cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement catalytic converter

blackburnju
Explorer
Explorer
Our catalytic converter was stolen several weeks ago. And we cannot find any shops anywhere in the San Francisco Bay area that will do replacement catalytic converters on a 2002 Winnebago mini RV. Does anybody have any suggestions or has anybody found any shops anywhere within a hundred miles of San Jose California that might repair or replace catalytic converters? We are frantic.
Julie B.
32 REPLIES 32

blackburnju
Explorer
Explorer
Finally have the new catalytic converter on with anti-theft cables. 3000.00. Insurance will reimburse some of it.

Now we have to go to the state and get some new sticker plate put on after they verify the correct after market part was put on. Then we can get it smogged.

I'm optimistic but there is something broken with this whole process in Calif.

Timing is close but if all goes well next week, we can take it out.

I need to give a shout out to C&E Auto in San Leandro. They were so helpful. I'll be using them going forward for all my servicing!
Julie B.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
blackburnju wrote:
Thanks very much all!

Our NorCal location no longer services RVs.

I really appreciate the link to the catalytic converter supplier. Very Helpful. I know what I am looking at now, if the insurance company does not come through.

Can't do the straight pipe dues to not being able to get it smogged.

I found a location in Gant that at least has explained the issue to me. And will do the work.

Legally, I have to go through the state and obtain the legal part number for our vehicle (based on vin and registration). Then a shop can legally order the part and install. I cannot just buy an aftermarket (if I follow the rules)

Apparently in Calif, if the part number does not match what the state says, even if it passes the check, the smog folks cannot smog it and then the installer is liable.

Even though the chassis is the same as the trucks, just being an RV makes this kick in. The trucks do not need to go through the state.

Takes 3 weeks to get the part number from the state, no way to look this up on line. It has to come via mail 😞 We spoke to the state, so the wheels are turning.

I am furious the insurance company is not handling this and guiding us. I think a new insurance company will be in our future.

I am still looking for a shop that will do the installation (based on the pn from the above link) but with a cost of 1800.00 for the part, having the smog shop fail us, it is concerning. I think at a minimum, I need to wait for the state approved part number for out vin/registration.

So we are just trying to decide now whether to keep this all on the up and up, or put in a straight pipe and go out of state 😞 At any rate, the RV will not be going on the trip.

I am starting to understand why people hate California.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!

I tried to send you a private message with a local RV shop that can do the catalytic converter install (....I recently had one of mine stolen). Send me a private message and I will give you details.

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing. On our Honda, once the cat was replaced, we had to drive it a hundred miles or so to reset the computer before we could get the car smogged. We also had the cat caged, hopefully to deter another theft.

Norm
F1BNorm

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran your vehicle on the Air Resource Board's website and it returned over 3 pages of approved aftermarket Cats for your make, model and engine. All that would be needed to cull the list is the Test# off the sticker in your vehicle. With that, it's basically the approved shopping list as to what you are allowed to install. They also include a downloadable pdf of the EO for the specific item.

Of course the proper paperwork would need to be completed when installed, but that's routine for installers.

Sounds more like the issue is everyone is passing the buck. Ford doesn't want to service the RV even though they can at their commercial service facilities and your insurance company is blowing you off.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
Hi Mitch, I get it, I was just making a joke. Hope OP gets it sorted so he can run his scheduled trip.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blackburnju
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much all!

Our NorCal location no longer services RVs.

I really appreciate the link to the catalytic converter supplier. Very Helpful. I know what I am looking at now, if the insurance company does not come through.

Can't do the straight pipe dues to not being able to get it smogged.

I found a location in Gant that at least has explained the issue to me. And will do the work.

Legally, I have to go through the state and obtain the legal part number for our vehicle (based on vin and registration). Then a shop can legally order the part and install. I cannot just buy an aftermarket (if I follow the rules)

Apparently in Calif, if the part number does not match what the state says, even if it passes the check, the smog folks cannot smog it and then the installer is liable.

Even though the chassis is the same as the trucks, just being an RV makes this kick in. The trucks do not need to go through the state.

Takes 3 weeks to get the part number from the state, no way to look this up on line. It has to come via mail 😞 We spoke to the state, so the wheels are turning.

I am furious the insurance company is not handling this and guiding us. I think a new insurance company will be in our future.

I am still looking for a shop that will do the installation (based on the pn from the above link) but with a cost of 1800.00 for the part, having the smog shop fail us, it is concerning. I think at a minimum, I need to wait for the state approved part number for out vin/registration.

So we are just trying to decide now whether to keep this all on the up and up, or put in a straight pipe and go out of state 😞 At any rate, the RV will not be going on the trip.

I am starting to understand why people hate California.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!
Julie B.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Mitch, I get it, I was just making a joke. Hope OP gets it sorted so he can run his scheduled trip.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan.. He lives in Calif., so they still test/check that kind of stuff... I think he said he has to pass inspection prior to his scheduled trip to get his tabs.

Sounds like his biggest issue is finding a shop that will do the work. Any aftermarket "CA approved" cat will work in his rig.. He just has to get one and then someone to install it.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Straight pipe it from the manifold, pull into the CG after quiet hours and make some new friends!

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Magnaflow has a list of dealers and installers. They also make Calif compliant cats. See: https://www.magnaflow.com/collections/catalytic-converters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOCmy6S39wIV8hHnCh3P0gnHEAAYAiAAEgJWo_D_BwE
F1BNorm

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that you're going through this. I did this over a 3 month period this winter (chasing the insurance company, finding parts, finding a shop).
I ended up at an RV collision shop and, since they had a TON of experience replacing stolen cats, they had the job done in under 2 hours. Not sure if this is what EVERY RV collision shop does.
In your area, have you called ProCal Truck & Equipment? Their website says they do RV repairs.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Humm.. Well, if that's what they are telling you, I would guess they just don't want to do the job.. Nothing special with an RV's exhaust or cat compared to any other 'truck' or even a cars cat setup... It just goes in the main stream of the single exhaust pipe.

Maybe they just don't want to lay on their backs to do the job because they can't fit in in their shop on their lift...

It's really sad how all of this converter stealing is allowed to continue. Not sure why they don't start cracking down on the buyers of all these converters. They are the ones encouraging this activity to continue.

Good luck with it all at any rate.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

blackburnju
Explorer
Explorer
Our local muffler shops will not service RVs. I've called dozens. I'm expanding my search range to Sacramento and checking the big rig truck centers now. We did contact our Ford truck center and they recommended muffler shops as well, but did not actually know of one.

Our insurance will cover it but it is crazy the hoops we have to jump through. We need to get information from the state outlining what cat is needed and that takes 3 to 6 weeks! (We are working that angle ?? ) And then after we receive the state info we have to send the packet back to the insurance company. And then the insurance company will hopefully find a shop. After this is resolved, I'm finding another insurance company.

After all these years, this is the first time I'm starting to regret having the RV (just kidding). I just can't believe with all the RVs in the SF Bay Area, it's this hard. It might be time to register this thing outside of Calif 🙂

I hope there's a special place down below for catalytic converter thieves...
Julie B.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Mitch. Muffler shop. Look just outside the Bay area.....maybe Livermore?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think any muffler shop can do catalytic converters? I had a cat go bad once on my old 86 Mustang GT and the muffler shop replaced it for around $150.00

They all should be able to replace them.. I know they can't 'delete' them for a customer.

I did a quick search on Rock Auto and there seems to be dozens of different aftermarket cats for sale.

I understand you would still need someone to install it, but I still don't understand why any muffler shop would not do it and be totally legal?

Good luck! Mitch