cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing charger inverter with separate components?

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
The old Heart charger inverter in my 92 Monaco died. Repair guy is not sure its fixable.

Wondering about saving $$ by installing a separate 3 stage charger (150) and 2500 watt inverter (180) rather than a charger/inverter (1000+)? Disadvantages?
13 REPLIES 13

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
While we're talking about a separate charger try to incorporate the best features of an inverter based unit including the programmable 3 stage charging, battery temp monitor (super important), and etc. A poor quality charge will toast $500.00+ worth of batteries in short order.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One more thing, the prices you cite I suspect you are looking at an MSW inverter. I will recommend a TRUE SINE WAVE,, bit more expensive but I will give you the list of things that will not work with a TSW inverter:

Anythign needing more power than it can produce.

The list of things that may or may not work with MSW, is considerably longer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Advantage combo unit: Automatic switching from CHARGE (Shore/generator present) PassThrough mode to INVERTER mode (Like a UPS, in fact, it makes a very good UPS)

Advantage separate units (And finally I have learned to spell Separate, thank you speil clunk). If the inverter has issues,,, for example if it looses it's mine (Mine said "Prosine Memory Error" when that happened) you still have a converter and you can still go camping.

Advantage BOTH (combo unit AND independent converter) This is the set up I have, When I had the aftermarket inverter/converter put in I choose to keep the Factory Converter (progressive Dynamics Intella-power 9180 with wizard).

Both my Prosine's converter and the Intella-power with wizard get top ratings, Finding a better one would be dang hard, if not impossible (Been looking a long time have yet to succeed) For assorted reasons I like the Intella-power SLIGHTLY better than the Prosine but those are PERSONAL reasons, as a trained electronics techniciian I would rate them (And several others) equal for most all users.

But if for any reason the Intella-power fails (It is a plug in model and has "Failed" a few times when I snagged the cord and pulled the plug) and I usually figure it out at 3AM, Turning on the Prosine's converter module does not require going outside.

The idea is: I have a back up.

Another advantage of dual converters... The 9180 can power the house, including the Kenwood TS-2000, (A 100 watt ham Transciver) with power to spare, the TS-2000 does not even know when it is running off the 9180 without batteries connected.

The Prosine is connected direct to the batteries without BEFORE the disconnect (it has it's own disconnect system).

Thus, if I need, for any reason, like a full equalization (Which in theory I should never need) to separate the batteries from the house and push 'em up to an excessively high voltage.. I can do it. And not loose any house systems while doing it. since I have a converter/charger hooked direct to the batteries and a 2nd converter/power-spply/charger hooked to the house side of the switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I prefer separate components. I do a manual system for transfers.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
my HEart 10
was 55amp charge 1000w inverter
when it died, i replaced it with a wfco series 98xx 100amp charger and a
Tripp-lite PV1250 inverter
been that way for 4yrs

if something should go wrong, i only have to replace ONE item for much less than the cost of a new combi unit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-sw-12v_newgen.aspx
Xantrex new gen sw models use you old connections and provides pure sine wave output. It is a simple replacement.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you're pricing separate components you'll also need a transfer switch. I'd much rather install one integrated package that is designed to work together then 3 separate components, possible from different manufacturers, and make them all work. If you have a remote display the combination unit would let you monitor and control everything with only one panel. Separate units might require 2 monitor panels.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Stay away from WFCO converters if you go separate components. I assume you have at least four house batteries so 55 to 90 amps should be fine. Look at Progressive Dynamics 80 amp or IOTA 65 to 90 amps should serve you fine.

Have you considered moving to a sine wave inverter? I recommend Go Power either 2000 or 3000 watts.

I like separate components so if something fails you still have some usability and just replace what has failed.

And yes you could get by on 30 amps charging if you have lots of time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NorthOrSouth wrote:
. The one I saw had 55 amp. Does it make much difference other than slower charging at highest stage?
I'm not a scholar of battery charging, but, probably not. Of course the more batteries you have, the 100a is pretty nice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Separate chargers usually don't have 100a capability.

Wondered about that. The one I saw had 55 amp. Does it make much difference other than slower charging at highest stage?

predawn
Explorer
Explorer
NorthOrSouth wrote:
The old Heart charger inverter in my 92 Monaco died. Repair guy is not sure its fixable.

Wondering about saving $$ by installing a separate 3 stage charger (150) and 2500 watt inverter (180) rather than a charger/inverter (1000+)? Disadvantages?

I would stay with single unit system.You can buy Brand new 2000W
Xantrex 458 with 3 stage charger system for 930$
or a 2500W for 1200$

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Separate chargers usually don't have 100a capability.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
No problem.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/