cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Redoing Captain Chairs in Monaco Dip

Paints
Explorer
Explorer
I know allot of you have reupholstered your Captain chairs.. We were thinking of doing a vinyl that is soft feeling and looks like our ultra leather that is on our coach.. Any pros or cons.. We have a 2007 Dip.
Thanks in advance..
Also, we are in the Phoenix area if you know of someone that is good.
8 REPLIES 8

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
For material that is comfortable winter or summer, in dry or humid conditions, IMO you can't beat polyester blends for resistance to fade, napping, staining. Seldom, if ever, does the material thin out. Far easier to care for too, just vacuum every so often and shampoo once every two years or so.

Beats all those fake leathers like Ultraleather (or any of the other fake names for leather) hands down.

Have to say though that the real leather on my chairs is nice and soft, problem is it picks up the black from my jeans or grime from my hands way to fast. Easily cleaned with a rag and plain water with a bit of Dawn, it's just annoying to have to wipe them clean every couple days. So much so, that I don't. Once a month is more like it.

I have seen leather/polyester chairs that had the center panels all leather and the sides and edges poly so they wouldn't get dirty so fast...those seem pretty neat...I don't know how much they'd cost to have made though. But they'd be in the salvage market probably. So would all leather chairs, hard part would be to find 'real' leather instead of one of the fake leathers.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Paints
Explorer
Explorer
We went to three shops here in the Phoenix area.. All suggested we go with a good vinyl. The new ones look and feel like ultra leather and they said wear much better.. One shop that does allot of RVโ€™s wouldnt even do ultra leather.. I also looked on some hot rod websites and found that most were using high quality vinyl rather than leather or ultra leather. Our chairs come out on Monday Iโ€™ll get back on here and let you all know how they look.. I feel very comfortable with the shop thatโ€™s doing it.. He does lots of RVโ€™s in the Phoenix area..

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
When I reupholstered, the shop talked me out of "Ultraleather" which is a vinyl product, they said it just doesn't last and there are many less expensive options that last longer. I went with another vinyl that was about $25.00/yd cheaper.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were to get yourselves to south Texas, or anywhere along the border, crossing into Mexico the cost would likely be about a third.

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Paints, the last price quote I received for depressed ultra leather was $75/yard plus labor to do the seat cushions. This was from an outfit in the Phoenix area, can't recall the name. I'd be interested in learning the cost to redo your seat cushions as the ones in my Camelot need help.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Paints
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. We should be getting a price on the ultra leather and leather today..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not go with a good leather? Perforated leather would be cooler, look nicer, and last longer.