cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating the 50amp power cord

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Winnebago Vista 32YE. I love the coach except for the location of the power cord. It's in the wet bay and barely fits and is a fiddle to get in after use. It's also tight up against all the dump plumbing. Something is going to get broken eventually. My thought was to cut the cord put ends on it like an extension cord and store it in another bay. Anybody seen or done it?
14 REPLIES 14

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one of these. Now I can store the cord in any compartment.

50A Shore Cord Inlet
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shore power
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 is describing exactly what we did... and yes the transfer switch is very close to where the cord comes through.

Ours is the 50 amp cord so it is heavy, stiff and uncooperative as it came from factory. I would not describe as easy the operation of removing the cord end from the transfer box and building a receptacle for a "marine twist lock" style of connector but we figured it out.

Much more manageable to bring cord in from underneath and connect each time. Cord can be rolled up and put away just about anywhere. Huge improvement and frees up lots of space in the wet bay.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to assume that your transfer switch is pretty close to where your electrical cord is located. Just disconnect your existing cord at the transfer switch and install a shorter cord with a twist connector on the end. Then take the end of your existing cord and install a matching twist connect on it. This prevents cutting the existing cord and still gives you a 50 amp cord to store wherever you have room.

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well that settles it, thanks for the replies. My favorite thing is to go at the new rig with either a saw or a drill while the wife watches in horror. "It's ok honey, it's only new till it drives off the lot":)

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest and easiest way is to cut cord and buy 2new ends . I did this on my last 2 campers because of storage for the cord.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Best improvement you can make is to replace the factory power cord with a good quality RUBBER cord. Factory cord is thermoplastic covered, is thick, and hard to coil. "SO" cord is durable and easy to coil and much smaller in diameter, and yet has the same wire gage, (#6) I did this with mine 10 years ago and it is perfect still today.

If you decide to install a twist lock receptacle, stick with Marinco brand. That is typically what is used on boats and high end motorhomes. It is durable and waterproof.

If you install a receptacle in the water bay, you can unplug your cord, coil it up and put it any where you want when not in use.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the sewer hose. Install a plastic pipe underneath or on the back bumper to carry the hose.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
I see no issue with cutting the cord and putting ends on it. Extension cords have ends replaced every day with no issues. You might also install a twist lock receptacle in the wet bay and just use a cord with a twist lock end. a lot of coaches are setup this way.

Probably be what I end up doing. Most of these are 30amp units and the cord is so much smaller it's probably not as much an issue but that 50amp anaconda is for sure a pain and I will end up with a busted crapper drain or something.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I did similar with my 30 amp cord. Bought a male repair end, 18 inches long or so. Then bought a female receptacle to go on removed cord.
Yours would be easier to just as you said cut the cable and install good quality cord bodies.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well your setup is the same as mine but my wet bay is large and the cord is not near the drains or plumbing.

Your best bet is trying to roll the cord up tighter or somthing but dont cut the cord moisture will get into the conections and a short or shock might happen.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I see no issue with cutting the cord and putting ends on it. Extension cords have ends replaced every day with no issues. You might also install a twist lock receptacle in the wet bay and just use a cord with a twist lock end. a lot of coaches are setup this way.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
I would not cut the cord that would be a bad idea, is there a storage compartment right next to the wet bay, if so you can cut a hole thru to next storage and run the cord there for storage but don't cut the cord.

Nope generator is in the bay next to it and the other one is pretty far away in front of the rear wheels.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I would not cut the cord that would be a bad idea, is there a storage compartment right next to the wet bay, if so you can cut a hole thru to next storage and run the cord there for storage but don't cut the cord.