cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCM?

thomasroughton
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know when your PCM is bad? I lost power to ignition and cluster along with a few other things and was told by the mechanic that the PCM was bad and my options were a rebuild for $900 or a new replacement for $1300. Does this sound about right? We have a 2004 Sunova on a WH chassis. I guess I'm just looking for verification? TIA
9 REPLIES 9

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A bad PCM is very unusual. Unfortunately it is difficult for you to take it to get a second opinion. You could have a frayed wire or a loose connection which would give the same indications and be a lot cheaper to fix.
Some mechanics just automatically go for the most expensive part while they try to figure what is actually wrong. If that doesn't fix it they will hit you up for more parts until they really find the problem.

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Try going to irv2 forum for your coach but pcm bad is unlikly
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
All depends on the engine. PCM's cause a wide range of problems and symptoms. Some have their own computer and codes.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
If the diagnostics are correct, go online & search for a PCM, new or rebuilt. You'll find them for a whole lot less. Simple disconnect & install.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look for something simple before you replace the computer. Three times in 10 years I lost power to my dash, and ignition. The first time was a bad solenoid, the second time was corrosion at the battery disconnect and the 3rd time was a shorted out wire causing a 15 amp fuse to blow until I found it. Ask him to explain it how he determined it was the computer and post it here. They can fail but it is not common.

eddieelk
Explorer
Explorer
What engine do you have? Eddie Elk.
'98 Pace Arrow 36B w/460,'98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #383823, Gateway Getaways RV Club

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
How did he diagnose it?

The only time I've seen that happen on a GM truck, the PCM was fine. But it kept blowing fuses. It turned out to be a short in one of the oxygen sensor harnesses, which melted from the hot exhaust (pass side). This O2 sensors and crank sensor were the only components on the same circuit as the PCM. I had to isolate and test each branch circuit until I narrowed it down.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Powertrain Control Module

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure I know what a PCM is....unless you mean the ECM.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad