Jeep or the motor home for this or that.

Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Go to garagejournal.com they have a whole forum on flooring. Basically you need to grind the floor then clean it before applying epoxy.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
In a previous house I used the garage floor epoxy paint that you can buy at HD or Lowes. It held up well to daily use of two cars in and out for the 5 years I remained in that house before moving.

I pressured washed the floor let it dry for a few days, used muratic acid to clean again (brushed on and hosed off), let dry a week then followed the application instructions.

Mike

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did my concrete pads that are exposed to the weather with Color Crete concrete paint made in Pompano Beach... http://www.surfacelogix.net/colorcrete-sealer.html Should be a dealer closer to you.
Pressure washed after scrubbing with Clorox, let dry, and rolled on.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is probably too late to do a really good job.

My only experience was with "garage floor paint". I prep'ed with TSP and muratic acid. It looked really good.......for about 6 months. After that, it started peeling in the tire tracks and after a year in other areas.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"