cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator Electrical Problem

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I am having problems with my dometic refrigerator. When I turn it on electric, it works for a short while, then trips the GFI. I replaced the GFI and that didn't solve the problem.

To try to isolate the electrical problem, I turned a ceramic heater on for more than half an hour. It did not trip the GFI. I then turned the refrigerator on with the ceramic heater on and it worked all right for 10 minutes. I did not want to leave the ceramic heater on while I was not there, so I turned it off before leaving. I left the refrigerator on, but expect when I return tomorrow, it will have tripped the gfi again.

Any idea where to look for the problem and how to solve it?
8 REPLIES 8

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
wrgrs50s wrote:
Test the element with an ohm meter. According to the wattage you can find out what the proper ohms should be.
thats great, but doesn't mean there isn't a high impedance "short" to the case. Doesn't take much
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I found that information on the internet. I don't know how to test the heater but I think I can find someone who can. Thanks.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Test the element with an ohm meter. According to the wattage you can find out what the proper ohms should be.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much. I appreciate your answer.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GFI---GFCI
Ground Fault 'Circuit' Interrupter

"In the event of a ground fault, a GFCI will trip and quickly stop the flow of electricity to prevent serious injury".
It works by comparing the input current on the hot side to the output current on the neutral side. If there's the slightest difference in current, on the order of a few milliamps, then there is current leaking out somewhere

Fridge element is shorting out when it heats up
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I am not questioning the wisdom of members, but I am curious. Why would a bad heating element trip a GFI? You would think that it would simply not cool the refrigerator and not affect the electrical system in any other way.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only thing 120V AC on fridge is the electric element.
Tripping CGFI......yep bad element
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The refrigerator heating element is bad- replace it.
-- Chris Bryant