cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane pilot not igniting

rickvikki
Explorer
Explorer
Hello once again: Too many problems lately!!!
Is it possible that our propane hot water will not ignite because our house batteries need replacing. We are plugged into shore power so would think it would not matter if house batteries need replacing but thought we would ask anyway.

Thanks again Rick and Vikki
Rick and Vikki Landry
Ottawa, Canada
Tiffen Phaeton 2006 (40 ft.)
7 REPLIES 7

Pexring
Explorer
Explorer
First be sure you have a solid 12V to the water heater. Any less may not trip the ignitor. And of course you have plenty of propane? If you have both 12V and propane, then start looking for issues within the water heater like the thermal fuse or bad gas valve or loose wire or faulty ignitor board and so forth.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the posts about checking your 'thermal fuse'. It's a small device inline with power to the DSI module and is covered with a black sheath. It's a high temp device but they often just age out even if it never got too hot.

You can just take it out of the circuit, plug the two leads into each other (short it out of the circuit), and test without it. Won't hurt anything if you leave it out for a trip.

IMO!

Also note old-biscuit's point about the re-settable kind.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

jd620
Explorer
Explorer
Try unplugging it where it goes into the module and then plugging it back in.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is no pilot on most late model water heater. They are Direct Spark Ignition. (DSI)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rickvikki wrote:
Hello once again: Too many problems lately!!!
Is it possible that our propane hot water will not ignite because our house batteries need replacing. We are plugged into shore power so would think it would not matter if house batteries need replacing but thought we would ask anyway.

Thanks again Rick and Vikki

What brand/model of water heater?

Atwood does use a fusible link that is a one time device.

Suburban has resettable High Temp t-stats

Both when tripped prevent ANY 12V for spark ignition

So........

What Brand/Model and do you get any spark at all?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Mine would not work because there is a fusible link in one of the wires that go right in front of the water heater.

It is there to melt and opens the power to the electric valve if there is a fire in the frontal area (maybe from a mud wasp nest in the burner tube).

Anyway, on mine, the wires to this fusible link had corroded right at the fuse, and the connection needed to be cleaned up and recrimped.

So, it's definitely something to check.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Is your 12 volt switch that supplies 12v through out on? The switch is generally locating at the entrance steps.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down