cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Vinyl or Carpet for the Cab?

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and RV'ing in general.

I have a 2003 Class C built on a Ford E-450 chassis. From what I've read, the cabs of the E350's and E450's are the same...

I would really like to replace the carpet in the cab with new carpet or vinyl. The existing carpet is dirty, faded, and frayed around all the edges.

I've been Google'ing for a couple hours with no luck. Has anyone found a place for replacement molded carpet or vinyl for the E-450's?

I've searched the forums here also. But everything seems to be discussing the coach flooring, not the cab.

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Mich F,

Your picture appears to have the house floor at the same plane as the cab floor....no step. Is that right?

BTW: Nice job done. Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

There is a step in that MH, it's only 3 or 4" if I remember correctly. My son replaced the really bad looking house carpet (it was turning an orangeish color) with wood look vinyl strip flooring, and I redid the cab. It did come out looking very nice, thank you.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich F,

Your picture appears to have the house floor at the same plane as the cab floor....no step. Is that right?

BTW: Nice job done. Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My 'C' (that I bought new) had carpeting in the cab area. I installed rubber mats over the top of the carpeting the first week. They're easy to remove and clean on the garage floor. They're a little worn by now, but it won't be expensive to replace them. The carpet underneath still looks new.
On foot, I seem to be able to find the single 3 foot diameter mud puddle in a 3 acre field in bright sunlight.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:

I put in the new carpet in Oct 2013. I had another MH I was using at that time while renting that MH out a few times before selling it in Dec. 2014. I never had any issues with it while I owned it.
I don't recall any issues doing the install, other than being careful while removing and reinstalling the trim pieces. It would be fairly easy to break the clips that hold them in place.

Cool, thanks!
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
KristinU wrote:
Hey Mich F,

My DH wants to replace the cab carpet (after watching carpet replacement in an old car on Wheeler Dealers) and found this thread on a Google search! I see this post was a year ago, any issues since the install? Any additional tips to share? Seems pretty straightforward and simple, and yours looks great.

I put in the new carpet in Oct 2013. I had another MH I was using at that time while renting that MH out a few times before selling it in Dec. 2014. I never had any issues with it while I owned it.
I don't recall any issues doing the install, other than being careful while removing and reinstalling the trim pieces. It would be fairly easy to break the clips that hold them in place.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mich F,

My DH wants to replace the cab carpet (after watching carpet replacement in an old car on Wheeler Dealers) and found this thread on a Google search! I see this post was a year ago, any issues since the install? Any additional tips to share? Seems pretty straightforward and simple, and yours looks great.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the old carpet in my E350 Coachmen with carpet bought at Home Depot. It was a very easy job. I removed the seats, doghouse and plastic inserts around the step wells. I removed the old carpet and used that as a template for the new material. I also used spray glue in the installation. It came out very nice.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our little old Toyota chassis camper of yester-year had the industrial rubber flooring in the cab. It never looked nice but it sure was ideal for camping. When our current-day RV installed front cab carpet gets ratty enough, I'll be on the hunt for the same as you.

Here was our little Toyota camper cab floor.
The rest of the camper interior was tired with the walls and ceiling coming down looking like bed curtains HERE

Pharmgirl
Explorer
Explorer
Finally! Someone else who is looking for what I've also been searching. I too, have spent countless hours on the internet looking for this rubber/vinyl. I also checked with dealerships and finally a Ford dealer. The dealer didn't have anything that would fit my old boat (1998) Gulfstream Ultra, but the 2014 he found would cost about $600! Seemed pretty pricey. So I now have another sympathetic ear looking for me at the local RV dealership. Please let me know if you have had any luck and I will do the same. Where are you located? Hubby and I are in Coopersville area and camp with our horses.

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

I have never noticed that my floor gets hot. Although it wouldn't surprise me because the doghouse is right there.

My coach area was redone with wood laminate before I bought it and looks great. That is probably half the reason why I think the cab carpeting looks bad, because it butts up to brand new flooring.

Reading through what you guys have all said, now I realize it was not Ford who put in the cab flooring, it was the RV manufacture.

Thanks!

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
On our Winnebago the house carpeting was extended to the cab. They just glued the carpeting to the metal floor. I tried to remove it, but it was glued very securely. Our floor does get hot. If we replaced the carpet we would put insulation under what ever type of floor we chose.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
OEM front carpet (XLT trim) in last series of passenger vans extends to 5 inches behind the seat base, where it slightly overlaps the middle carpet. So it possibly could be too short, rather than too long, for cutaway cab.

I don't have an E-series cargo, to check out rubber mats.

I think most C manufacturers order E-series with the motorhome prep package, so they can trim with materials matching those in the house. They would buy the cab carpeting from a third-party aftermarket supplier, if they don't have their own shop to do the work of molding and cutting carpets.

E-series front carpet is fairly simply curved, just a couple humps over the wheel housings. OEM carpet, that shape is molded into the rubber backing and attached insulation.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found this listing of prep package items, notice the deleted items:

Available on E-350 and E-450, the Motorhome Prep Package includes:
โ€ข High-Series Exterior Upgrade Package โ€“ front chrome bumper, chrome grille and
dual, sealed-beam, fixed-lens headlamps
โ€ข Power windows and door locks
โ€ข Manual pedestals (seats not included)
โ€ข Cruise control
โ€ข Maximum front GAWR of 5,000 lbs. with 14,000-lb. GVWR
โ€ข Frame pucks
โ€ข Class I Trailer Tow Prep Package
Deletes:
โ€ข Vinyl floor covering
โ€ข Front headliner
โ€ข Front dome lamp
โ€ข Exterior mirror
โ€ข Seats
โ€ข Passenger side airbag (RH front)
โ€ข Front Headliner
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
E450 is a confusing animal to many parts places. E150-250-350 can be a passenger van or a cargo van. Maybe even a cutaway, but E450 is only a dual wheel cutaway. Still the cockpits are the same. I wonder if passenger or cargo cockpit carpets might be too long for what's left of the cockpit of a cutaway. That's all I can think of.
Our Jayco cockpit is carpeted same as the rest of the house, so it's possible the motorhome prep package doesn't include carpet, or maybe only has rubber mat.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB