cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchase of a former Rental Unit

LiebetheGSD
Explorer
Explorer
I have been out of camping for a number of years but came up through the ranks of tent, tent trailer and then travel trailer. This time I am looking to go to either a Class A or Class C, I have picked out a number of both A's and C's that I like both the floor plans and the general quality of but the cost of the new ones is more than I want to spend at this time. I want something under 32' so that it can go into most parks and prefer the A but I am not opposed to a C and it will probably be just myself and my dog and hopefully my wife will join us. One of my big dislikes is the location of the TV relative to the couch, most of the TV's are on a angle and I would prefer it to be straight ahead.
At the top of my list in the Class A's are the Newmar BayStar 3009, 3103, the Tiffen Allegro 31MA, 32SA and the Mirada 32SS.
At the top of my list in the Class C's are the Minnie Winnie 31D, G and K and the Leprechaun 319MB.
One of the things that has come up over and over is that when buying new there tends to be a number of issues with most units. Also, as I was looking a have seen a number of previous rental units with around 50,000km (32,000 miles) and thought that all of the bugs would be worked out with these units but was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these rental units before and what their experience has been. I have to admit it does make me a bit nervous to buy either used or a previous rental but I like the fact that the depreciation has already taken the big hit.
I still have some saving to do so will probably be looking to make the purchase in the fall of next year.

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LiebetheGSD wrote:

One of the big things I have learned is that the rental units that are built for the big rental companies appear to be stripped down versions, to me that is important as one of the items that I want is an auto leveling system so I doubt they would be on those units.

I would "guess" that 70% of the Class As lack a factory installed leveling system and that 99% of the Class Cs also lack them so just be sure that whatever you buy can be equipped with them HWH is my choice, that you can add later.
I did have my eyes on a Class B used that had levelers however.
bumpy

LiebetheGSD
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
The OP said he is not really a newbie, but did not say if he is a handyman familiar with RV things to fix.

If you can be your own RV Tech for the usual things, then it makes sense to get a used RV. Save huge big bucks.

If you have to pay a tech to do everything, then you might want one with some kind of warranty.

On the difference between "used" and "ex-rental" IMO look at the truck part of any used MH. Even if you are something of a handyman for the RV stuff, are you an auto mechanic? This is where the big bucks can hit you.

I have not read that linked thread on this, but I ASSume an ex-Rental MH would be better looked after on the truck side than a private sale, but there is no way to be sure.

FWIW, we really like our new to us 1991 Class C, and the work it needed to get camping with it cost little compared with the huge cost of a newer one. ( I can do RV stuff but not truck stuff)

So far, for under $10 grand, we are as well off as if we had spent $100 grand. Fact!

BTW, our 28 footer is about as big as I would want for being able to drive it around away from the camp site to get groceries or go to the dog park etc. I think if you go too big in a MH, you will need to tow a car to get around in.

First off a big thanks to all those that have contributed to this, I have really learned a lot and has given me a great deal to think about.

I am mechanically sufficient and don't mind doing some of the general maintenance myself, things like oil changes, fixing cabinets, trim, that sort of thing I would probably just do myself. I am no auto mechanic so would leave that sort of thing to a shop, preferably a good dealer. I know some people say it is a waste of money going to the dealer but if you have a good relationship and they treat you right I have no problem paying for that. A little tip for you all, when I go in to the dealer with my car I always leave something in the trunk, either 2 boxes of chocolates or 4 bottles of micro beer. One set is for the service guy at the desk and one set is for the mechanic. I typically get a free oil change or they magically replace my wiper blades, etc at some point during the year and the investment in the little gifts has more than paid for itself over the years, it doesn't happen every time but a little sign of appreciation will get you good karma down the road. Plus the head mechanic is usually the guy doing the work instead of a new person and that never hurts.

One of the big things I have learned is that the rental units that are built for the big rental companies appear to be stripped down versions, to me that is important as one of the items that I want is an auto leveling system so I doubt they would be on those units. Again, I would have to check the unit. I think that would steer me towards a smaller rental place if I decide to go that route, as they pointed out in the big thread, the mechanical maintenance would be done and there would be records.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP said he is not really a newbie, but did not say if he is a handyman familiar with RV things to fix.

If you can be your own RV Tech for the usual things, then it makes sense to get a used RV. Save huge big bucks.

If you have to pay a tech to do everything, then you might want one with some kind of warranty.

On the difference between "used" and "ex-rental" IMO look at the truck part of any used MH. Even if you are something of a handyman for the RV stuff, are you an auto mechanic? This is where the big bucks can hit you.

I have not read that linked thread on this, but I ASSume an ex-Rental MH would be better looked after on the truck side than a private sale, but there is no way to be sure.

FWIW, we really like our new to us 1991 Class C, and the work it needed to get camping with it cost little compared with the huge cost of a newer one. ( I can do RV stuff but not truck stuff)

So far, for under $10 grand, we are as well off as if we had spent $100 grand. Fact!

BTW, our 28 footer is about as big as I would want for being able to drive it around away from the camp site to get groceries or go to the dog park etc. I think if you go too big in a MH, you will need to tow a car to get around in.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
As usual when this topic comes up the same old tired cliches and innuendos come up with no facts to back them up.

I would suggest to the OP that they read the Buying a Rental Thread that was suggested before,it is a long read but there you will find 95 owners that own a Former Rental and their stories,none are unhappy with their decision.

As I have said before the argument against rentals is that the renters abuse the rentals. That infers that no private owner abuses their unit and that all private owners have maintained their unit correctly.

Rental units have to be maintained very well,otherwise they would not be profitable,they make no money when they are not on the road.

They are all refurbished before they are sold and come with a 1 yr./ 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances.

This is something you will not find from a private seller or any used RV Sales Lot.

Make an informed decision based on facts,not from old tired cliches and innuendos or stupid movies.

Everything I was going to say but I would also add that most of the people that are critical of ex rentals are doing so with no experience with them. "I saw" or "I heard" are not facts. I am positive that there are bad ex rental units and I am sure that there are bad used units sold privately or from RV lots. Would I buy another one? Tomorrow!!!!!! I have looked around at new and used and the ex rentals hands down were better!!!! Plus what I saved I could do a lot of repairs if I had to, so far I haven't had to.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As usual when this topic comes up the same old tired cliches and innuendos come up with no facts to back them up.

I would suggest to the OP that they read the Buying a Rental Thread that was suggested before,it is a long read but there you will find 95 owners that own a Former Rental and their stories,none are unhappy with their decision.

As I have said before the argument against rentals is that the renters abuse the rentals. That infers that no private owner abuses their unit and that all private owners have maintained their unit correctly.

Rental units have to be maintained very well,otherwise they would not be profitable,they make no money when they are not on the road.

They are all refurbished before they are sold and come with a 1 yr./ 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances.

This is something you will not find from a private seller or any used RV Sales Lot.

Make an informed decision based on facts,not from old tired cliches and innuendos or stupid movies.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had one 8 years, I'd buy again. Also big difference of somebody buying an RV off a lot and making it into a rental versus a rental company that has their units made to their spec's. Lot more durable.

After a couple years we found our x-rental to small for snowbirding, so we picked up trailer for longer 4 and 5 month trips. Worked out great for us. Class C for trips a month or less and trailer for long trips.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

LiebetheGSD
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
Please watch the Robin Williams movie "RV" and after seeing it ask yourself this question, "do I want to buy an RV driven by this type of person?"

And that is an excellent point. I never thought of it that way as I always treat my things carefully but that doesn't mean others do.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
aztdryheat has your answer.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
at any Nascar event, look at the rentals with the chairs up on the rubber roofs, etc. just save up a little longer and buy a "gently" used one. the one where the lady only drove it to church on Sunday.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
I won't go into detail but personally took a trip with a friend who rented a MH. He took it on roads that were no place to take it. It had a water leak and he just let it drip. I would sure hesitate to buy it. It went where no MH should go.

Q: What's the difference between an ATV and a rental RV?
A: The rental RV will go anywhere.

I would treat a rental as any used RV. Inspect it from top to bottom and have a good idea of what you are buying.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, I d buy one Its been through all the dummies and newbs.

.all works fine? Then the bugs are tested out. So are the mfgr monday morning flaws.
Best buy in my opinion.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I won't go into detail but personally took a trip with a friend who rented a MH. He took it on roads that were no place to take it. It had a water leak and he just let it drip. I would sure hesitate to buy it. It went where no MH should go.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Please watch the Robin Williams movie "RV" and after seeing it ask yourself this question, "do I want to buy an RV driven by this type of person?"
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

LiebetheGSD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. Before signing up I tried to do a search but it came up empty, could have been my lousy typing skills too though. Will read through it in the next couple of days.