cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reflections on 6 Months of RV Research! ;)

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Class C Forum,

I caught the RV bug about 6 months ago after a particularly stressful stretch at work. Researching RVs has become the way that I decompress when I have some discretionary time. Currently, I have many semesters of college tuition to pay for our two daughters before making the RV plunge. In the meantime, I am going to continue to read forums and blogs as well as watching RV videos on You Tube. My DW and I even attended our first RV show in January. I live about 400 miles south of Elkhart, IN and we are considering a trip to the Promise Land this summer! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I "think" I have learned enough over the last six months that I wanted to summarize my thoughts and get some reactions from the pros. Of all the forums I have read over the months, this Class C Forum on RV.Net has been the one that I have read the most and has engaged my interest the most. Here is a summary of my thoughts about RVs.

First, buying an RV is a series of compromises. Most of us have limited incomes, so how much we spend is the first consideration. Related to that is whether one buys new or used. There are obviously benefits and challenges associated with both. The other issue is whether to buy a Class A, B, C, or a Truck Camper. I love the "idea" of a truck camper. The largest models by Host, Chalet, Lance, and Eagle Cap with double and triple slides are quite impressive; however, they require significant trucks to carry them, you have to exit the truck to enter them, and you often have to extend the slides to enter them. Despite my attraction to TCs, my rational and logical DW was not overly impressed. Class As represent the other end of the spectrum, typically. They are larger and often quite luxurious and include significant floor plan options and storage. However, I believe my DW and I would prefer the RVs associated with a van-like chassis. One option is the Class B or van conversions. Research and the opportunity to see a couple at a recent RV show led us to the conclusion that these are just too small for us. They are precision instruments and their followers are passionate and I appreciate this, but not for us. For the above reasons, I think the Class C represents the BEST compromise for my DW and myself, thus my decision to post this on the Class C forum.

OK, having chosen a Class C, I have determined there are still a wide number of variables to consider. Length, height, and width are all important variables to consider. I have discovered that gas vs diesel and MB or Ford or Chevy are hot topics among RVers. I have learned much from reading about these passionate discussions. Even once the decision that a Class C is probably best, there are still many fun compromises to be contemplated because I would like to have a 31 to 32 foot floor plan in a 25 foot rig. Obviously, the laws of physics are going to prevent that! For me, I break length into three categories 1) 24 to 26 feet, 2) 26 to 29 feet, and 3) 29 to 32 feet. Given these three categories, for me, I am leaning toward the tweener category of 26 to 29 feet. In terms of width, I prefer not wider than 8 feet (96 inches). In terms of height, I prefer 10'6" or under. This brings up another apparent controversy within the Class C RV world. I think I prefer a Class B+. Of course, I prefer the class that does not really exist! Go figure. Technically, I understand that a Class B+ is really a Class C. Got it! To round out my preferences, I lean gas over diesel and I lean Ford over MB, yet I still look at Ram Pro Master models as well. In terms of floor plans, I prefer a permanent bed on the floor, thus I like island beds or twin beds over corner beds, cab over bunks, or multipurpose beds. If I have to choose between a sofa or a dinette, I choose a sofa. Of course this brings us to the issue of "to slide or not to slide" AND if you are going to slide, then how many??? Hmmm, I would prefer a non-slide unit, but that is not realistic for what we want in a floor plan, thus I am fine with slides, but the fewer the better. Thus, a sofa slide is acceptable to help open up the floor plan. Oh, and I have not even mentioned the variables of cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and outside storage. Whew!

Based on the above, here are the manufacturers, models, and floor plans that interest me the most (alphabetical order). All seem to be of high quality, imo (understanding that quality is a relative term). Here we go. . .

Born Free (Splendor would be my choice despite it being a corner bed). BFs are pricey, though.

Coach House (Platinum 271 XL). Again, Coach House is pricey!

Dynamax (Isata 280 or 282). Nice, but pricey!

Leisure Travel Vans (Unity IB or TB). Great units. Living area a bit tight. MB chassis. But, sweet!

Lexus (Viper 27V). Impressive quality, given the price. Most economical. Two slides.

Lazy Daze (27 ft. Mid-bath). No slides, nice. But, no real permanent twin beds.

Phoenix Cruiser (2552 model). Single slide. Nice floor plan, despite preferring a mid-bath floor plan.

Winnebago/Itasca (View 24V or Navion 24V). Best all around floor plan, imo. But, on the MB chassis and living/galley area a bit tight.

OK, I have listed my preferences in terms of the many compromising variables that one must consider along with the manufacturers that I prefer, so if I had to really get down to it, which would I choose?

Assuming buying new, I would have to remove Born Free, Coach House, and Dynamax from my list. I can't imagine choosing to pay what I would need to pay for those sweet rigs. I love the retro nature and quality of Lazy Daze, but there is no floor plan that entices me without going out to 31 feet. This narrows it down to my Top 4. The LTV Unity models are amazing, but perhaps a bit tight in the living/galley quarters and they are on the MB chassis. The Winnebago/Itasca (Views 24V/Navions 24V) are efficient in length and in all dimensions other than height. Love the placement of the TV relative to the sofa (single slide that opens up the floor plan, plus the versatility of a bunk over the cab). The living/galley area is still a wee tight and on the MB chassis, but the best overall floor plan, imo. This brings me to the Nexus Viper 27V and the Phoenix Cruiser 2552. The Phoenix Cruiser 2552 is a bit more "trim" and efficient in terms of being 8 inches shorter in length (27' 10"), 3 inches narrower (93"), 3 inches shorter in height (10' 1"). All of these issues are important to me. Despite having a beautiful rear bathroom, I prefer a mid-bath to isolate the bedroom area. I don't really like the location of the TV. And, there is limited external storage. On the other hand, Phoenix Cruiser (like Nexus) will work to customize the coach for you and both are factory direct, which I like. So, if I had the fortune to choose today, I would choose a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 with some bells and whistles!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

However, since I am at the beginning of my RV quest, EVERYTHING is possible and I can change my mind as much as I want. Besides, being too windy, what are your thoughts about my RV review? Are there issues, variables, or other items that I still need to factor into the equation? The only reason that I know what I know is because of the expertise, wisdom, passion, and experience shared by those like you on this forum.

Thanks,

Dean
128 REPLIES 128

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
RV4jimnme,

With all that do and undo, including toad hookup, we would normally squat instead of run. It takes us around 10 minutes to prepare for an unplanned run to the store etc. We have never towed and don't have to convert anything from sleep to travel configuration except to stow awning and TV antenna. Fun in a Walmart parking lot???

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
However, our camping style is hit and run ... not park and squat.
Thanks of course we have done both some of our best memories are over nite in Walmart parking lots! just get up and go next morning.
This probably goes on a different forum but this is our routine to get going if we are fully hooked up.
36 Foot Pace Arrow Full Wall Slide, Bedroom Slide, 1 and 1/2 bath
1. Coffee and tea
2. Take stuff off counter from last nite's party and dinner with friends and wash a few dishes or a lot. Which might mean separate the beer cans from the now full trash can and recycle. Ensure dinette is empty of items you have used their such as fruit bowl, napkins, flowers etc.
3. Turn off ice maker so it will not draw water from the holding tank and check freezer and refrig bars in up right position to stop food from falling out (which never works well anyway).
4. Make front bed after you have convinced doggies it time to get up. Put Pet container from dash on sofa bed so dogs will be confined down the road. Take dogs out to do their business. Try and convince the doggies it is time to get in their travel mode container. ha
3.Shut down lap top in front office desk area (dash) and secure key board and mouse in propery place to use going down the road. If you have used the printer put that back in storage as well.
4. Tie back curtains each side and ensure they hook and are not in the way of seat belts. Remove cushions that usually go on magic sleeper sofa and put them back and turn around the driver and passenger seats to forward position if they have been moved.
5. Dismantle bedroom. make the bed and take the computer desk, laptop and various stuff to secure position the two of you hoist the reclining office chair and stow on bed so slide can come in along with anything else like the vacumn, guitar or clothes hamper small vacumn. Make sure you get some clothes out before slide comes in. Also make sure lid on toilet is down and sliding glass door is locked at the bottom and that the fan cover is in down position. Then check the other sliding glass door for lock as well. Try not to leave anything like wallet or phone back there as you need to slide out the bedroom slide to get back there now. that stuff comes forward to the drivers area. Make sure nothing inhibits the slide from coming in like electric cord which it will slice in two.

6. Shower and put shower head in secure position and secure glass doors with latch. Put any odds and ends in back full bath in secure location for going down the road (usually ends up in sink)
7. Turn off A/C and all lites and try and blow dry hair before electric is cut off.
8. Check small bathroom window and vent closed and nothing out of place on counter.
9. Doggies need to go out again? just to be sure since will be on the road for long time. Say good bye and chat with new friends you have made compare routes etc. Exhange e-mails and hope to meet up again (sometimes this can take awhile)

10. Hubbie starts the disconnect I start engine pull in slides after I have made sure nothing is in the way such as a throw rug or folding table that once got crushed..ha
11. Go move the tow car into a good spot for hook up.
12. Guide hubbie out of space to avoid tree damage or hitting poles etc.
13. Drive tow car to back of motorhome and go thru the transmission instructions carefully put in neutral make sure radio off etc. Hook up the car.
14. Then once hooked up double check each outside compartment is locked all the way around. (to ensure it never opens again and strews all your stuff for about a mile before you can stop and go back and try and get it out of the way for other drivers, thankfully on non busy highway that time but high mountain road. Thank your lucky stars that nothing that "flew out" was glass and remember that glass containers should always be in back or in the rig?
15. Hubbie then moves the motorhome forward a few feet while I check and double check on the wires and harnesses to make sure all in proper locked position. Then he drives away from me and turns slightly to ensure both locking mechanism on tow bar lock into place.
16. I stand back and make sure all stop lites and turn signals are working on both coach and car. Then go to front to check turn signals there.
Then I get in sit down and wait for the first forgotten item to fall on the floor, we just laugh now because it may be just a drawer that was not all the way shut or a cabinet or I put something on dinette seat that decided it would not stay there..Sometimes you forget something on counter you thought would stay like your small potted plant so those items always fall in deep steps by door and you have to stand on your head to get them or wait til you stop to clean up the mess.
Over the years we have become a coordinated team each doing everything quickly and efficiently we can set up and tear down in about 30 minutes but it usually takes more like an hour from bed to road because of coffee and getting ourselves in mode.
It was our home for a few years and travel for 9 years and the best ride ever! but ready to try no tow and small small small. Will be a new learning experience!

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Me three.

We don't hook up to water or sewer either. And rarely use leveling blocks because usually we can find a level-enough spot on the site. We have worked to have small everyday items held in secure racks/bins/etc right where they are used, so we don't have to take them out and put them away for moving.

If we have to do an unprepared scram to go to town, it can be up to ten minutes of prep to be ready to drive. But if we know we will be heading out later, we can start stowing stuff as we go about our activities. So it's not nothing, it is a little bit of work, but so is towing a dinghy! ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only "hookup" we do in a full hookup campsite is the electric. We only hook up the sewer every 4-5 days camping to dump the grey and black tanks. It's not recommended to keep the black tank hooked up all the time, anyway, due to possible formation of the dreaded pyramid.

Between the DW and myself, we can put everything away easily in 3-5 minutes and be on our way, unless moving off leveling blocks is required ... this takes another 5 minutes. We definitely like it small for just the two of us plus one small dog. Our stick house and it's property present enough bigness for us to take care of. When on RV trips we don't want a lot of space to have to clean, heat, and cool. We like camping in comfort, but it doesn't take room for this. However, our camping style is hit and run ... not park and squat.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rvforjimnme:

Your post would be much easier to read with a few paragraphs to beak it up. You seem to think that a 24/25' C is lot more work than has been our experience.

After 24,000+ miles in the last 24 months I find many of your assertions to be incorrect. We can unhook, on those few occasions when we have hookups in less than 5 minutes(closer to 2 or 3 actually).

Unplugging/stowing a power cord - one/two minutes... tops. We never hook up to sewer, just use it like your own personal dump station when you are ready to hit the road. The same goes for water, why risk you rig on uncertain pressure? Those pressure valves do fail from time to time. Much safer to run off of the pump and tank and we turn off the pump when we leave our site. We just top up the tank as needed when leaving.

Since we keep the interior neat/clutter free a couple of minutes of interior straightening by my bride has us safely ready for the road while I attend to any needed exterior cores.

Sight seeing has never been and issue including DC & Annapolis to name just two. Our 24' lC fits in just about any parking lot. Grocery getting is all but eliminated with a modicum of planning and if we need to we just drive into town.

We bought a 24' so we would have no use, much less need for a Toad. We do now however enjoy towing my motorcycle (1987 BMW R80 (800 cc) RT), on a small (9'), trailer not for Toad duty but because it is so much fun to ride.

We are currently in Olathe Colorado having cruised up this morning from Durango through Silverton and on up to Ouray - a once in a lifetime ride by the way, and will drive over to Moab in the morning. Once set up in our site we will hop on the bike and cruise Canyonlands NP followed by Arches NP on Tuesday. Next will be Capitol Reef and probably another trip to Bryce and our all time favorite, Zion.

Small C's don't need Toads and are probably the easiest RV's to travel in. Keep it simple and you will also keep it fun/easy.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I forgot about that I sure would consider that now! just rent a car now why did I not remember that?thanks!

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
You can also do as we do- rent a car when you get to your destination. For many it just doesn't make sense to invest all the money into tow accesories, a vehicle, etc, when you might only need a car a few times a year for those long trips. Enterprise- which is available in many places will deliver and sometimes pick up the car from your location. Saves money and hassle...drive someone else's car.

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
A class C can be disconnected from campsite hookups and driven into town, in a few minutes.????????????I guess that is a matter of opinion, Remember you have to take all things off counters, check vents are closed, make sure you do not pull out with the electric still plugged in? etc etc then you get to do that all over again when you get home?
If you want to see the U.S. you will need a tow car. Unless you are willing to pull up "stakes" unhook and drive in your motorhome to see the sites. A few places that come to mind are camping in Pristine New Jersery and commuting to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Staying in New York but about 45 miles from Niagara Falls, Washington D.C. is another favorite. If we go local to the beach we take a car but do not hook it up, but its there, if we need to come home go to the store, pharmacy what ever. In a van type or very small motorhome its possible and perhaps great. For the first time I drove a 25 foot Crossover the other day Vegas like a Class A and I was able to pull into a Mall and oops did not judge distance so I merely backed up while folks where getting irritated but it maneuvered me right on out of there what a joy to be able to back up, YOU CANNOT BACK up with a tow car attached and the first time you get on a road you are not familiar with or any short space and there is no room to turn around and its 110 degrees outside (Las Vegas) folks are honking and going crazy while you get the car unhitched and move along you might wish you did not have the tow car. So whatever works for you. Like I said we are getting older its hard to unhook and hook up car so its a thing you must learn. I remember renting a taxi once in Palm Springs to go out to dinner but were were at a lovely resort so we kicked back and actually did not need the tow well too much anyway. We are thinking old folks scooters..ha. And don't forget sometimes repairs take time. We were "stuck" in Tucson waiting parts for 3 weeks, Our Motorhome was jacked up it could not go anywhere... lucky us we had Military beautiful cheap RV Park, we ended up seeing so many things we never even thought about seeing it was awesome!Titan Missile Museum, Museum of the Horse Soldier, Restored Mission de San ___well we kept busy anyway.

rshine
Explorer
Explorer
"A 27 foot Class C will be able to fit into almost all RV park and forest service campsites. If you are concerned about requently fitting into paralell car parking spots in malls etc., a shorter rig might suit you better. All Class C's are really too wide to fit standard car spaces. Towing a car has it's own disadvantages re complications in parking and manuevering in gas stations, etc.
Buying a short Class C for parking ease and then towing a vehicle doesn't make sense to us although people who are social group camper/tourers seem to go that way. A class C can be disconnected from campsite hookups and driven into town, in a few minutes. If you want to tour Boston or San Francisco or other no-RV area, you can rent a car there or take a shuttle bus to tourist areas, take tour bus, etc. Plan ahead"

All true. We downsized from 32' Class A to 25' Class C several years ago, but I kept the option of towing our Jeep. We like boondocking, and also do a share of winter camping. Once we get in to a remote site and set up, I much prefer having the jeep for going into town, touring around, driving up to remote lakes on fire roads, driving past snowline, etc. Even at 25', I chose the Ford E450 chassis so that I can tow without a power problem. We take many trips without the toad, but I like having the option.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
dean, if you cannot put the used MH in the driveway, then your TT idea is better for now. i have my eyes on the forest river rpods. they are so cool looking that your association might not care!

i could be enticed to a liteweight TT if i thought towing behind a 4runner was easy, and backing it into a state park site and setting it up was not too strenuous.

take a look. we looked in a few, and they are surprisingly comfortable and inexpensive.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Ron, we have corresponded some, and I LOVE your wisdom and passion about PCs. They are definitely on my short list as a dream machine. But, I don't know that I can wait 10 years for that!!! So, I had set a new goal of 5 years to get a used rig. For example, I really like the PC 2700s that Earl stopped making around 2011. They have had a couple of really nice ones on trade-in. But, they are still asking $60,000+ for these. We also have some money tied up in a couple of rental properties. One for my mom and one for my daughter who is away at college. These properties will be liquidated in two to four years. Still, $60,000 would be tough to think about before retirement. So we started thinking about a $20,000 to $25,000 budget. But, not sure if this would get us a reliable rig or not. I can maintain things, but I am a bit of a challenged DIYer. For this reason, I was thinking that a small TT could be a possibility in 2 or 3 years with something like a PC becoming our aspirational RV. I also really agree with you, I hate the thought of not having our RV stored at our house. In fact, I think there is a good possibility that my DW and I will sellout at retirement time and buy a smaller home with an RV garage in an RV friendly community. Until then, I have 3 car garage, but VERY FEW RVs would fit in it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I THINK I could keep a small TT in my driveway. I will need to check. In any case, I am trying to find a way to break into RVing in two or three years rather than 5 or 10!!! I do know that I am THOROUGHLY enjoying learning about RVs and the lifestyle. I am so impressed with RV folks that are so knowledgeable, passionate, and helpful.

rvjimnme, yup I am trying to balance how much I will use an RV in the short term vs. how much it will cost. I love Phoenix Cruisers and one could spend $100,000 plus/minus $10,000 on a new one. Even if I could afford one, it would sit much of the time for the next five years due to my work schedule. After I give up my administrative appointment at the university and return to full-time teaching, then I would have summers and many more long-weekends throughout the year. So, now rather than waiting 5 years, I am trying to work it down to a couple of years before getting an RV, but this would be on a tentative $20,000 to $25,000 budget, thus my thinking about a small TT. I don't worry as much about it sitting around some compared to a motorhome. Even though I think our longer-term aspirational RV will be a 25 to 29 foot MH like a PC.

FULLTIMEWANEBE, thanks for sharing your numbers. I mention above, that we may consider downsizing and buying a smaller home with an RV garage after retirement. On the other hand, we may consider full-timing for awhile before investing in a home base. I hope you get a few more maintenance free years from your '03 Southwind. But, I understand getting the Bug as you can tell from my above musings. I agree the memories created from your travels are priceless. My DW and I are looking forward to the travel. We had 11 wonderful years together before kids. We have had nearly 21 wonderful years of raising our girls. Now, we are looking forward to spending time together creating memories from our travels.

A good evening to All!

Dean

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

FWIW and as a side note comparison, our Fla home we've owned since 2009, with just property taxes, insurances, minor yard work and upkeep costs being a new build and utilities costs us around US$18,000k per year and we have the same view continually. Hence that puppy is now up for sale readying for us to FT.

That's a very good point.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
rv4jimnme wrote:
Bordercollie wrote:
You have done a great job of gleaning info from this forum and realize that your choice of motorhome or other type of RV is a matter of personal taste, your current understanding of what is available and how often and in what ways you will use one.

A class C motorhome is a box truck full of appliances and other gizmos that when working properly, give you some of the comforts of home while on the road, camping, or as a support vehicle for local sports, hobby, and family days at a local park. We bought a 27 foot 2004 (bumper to bumper) Fleeetwood Tioga Class C model 26Q new in 2003 that is our idea of the best compromise for our forseeable use. It has a rear bedroom with RV queen bed, a huge lighted storage area in the rear, and standard mid bath, galley, comvertible dinette and barrel chair and large overhead bed/storage area. It does not have or need slides for our use.

Bear in mind that total cost of ownership includes early depreciation, taxes, vehicle registration, insurance, scheduled maintenance of truck part, maintenance of apppliances, airconditioning, charger/converter and batteries. Our fridge, roof air conditioner, converter/charger and batteries, awning fabric and fresh water pump all required replacement at around 10 years. Annual inspection of the roof and resealing of potential water leak entry points will prevent dreaded water leak damage.

You should look at and compare the cost vs workmanship, design and features, including roof construction of "entry" level to luxury brands and models in your quest for knowledge. Owning a motorhome is actually taking on a "hobby" including periodic maintenance of batteries, and performing minor DIY fixes and replacements, and getting professional services from dealer or rv repair as needed. Owning a motorhome is similar to owning and maintaining a cabin cruiser boat. If you use and enjoy it a lot after the first year, it may be worth the total cost and effort of ownership.

We recently sold our 2007 Pace Arrow, I was told don't add up what you have spent on it for the 9 years we owned it. But I could not resist. The figure was aprox $27,000.00. The larger items included $4,000 in new tires, $1,500 in new magic sleeper sofa (not comfortable my $100.00 futon metal frame worked much better. And sumo springs at around $2,000.00 A great deal of the money was committed to keeping the roof in good order, i.e. inspections, reseal and constant up keep, also the marine toilet vacu flush system was an issue until we became knowledgeable on it. Lots of money went to washing and waxing and keeping stuff like the levelers and slide out clean and working. So being the money wise person I am I took what we purchased it for added the $27,000.00 (which by the way does not include your gas which we went across country when gas was $5.00 a gallon or so and of course camping fees. I then subtracted what I recently sold it for then divided that figure by 9 years (and months) and got a monthly figure of what it costs to buy (new) own and maintain an RV. Because we full timed in it for part of those years and were able to rent our home the figure works out fine for us. We saw almost all the United States and we would not trade our memories for any amount of money, however, that being said if you take the above figures into consideration and you do not use or travel much you need to make sure you want to spend your money that way. My advice to younger folks is never put a great deal of money in an RV, instead buy a trailer or 5th wheel and use the truck each day as your commute. In that way the only thing depreciating is the trailer and you did not spend an arm and a leg buying it. We are too old to do that now and we loved our home on wheels. In fact I never would have wanted a trailer to begin with but if you are saving for college for your kids it makes better sense to me. My figures came out to about $112,000.00 spent totally over 9 years but that figure for me is reduced by rental income and full timing to about $60,000.00. So I am a happy camper. Especially because my mini home was 1.5 baths, washer dryer and had all the comforts of home. I am on this forum now looking for a small class C so I must have not learned any lessons or I just love RVing so much I will not let go!

As a curiosity comparison, we've had our 2003 Southwind since new, and ironically in the past two half years had a new engine, solar and battery 880ahr install, refurbished to a residential fridge, flat screen TV, just gone in for alignment and leafs in the springs passenger side and are due for $3500 of new tires. When we add up what we've spent on Tires and actual repairs (not counting in services or oil changes etc) and tires since we've had her it comes to about C$28,000 in 12 years, the vast majority of that has been in the past 2+ years. If we take into account the depreciation and the fact we paid on a US1 to C$1.65 at time of purchase it's cost us in reality around $165,000 for 12 years to date, and hoping we won't have any more expenses other than services for hopefully at least another 5 to 7 years. Based on today's figures where we are at, it's cost us around $13,000 per year and the memories have been priceless. If we assume that we keep this as mentioned until she's around 20 years old (hubby is desperate for a DP so that might be a long shot!) and no more major updates/repairs and allowing further depreciation to zero then it will equate to an average of C$9,000 a year.

So for us, that is our estimates of what this wonderful lifestyle/memories has cost us as extended timers, YTD around C$13K a year and going FT in a year onwards if we keep the same rig until she's 20 years old then will have averaged C$9K per year assuming no more major expenses and depreciating her to zero at that juncture.

FWIW and as a side note comparison, our Fla home we've owned since 2009, with just property taxes, insurances, minor yard work and upkeep costs being a new build and utilities costs us around US$18,000k per year and we have the same view continually. Hence that puppy is now up for sale readying for us to FT.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv4jimnme wrote:
DeanCHS1980 wrote:
Hi rv4jimnme,

Love your post. I am not exactly young at 52, but your post resonated with me. My DW and I are trying to find a way to get into RVing. I have had the bug for about 10 months. Now my DW has it, too! Nice!!! We really like Class Cs in the 22 to 29 foot range as indicated by this string; however, with 10 years to retirement and two daughters in college, thus lots of expenses, I am wondering if a small travel trailer that can be pulled by a tow vehicle doubling as a commuting car makes more sense in terms of getting into RVing earlier. A Class C may become our aspirational vehicle. Looking forward to reading about your search for a small Class C. I appreciate forums like this due to having experts like you!

Thanks!
Dean in my opinion you have hit the nail squarely on the head! We have owned 4 Motorhomes and starting on our last one. We have been all over the map with from two small Toyotas (used as a primary vehicle)a large Class C that did not get used much since both still working and daughter in high school. We ended up with a huge class A that we traveled the entire states (long after kid left home) so that being said, it has always been my opinion that if you can manage and park and tow and are young enough put your money in something that does not have an engine and does not sit there and depreciate year after year, whereas the truck or car that can tow that is useful everyday! Of course you can pick up a Class C pretty cheap if you want the luxury or convenience of not parking a trailer, but you have to remember you have all the maintenance, tires etc and SAFETY considerations. Our Class A over nine years costs us $27,000.00 in upkeep, startling figure huh? So I really believe that it depends on how much fun and how much you will use it. feel free to e-mail me if you like mevansme@sbcglobal.net
Admittedly, I would never own a recreational vehicle of any kind (trailer, 5th, class ABC, whatever) if I could not store it at home. Anything stored elsewhere, whether it be extra stuff in a storage locker, or an RV on a storage lot, then I am living in the wrong house, or should get rid of those items. An exception with an RV would be if we downsized to a town-home/condo-style homestead, stored the RV off-site, but used it for extended periods of time like season-long trips like snow birds as one example.

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
DeanCHS1980 wrote:
Hi rv4jimnme,

Love your post. I am not exactly young at 52, but your post resonated with me. My DW and I are trying to find a way to get into RVing. I have had the bug for about 10 months. Now my DW has it, too! Nice!!! We really like Class Cs in the 22 to 29 foot range as indicated by this string; however, with 10 years to retirement and two daughters in college, thus lots of expenses, I am wondering if a small travel trailer that can be pulled by a tow vehicle doubling as a commuting car makes more sense in terms of getting into RVing earlier. A Class C may become our aspirational vehicle. Looking forward to reading about your search for a small Class C. I appreciate forums like this due to having experts like you!

Thanks!

Dean in my opinion you have hit the nail squarely on the head! We have owned 4 Motorhomes and starting on our last one. We have been all over the map with from two small Toyotas (used as a primary vehicle)a large Class C that did not get used much since both still working and daughter in high school. We ended up with a huge class A that we traveled the entire states (long after kid left home) so that being said, it has always been my opinion that if you can manage and park and tow and are young enough put your money in something that does not have an engine and does not sit there and depreciate year after year, whereas the truck or car that can tow that is useful everyday! Of course you can pick up a Class C pretty cheap if you want the luxury or convenience of not parking a trailer, but you have to remember you have all the maintenance, tires etc and SAFETY considerations. Our Class A over nine years costs us $27,000.00 in upkeep, startling figure huh? So I really believe that it depends on how much fun and how much you will use it. feel free to e-mail me if you like mevansme@sbcglobal.net