cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing the sofa bed in living area motorhome

7craneway
Explorer
Explorer
looking to replace the old sofa bed ....any ideas..?? I'v checked on line found a web site Shop4seats.com...anyone familiar with them..or have switch out the old sofa...also ..also my captains chair..By the end of the day my back kills me...any help..??
17 REPLIES 17

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Jbracey0 wrote:
I found the shop4seats too since we are looking to replace every piece of old furniture in the rv we are getting and they have whole packages. Their eBay reviews are great but I've tried two days in a row to call and no one ever picks up... if someone does have their furniture I would like to know of itsomeone worth it!

Remember it was Vets day on Monday and many companies also allowed their employees Friday off. What they were doing yesterday I don't know, maybe trying to catch up on all the calls they had.

Give them another try maybe?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Jbracey0, we replaced our flexsteel jackknife sofa with a hideabed with airbed from Shop for Seats. It was $1500 delivered. It came apart into 4 pieces to get thru the door. Quality was good, I haven't slept on it however my brother did and said it was fine. Feels good to lay on. Only issue was in shipping, slight scuffing on arm corners. I felt it could have been packaged better, however forklifts, and dropping can damage anything. Made a claim and they sent me 2 new arms. Make sure if you order something to pay attention to the measurements. We wanted a hideabed, however it extends further into the living area than a jackknife. That was my fault though not theirs. Short story long, would I buy from them again, yes. Hope this helps, Don

Jbracey0
Explorer
Explorer
I found the shop4seats too since we are looking to replace every piece of old furniture in the rv we are getting and they have whole packages. Their eBay reviews are great but I've tried two days in a row to call and no one ever picks up... if someone does have their furniture I would like to know of itsomeone worth it!

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
7craneway wrote:
looking to replace the old sofa bed ....any ideas..?? I'v checked on line found a web site Shop4seats.com...anyone familiar with them..or have switch out the old sofa...also ..also my captains chair..By the end of the day my back kills me...any help..??

I needed a coach/hide-a-bed system. ordered on online through Camping world, decent unit great bed system about $900

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not knowing how much room you have but I replaced a loveseat sized sofa bed with a recliner I got off Amazon. Without the back removed it fit thru the coach 24" door.

Before

During

After
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
OP: Do your really need a sofa bed? Recliners are much more comfortable and our LazyBoys recline almost to a bed level. They are nice to sleep in. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Rather than settle for RV or residential furniture, I made the frame and had an upholstery shop make the cushions for TWO couches in my coach. This gave me storage underneath, utilized every single inch of space, had commercial grade covers made that unzipped to be washed on a regular basis, included cup holders and outlets in the arms, and the total cost was less than a single RV couch.

Please tell me you have pictures! A blog write up of the entire project maybe?

My Journey's couch is comfortable to sit on, but it's a horror to sleep on. It must have been a pretty expensive option for the OP, but I would rather get rid of the electrical stuff as unnecessary, and have a working storage area underneath. The pull out it has now gives a wide double foot rest but the latching assembly is so badly designed, it must have broken early on. There's a remote release, cable, and drop pin. The cable broke sometime in the past, probably due to the fact that the couch footrest as to be perfectly aligned for the pin to release.

I'd like to get rid of the darn thing ASAP, and a custom like you describe would be great...

Picture sent by PM
I'd also like to see a picture of your design, please.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim@HiTek wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Rather than settle for RV or residential furniture, I made the frame and had an upholstery shop make the cushions for TWO couches in my coach. This gave me storage underneath, utilized every single inch of space, had commercial grade covers made that unzipped to be washed on a regular basis, included cup holders and outlets in the arms, and the total cost was less than a single RV couch.

My Journey's couch is comfortable to sit on, but it's a horror to sleep on. It must have been a pretty expensive option for the OP, but I would rather get rid of the electrical stuff as unnecessary, and have a working storage area underneath. The pull out it has now gives a wide double foot rest but the latching assembly is so badly designed, it must have broken early on. There's a remote release, cable, and drop pin. The cable broke sometime in the past, probably due to the fact that the couch footrest as to be perfectly aligned for the pin to release.

I'd like to get rid of the darn thing ASAP, and a custom like you describe would be great...

Picture sent by PM

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Ikea has come out with some new sectionals. Some have beds, some have storage, some have neither. We are going to swap out our current L shaped RV couch for storage sections and an ottoman. There are about 5 different models and each model has various types of seating. We are getting the Vallentula; there is also Soderhahm (very comfortable), Kivik, and Landskrona. They also have sleeper sofas. A lot of their sofas and sectionals have removable and washable covers.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We found a memory foam cushion with a gel insert that goes between the layer. You can freeze the insert to help you stay cooler. Can sit on the cushion, or put it behind your back. Really helps, but our Flexsteel seats have lumbar support and 6 way adjustment and are pretty comfortable. I use the memory foam cushion in our Jeep and at the dinette seat for more comfort.

Are you driving too many hours and too many miles? Maybe you just need to slow down a bit, take breaks and smell the roses.

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Flexsteel captain's chairs in 4 coaches and never had a back problem, even on one marathon drive of 750 miles in one loooong day. I can't say that about my cars and trucks from Lincolns to F150's. In our current coach we removed the sofa bed and installed 2 Mac Motion Oslo recliners which are a lot better to watch the 50" popup TV behind the sofa on the opposing slide.

Dave
07 Revolution

RLHAMILTON
Explorer
Explorer
We removed our sofa bed a couple years ago, and after several different chairs, settled on two recliners we found in Shipshewana, In. Made by Lambright Comfort Chairs. Best chairs we purchased. Good luck!
DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
If you want something that makes into a bed the home stuff doesn't have much to offer.
The only thing I really found was a click clack couch/ bed.
I ended up getting a magic bed from Brad and hall.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU