cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing mirrors ( econoline)

fltioga898
Explorer
Explorer
I want to remove the outside mirrors on a 1996 econoline 350. these are the heavy cast mounting base type that bolted thru . I see the upper bolts from the inside but the lower bolt is behind the door panel . does anyone know the way the panels come off so I don't tear something up. thanks
5 REPLIES 5

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mocoondo wrote:

There is a special tool used called a ...wait for it ... a Door Panel Removal Tool to pop the panel off. You will likely damage the fasteners holding it on so you may want to pick some up at your local auto supply store before you dig in to this project.

Harbor Freight also sells the door remover kits with a couple different variants.

Definitely get a few replacements after you see what type fastener is used. The nylon can get brittle over time.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

HSE2LT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 so doors may be similar. On mine there are no clips. Window crank is held on with allen head screw, remove. Lower corner of door, small plastic plug, remove, should be philips head screw, remove. Upper corner near mirror, mine has a philips head screw, remove. Mine does not have clips. After removing these attachments, slide panel up about 2 inches, and remove. There are hooks on panel that fit into holes on door. I don't remember if there are screws near armrest or not. Took a fast look (12 degrees outside) at mine in driveway didn't see any.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on damageing the clips. They are easy to damage... I had to replace two when I pulled my panel a couple of years back...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fltioga898 wrote:
I want to remove the outside mirrors on a 1996 econoline 350. these are the heavy cast mounting base type that bolted thru . I see the upper bolts from the inside but the lower bolt is behind the door panel . does anyone know the way the panels come off so I don't tear something up. thanks

There is a special tool used called a ...wait for it ... a Door Panel Removal Tool to pop the panel off. You will likely damage the fasteners holding it on so you may want to pick some up at your local auto supply store before you dig in to this project.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
This is how to remove the one on my 1991. I would suspect yours is the same or similar.
Remove the screws and detach the armrest.
Remove two nuts holding the door handle and remove the handle and trim.
Remove four speaker screws and detach the grille.
Remove the screw holding the window regulator handle and remove the handle. (If you have electric handle or locks you would disconnect the appropriate connectors or screws.)
Carefully pry the clips on the sides and bottom of the panel from the door.
Raise up on the panel to detach it from the window ledge and remove the panel.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!