cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reflections on 6 Months of RV Research! ;)

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Class C Forum,

I caught the RV bug about 6 months ago after a particularly stressful stretch at work. Researching RVs has become the way that I decompress when I have some discretionary time. Currently, I have many semesters of college tuition to pay for our two daughters before making the RV plunge. In the meantime, I am going to continue to read forums and blogs as well as watching RV videos on You Tube. My DW and I even attended our first RV show in January. I live about 400 miles south of Elkhart, IN and we are considering a trip to the Promise Land this summer! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I "think" I have learned enough over the last six months that I wanted to summarize my thoughts and get some reactions from the pros. Of all the forums I have read over the months, this Class C Forum on RV.Net has been the one that I have read the most and has engaged my interest the most. Here is a summary of my thoughts about RVs.

First, buying an RV is a series of compromises. Most of us have limited incomes, so how much we spend is the first consideration. Related to that is whether one buys new or used. There are obviously benefits and challenges associated with both. The other issue is whether to buy a Class A, B, C, or a Truck Camper. I love the "idea" of a truck camper. The largest models by Host, Chalet, Lance, and Eagle Cap with double and triple slides are quite impressive; however, they require significant trucks to carry them, you have to exit the truck to enter them, and you often have to extend the slides to enter them. Despite my attraction to TCs, my rational and logical DW was not overly impressed. Class As represent the other end of the spectrum, typically. They are larger and often quite luxurious and include significant floor plan options and storage. However, I believe my DW and I would prefer the RVs associated with a van-like chassis. One option is the Class B or van conversions. Research and the opportunity to see a couple at a recent RV show led us to the conclusion that these are just too small for us. They are precision instruments and their followers are passionate and I appreciate this, but not for us. For the above reasons, I think the Class C represents the BEST compromise for my DW and myself, thus my decision to post this on the Class C forum.

OK, having chosen a Class C, I have determined there are still a wide number of variables to consider. Length, height, and width are all important variables to consider. I have discovered that gas vs diesel and MB or Ford or Chevy are hot topics among RVers. I have learned much from reading about these passionate discussions. Even once the decision that a Class C is probably best, there are still many fun compromises to be contemplated because I would like to have a 31 to 32 foot floor plan in a 25 foot rig. Obviously, the laws of physics are going to prevent that! For me, I break length into three categories 1) 24 to 26 feet, 2) 26 to 29 feet, and 3) 29 to 32 feet. Given these three categories, for me, I am leaning toward the tweener category of 26 to 29 feet. In terms of width, I prefer not wider than 8 feet (96 inches). In terms of height, I prefer 10'6" or under. This brings up another apparent controversy within the Class C RV world. I think I prefer a Class B+. Of course, I prefer the class that does not really exist! Go figure. Technically, I understand that a Class B+ is really a Class C. Got it! To round out my preferences, I lean gas over diesel and I lean Ford over MB, yet I still look at Ram Pro Master models as well. In terms of floor plans, I prefer a permanent bed on the floor, thus I like island beds or twin beds over corner beds, cab over bunks, or multipurpose beds. If I have to choose between a sofa or a dinette, I choose a sofa. Of course this brings us to the issue of "to slide or not to slide" AND if you are going to slide, then how many??? Hmmm, I would prefer a non-slide unit, but that is not realistic for what we want in a floor plan, thus I am fine with slides, but the fewer the better. Thus, a sofa slide is acceptable to help open up the floor plan. Oh, and I have not even mentioned the variables of cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and outside storage. Whew!

Based on the above, here are the manufacturers, models, and floor plans that interest me the most (alphabetical order). All seem to be of high quality, imo (understanding that quality is a relative term). Here we go. . .

Born Free (Splendor would be my choice despite it being a corner bed). BFs are pricey, though.

Coach House (Platinum 271 XL). Again, Coach House is pricey!

Dynamax (Isata 280 or 282). Nice, but pricey!

Leisure Travel Vans (Unity IB or TB). Great units. Living area a bit tight. MB chassis. But, sweet!

Lexus (Viper 27V). Impressive quality, given the price. Most economical. Two slides.

Lazy Daze (27 ft. Mid-bath). No slides, nice. But, no real permanent twin beds.

Phoenix Cruiser (2552 model). Single slide. Nice floor plan, despite preferring a mid-bath floor plan.

Winnebago/Itasca (View 24V or Navion 24V). Best all around floor plan, imo. But, on the MB chassis and living/galley area a bit tight.

OK, I have listed my preferences in terms of the many compromising variables that one must consider along with the manufacturers that I prefer, so if I had to really get down to it, which would I choose?

Assuming buying new, I would have to remove Born Free, Coach House, and Dynamax from my list. I can't imagine choosing to pay what I would need to pay for those sweet rigs. I love the retro nature and quality of Lazy Daze, but there is no floor plan that entices me without going out to 31 feet. This narrows it down to my Top 4. The LTV Unity models are amazing, but perhaps a bit tight in the living/galley quarters and they are on the MB chassis. The Winnebago/Itasca (Views 24V/Navions 24V) are efficient in length and in all dimensions other than height. Love the placement of the TV relative to the sofa (single slide that opens up the floor plan, plus the versatility of a bunk over the cab). The living/galley area is still a wee tight and on the MB chassis, but the best overall floor plan, imo. This brings me to the Nexus Viper 27V and the Phoenix Cruiser 2552. The Phoenix Cruiser 2552 is a bit more "trim" and efficient in terms of being 8 inches shorter in length (27' 10"), 3 inches narrower (93"), 3 inches shorter in height (10' 1"). All of these issues are important to me. Despite having a beautiful rear bathroom, I prefer a mid-bath to isolate the bedroom area. I don't really like the location of the TV. And, there is limited external storage. On the other hand, Phoenix Cruiser (like Nexus) will work to customize the coach for you and both are factory direct, which I like. So, if I had the fortune to choose today, I would choose a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 with some bells and whistles!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

However, since I am at the beginning of my RV quest, EVERYTHING is possible and I can change my mind as much as I want. Besides, being too windy, what are your thoughts about my RV review? Are there issues, variables, or other items that I still need to factor into the equation? The only reason that I know what I know is because of the expertise, wisdom, passion, and experience shared by those like you on this forum.

Thanks,

Dean
128 REPLIES 128

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
FRED555 wrote:
DeanCHS1980 wrote:
Fred555, I have bee in a couple of Pleasure Way Plateau XLs. Wow, beautiful!!! I have been in Prisms as well. Both are very nice, but Pleasure Way would be my pick between the two. Quality rigs that are well constructed. I was a big fan of the Pleasure Way Pursuit with the rear sofa and small bed over the cab. Absolutely goregous, plus only 22' long. They stopped making them in 2014 or 2015, I believe.

Given my thread has been revived, just a quick update. My DW and I could not wait even two more years to get an RV. Last week we purchased a 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe!!! We are very excited. The original owner was gracious enough to deliver it to us by driving 240 miles one way, given we have no vehicle to tow it. It has been sitting in our driveway for 8 days and we have yet to put the cover on it! Many family and friends have gotten the driveway tour. I am now on a quest for the perfect cream puff (used) tow vehicle. We want a used midsized SUV. My DW will drive it a bit as a daily driver, so she has said no pickups! ๐Ÿ˜‰ We are leaning toward to Toyota 4 Runner or Kia Borrego. The goal is to stay as close to $10,000 as possible for the tug, but may have to spend a bit more. The goal is to be ready to roll by March 1st or so.

Thanks,

Dean

I just don't see $30K or $40K better in the plateau over the prism almost same floor plan, same chassis, same exterior look....struggling with decision

After even more exhaustive research and comparison of Prism 24M and Plateau XL....the pleasure way has less desirable couch rather than two recliners, the prism carries at least 6 more gallons of water, the prism has 2 house batteries versus one in the plateau, the prism has a slide which is a good thing, the prism tanks are heated an not outboard on coach for freeze protection. The only negative we see in the Prism is the rubber roof but RV's have had them for years....and I don't think that accounts for $30-$40K less

I suspect that the Unity and Pleasure Way are more cause they can get it not because it costs them that much more to build unless building in Canada costs more as a rule than the US which I doubt.
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
Dean,

When we first started camping with a TC, I noticed several big TT would come out on Friday afternoon, plug in there camper, turn on the A/C and we wouldn't see them until Sunday morning when they were packing up to go home. Now that isn't much of a weekend getaway as far as I am concerned.

Your Casita will be crowded enough that you will be forced to enjoy the great outdoors. I would recommend joining a local camping club. Then you can sit around the campfire and talk about your next camper or how you pulled away from a campsite while still plugged in. There are lots of experiences to share. Have fun.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I always advise beginners to take their time, gather info, and make their decision based on how they will use the RV, cost of new rig vs cost of repairs/upgrades on a newish or older rig and advantages of buying a newer or new rig. Whatever we choose is always a compromise and our needs are subject to change as we age and get experience.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Dean, that's how most of us get started, in a pop-up or TT. Every RV is a compromise of some sort. At least this way you'll get to see what it's like, without a huge expense. As a bonus, I would think the Casita will hold its value pretty well.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hi hhornig & All,

LOL! Guilty as charged. My RV research started as an escape from the stress of work and discovering that my DW and I 'would like to think about RVing as a retirement plan. My initial research focused on what I anticipated we would like at retirement, a Class C in the 25' range, plus/minus 4'. As it turns out, my DW and I became so smitten with the idea of RVing that we decided we wanted to do it sooner rather than later. This desire led to a focus on a small used travel trailer with a used tow vehicle that can be used as a daily driver. I thought this would be the best plan to break into RVing for us.

My DW and I are soon to be empty nesters. I have about 9.5 years until retirement. We want to use the TT to explore traveling and camping and most importantly just spending time together after raising two daughters and beginning to see the last quarter of my career. Yup, our focus has been a moving target. I like your comment, "escaping for the weekend". That about sums it up. After spending our adult lives being responsible parents and a responsible professional, we are just looking for ways to have some fun. I think RVing sounds pretty darn cool. Luckily, my DW doesn't think I am a complete nut and is excited about the RV ride as well. A TT today and maybe that Class C MH as a retirement present in 9 years, 7 months, and 1 day! ๐Ÿ™‚

I realize this is a Class C forum and I know to post elsewhere, but I wanted to follow up briefly since my thread was revived earlier today. Over the last 15 months, I have learned a great deal from RVers on this and other forums. I am really impressed with the wisdom, passion, and neighborliness of RVers!

Thanks,

Dean

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
After reading through 13 pages of this thread I noticed the focus was on purchasing a mh which turned out to be a TT. The analysis was good; however, there was little focus on a goal for which the camper was to be used, i.e. fishing, traveling, socializing or just escaping the city for the weekend.

We started out with a TC so we could pull a fishing boat. It worked out great, but sitting all day while it rained in a dinette area was very uncomfortable. Later as the grandchildren out grew the need for fishing we started to travel the country and moved up to a Class A. It was great while we were parked, but as pointed out in several posts pulling a toad has its limitations. We still want to tour the country, but feel a Class C will allow us to travel without a toad most of the time, but will be able to pull a toad in times when we want to park down south. Our choice is a Itasca Navion 24G. I am now trying to downsize from the A.

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Fred555, I hear ya! $40,000 is almost twice as much as I have budgeted for a used TT and TV, so the additional money for the PW is huge, but IF I had the money, then PW would be my choice between the two. I am also a fan of Winnebago Views, Phoenix Cruisers, Lazy Dazes, and Leisure Travel Vans. Wishing you the best with your two great choices!

Take care,

Dean

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
DeanCHS1980 wrote:
Fred555, I have bee in a couple of Pleasure Way Plateau XLs. Wow, beautiful!!! I have been in Prisms as well. Both are very nice, but Pleasure Way would be my pick between the two. Quality rigs that are well constructed. I was a big fan of the Pleasure Way Pursuit with the rear sofa and small bed over the cab. Absolutely goregous, plus only 22' long. They stopped making them in 2014 or 2015, I believe.

Given my thread has been revived, just a quick update. My DW and I could not wait even two more years to get an RV. Last week we purchased a 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe!!! We are very excited. The original owner was gracious enough to deliver it to us by driving 240 miles one way, given we have no vehicle to tow it. It has been sitting in our driveway for 8 days and we have yet to put the cover on it! Many family and friends have gotten the driveway tour. I am now on a quest for the perfect cream puff (used) tow vehicle. We want a used midsized SUV. My DW will drive it a bit as a daily driver, so she has said no pickups! ๐Ÿ˜‰ We are leaning toward to Toyota 4 Runner or Kia Borrego. The goal is to stay as close to $10,000 as possible for the tug, but may have to spend a bit more. The goal is to be ready to roll by March 1st or so.

Thanks,

Dean

I just don't see $30K or $40K better in the plateau over the prism almost same floor plan, same chassis, same exterior look....struggling with decision
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks,

Dean

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting observations, from what I gather is a person that has never been in an RV.

Seeing as this is a ways off, I will add a bit by talking about sheds. Many people buy a shed and then proceed to put 100 cu ft of stuff in a 50 cu ft space. it is suggested to lay out an area the size of the shed they are contemplating and putting the items they plan on putting in the shed in that area.

Since you have time and renting various floor plan RV's may not be practical, I would do a layout in the garage, maybe a cardboard mockup and try fitting everything in. And I mean everything, 12 pairs of shoes, big and small wok, tooth brush, electric blanket, charcoal lighter. Might be a fun experiment?

Personally I went from full time in a 35 ft diesel pusher to a bit of time in a 21 foot Toyota.
Jim

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a new 2015 Prism 24M and a used 2015 Pleasure Way Plateau XL

Would any kind of help on similar pair consideration or individual RV experience with either one?

We are downsizing from Warrior full size Class C

Thanks
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a trailer, ExBF & I learned that you can get ready fast if

1) you routinely pick up after yourself, empty trash, put things away

2) travel as light as feasible, so less stuff to put away.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv4jimnme wrote:
However, our camping style is hit and run ... not park and squat.
Thanks of course we have done both some of our best memories are over nite in Walmart parking lots! just get up and go next morning.
This probably goes on a different forum but this is our routine to get going if we are fully hooked up.
36 Foot Pace Arrow Full Wall Slide, Bedroom Slide, 1 and 1/2 bath
1. Coffee and tea
2. Take stuff off counter from last nite's party and dinner with friends and wash a few dishes or a lot. Which might mean separate the beer cans from the now full trash can and recycle. Ensure dinette is empty of items you have used their such as fruit bowl, napkins, flowers etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Hmmm... in comparison to your long (tongue in cheek?) list above showing what you do to get going with your RV, our list to get going in our compact little Class C approximately:

1) Skips your no. 1
2) Skips your no. 2
3) Skips your no. 3
4) Skips your 2nd no. 3
5) Skips your 2nd no. 4
6) Skips your no. 5
7) Skips your no. 9
๐Ÿ˜Ž Skips your no. 10
9) Skips your no. 11
10) Skips your no. 12
11) Skips your no. 13
12) Skips your no. 15
13) Skips your no. 16

The DW I myself also work as team on what we do to leave a campsite ... with our dog ... in about 10 minutes. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
yes fun in Walmart parking lot, if you call ahead and make sure the manager says ok you will find some with even grassy knolls, lots of other rigs and folks quiet and serene and you can go shopping and walk doggies and take off the following day. Seriously I have taken pictures of some of them across the states and laughed out loud when posting all free of course. This of course is a quick stop in transit to wherever you are headed without the hassle of finding a park etc.