cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Gear Jacks

don_b1
Explorer
Explorer
My Power Gear jacks just quit on me. I had the jacks extended and was level but decided to move coach forward. I retracted the jacks and everything was fine ,I went to extend and they would not extend. I went through all the steps, made sure emergency was on securely, did it a few times to make sure. I get a steady green light when I push the on button but when I push to lower the jacks all I get is a clicking sound from solenoid, no motor or pump noise at all. A few years ago I had a similar issue and a few taps on motor/pump assembly got things working fine for a few years. I did a little testing and I am getting 12.9 volts to motor leads when pushing button so I am assuming everything is fine to the motor. I did check fluid level and that is up to quarter inch below fill point. I am hoping it is not the motor/pump assembly but don't know what else it could be. I tried to google a price for the pump/motor assembly and it tells me every bit of info has to go through an authorized dealer. I need some ideas or suggestions to try that I may have overlooked. I also would like to hear an estimate of this assembly if anyone has had theirs' replaced. I believe the part number, according to my literature, is 13-1100, thanks. Don.
2003 Dolphin Model 5380, Workhorse 8.1, 04 Honda CRV, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Banks System, Garmin 7200.
12 REPLIES 12

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Powergear will sell to (their policy) either an AUTHORIZED dealer....or retailer. "Authorized"...well, I bought parts from my RV dealer....and he is not on their list of "authorized". ($600+ for a replacement jack)
A "retailer" could be your local auto repair shop. (?)

I just get mad when this happens. The retailer or "authorized RV dealer" can make 100 bucks for making the same phone call I just made.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
My apology to OP. I didn't mean that I didn't believe you were told that just that I couldn't believe they would tell it. 🙂

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I got by with a melted wire where a 40 amp fuse plugged in on the power cable. My symptoms were the same as yours.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Are all the lights flashing on your control? If so, that is the culprit. I had to replace the control panel at $460. Also had to replace the motor which I got of Ebay for $70. The technician told me that if I would have tried to just replace the motor it would have burnt out when I first tried it because the control was telling the jacks to retract and extend at the same time. There was also 1-1/2 hrs. labor at $110 per hour to replace the motor. The control panel you can do yourself. The cheapest price I found for the control panel was $385 from PPL. But, the dealer had already ordered it from someplace else. I have the power gear unit with the rectangle shaped reservoir. Its larger because my main slide is run by the same pump as the jacks. The power gear units that only run the jacks have a smaller cylindrical shaped reservoir and they also have different control than mine.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

Your motor will need to be replaced or repaired. The pump should be fine. If you can, drain the system and remove the reservoir. Take it a part and remove the motor. Most places that repair alternators, starters and the such will be able to re-build your motor. I had the same exact problem, but chose to replace the motor. Problem is that the manufacturer of my MH chose to put the Power gear system behind my grill so that all the******from the road beats it up. My motor was toast from road grim so when I put everything back together I decided to seal EVERYTHING with a high temp silicon. This way nothing was going to get into the motor again....

Good Luck....

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
don b wrote:
I have tried it both ways, running and not running. I have applied the emergency brake a couple of times and played with gear shift, no response. Thanks for the suggestions.

See if you can bypass everything with a separate 12vdc source for testing the pump directly, before making too many assumptions about it's failure.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

don_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Power Gear and they responded within an hour. They did tell me I would have to purchase through an authorized dealer but did give me some trouble shooting advice. I am guessing it will be a bad motor/pump assembly and I hope it will not be the 5 grand as previous poster stated.
2003 Dolphin Model 5380, Workhorse 8.1, 04 Honda CRV, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Banks System, Garmin 7200.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Power Gear has a good support section on their website here PowerGear.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

sauerjoe1
Explorer
Explorer
Just had pump and resevor and hyd lines replaced 5000 grand
Dog named Casper
Cat named Prince
DW Mary :B
WE All GAVE SOME,SOME GAVE ALL !
Thank a Vet.

don_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried it both ways, running and not running. I have applied the emergency brake a couple of times and played with gear shift, no response. Thanks for the suggestions.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation, you said you have the emergency brake on but do you have the gearshift in PARK and the engine running? With the engine running the alternator will be putting 13.5 volts into the battery. Give it a try
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sent PG an email, they are very responsive.
2014 American Eagle