cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Old TV w/Flatscreen...HELP!!!

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
The question I'm about to ask may have been shared/answered before, but I need HELP!! ...

We have a old heavy CRT-TV in an over the head cabinet in the front that we are wanting to replace with a new flat screen TV. Has anyone done this & how did you mount it in the space where the old TV was so that it will ride there with the least amount of vibration? The new flat screens don't have a frame around them so we can't brace it up against the cabinet.

I welcome all suggestions & PICTURES of how to replace & secure a new TV.

Thanks in advance for you help!!!
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad
11 REPLIES 11

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours done at Alliance Coach in Wildwood Florida. They removed the frame around the old TV, removed the old TV, added a piece of plywood on top of the old box, mounted the flat screen TV to the plywood with a flush mount. Reattached part of the old frame at the bottom and put in a piece of black electronic or speaker mesh at the bottom to allow sound and air circulation. Good mount for the price. Sorry don't have any photos.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Check here for pictures and info on TV replacement.

These TV replacements are Winnebago's only but I think the ideas can be used in most RVs.

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
after replacing mine, I filled the top leftover space with a visio sound bar bought off ebay. it is the same size as the 32" tv in length
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The new flat screens do have a set of standard spaced mounting holes on the back, there are brackets that will mount it to a wall.. You put a DOOR on the cabinet (you may wish to have a cabinet maker re-make the cabinet) and mount the TV on the door. Open the door and inside you put DVD's. blue ray discs, CD's and such since you now have all this spare storage.

That is my plan.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The design of your mounting method will depend on the TV. Some have front speakers and some have rear mounted speakers. If you do not plan to hook up your new TV to your existing speaker system, then you need to purchase a TV with front mounted speakers and build a frame to hold the TV with the speaker area open.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Previous post

p.s. There are a lot more posts out there, if you use the search. Many are older than 12 months.

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Never even thought of the plywood box idea....very innovative. Uses the same mounting security as the original unit. I did achieve extra storage by using a full motion mount. More than one video of this process on Youtube. Just search.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my bedroom tv with a new flat one. So far so good with staying where I put it. You will probably have space left at the top and need to find a way to fill it in - I will post a pic of how I chose to do that. I bought a tv that fit the width of the opening almost exactly then screwed braces into the frame of the opening to keep the tv from moving back and some foam strip insulation on the wood from that goes in front of the tv so it is in essence trapped between the braces and the frame.

2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
Very simply, I built a plywood box that had the same dimensions of the old TV.

Using spray-on adhesive, I covered the box using a cheap $5 black blanket from Walmart. The blanket was cheaper than buying black felt.

I attached the new TV to box using four mounting bolts. Make sure that the bolts match the thread pattern of back of the TV and make sure that they aren't too long or too short.

I slid the black box (with the attached TV) into the old TV cavity and secured the box using same method that the old TV was secured.

The back TV was even easier, It was strapped down to the top of the dresser. I removed the old TV and mounted a new one to the corner of the room using nothing more than single black piece of plywood. The TV just seems to float there in the corner and (other than four mounting bolts) no expensive mounting hardware was purchased.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Some pictures here of how I replaced our old CRT TV with a larger flat screen TV in our Class C.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Call me. Tell you how I did it.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net