cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road conditions thru Nashville and Louisville

Wildflower
Explorer
Explorer
Typical Snowbird headed north in a couple weeks. We've been hearing horror stories about construction backups in Nashville on 65 and Louisville due to bridge construction over the Ohio. Any first hand reports.
12 REPLIES 12

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Get off your GPS or tell it to avoid interstates and look for lesser roads through the countryside. It may take you longer, but you will arrived relaxed and without the holdups caused by construction. It is Spring and this is the beginning of major projects north of the snow line.

Taking the Interstates is the same as flying over, unless you are on a tight schedule add one day to your travel plans and relax.

I have not looked at a map of your route, but it is almost always possible to avoid the I roads.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Went SB through Louisville in November. Orange detour signs were trying to direct me around it, but my GPS had no idea where I was, and I evidently missed one, so I found myself and 35' of fifth wheel in downtown Louisville. Good Lord.

GPS finally found an on ramp - the sign for which was well-obscured by trees. Whew.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bobtucker
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-275 around cincinnati

janstey
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an iPhone look ahead on your route for any red or yellow coloring on the road map, that'll give you forewarning of backups.
JeffA and KimA
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H (Workhorse Chassis) / with two slides
2003 Jeep Liberty toad, all 4 down w/brake buddy

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
South on I65, I followed the detour signs around the Louisville construction last year...What a disaster, it seemed I got into the bridge construction anyway and drove miles out of the way. Next time I'll go Indy to Nashville thru Effingham!
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Resurfacing on I-65 north of Nashville, with lane closures every day. Try to hit it very early in the morning, like before 7 AM.

If you go to TDOT SMARTWAY and select "traffic cameras" from the menu in the upper right corner, it will also show you green, yellow, red, or black for traffic flow, with green being speed limit drive & black being totally stopped.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Wildflower
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the input from all. Seriously considering the by-pass around Louisville.mmhate I 75 and do anything to avoid it.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what is happening in Louisville right now with the bridge construction on I-65 but when I came south last year I took I-265 on the north side west to I-64 then towards L'ville on I-64 to I-264 south. This takes you to I-65 just south of the airport in L'ville. Probably 9 to 10 miles further but you don't hit the construction near the bridge.

I just came through Nashville on I-65. There is construction just north of the city on I-65. I hit it mid-morning on Wednesday and it wasn't too bad.

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Easter weekend I came through there, hit Nashville at 5am they hadn't woke up yet easy sailing. Louisville was also easy going. But on that weekend a lot of road construction was shut down. Seems like I heard they have been closing sections of the road to do blasting, (long Delays)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
GOSH! Glad I'm going I 40. Only 300 miles of Orange barrels in Arkansas. LOL

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Wildflower wrote:
Typical Snowbird headed north in a couple weeks. We've been hearing horror stories about construction backups in Nashville on 65 and Louisville due to bridge construction over the Ohio. Any first hand reports.

Those stories are true. I recommend you consider I-75

A couple weeks ago with our MH we went Michigan- Knoxville- Alanta and back to SW Michigan. I thought we really lucked out as we saw some HUGE backups in the other direction a couple times.

Friends got stuck in the Louisville construction last monday with the 5er.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I came through both last weekend. Hit Nashville on the bypass during rush hour around 5:30 and it was horrendous. Lost around 45 minutes. Hit Louisville around 11pm after stopping to get something to eat and breezed right through it.
If coming through Louisville stay in the far left two lanes.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.