cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Concrete Pad Questions

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm putting together a drawing package for the concrete pad in my upcoming garage and I would like some input.

Per the building drawing package the slab requirement is a 4" X 48'5" l X 20'3" with 12" X 12" footers. It also has a 1.5" X 1.5" sheeting edge. 2500 psi at 26 days. The slab is above grade.

I'm thinking about specifying a coach wt of 45,000 lbs and a max tire loading of 8,000 lbs to give the contractors and idea of what the point load will be.

Is that a good approach as opposed to simply specing the concrete type, thickness, and reinforcing?? After all they should be the experts.

Thanks again for all the valuable input on this project.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
24 REPLIES 24

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel for the OP. He must be really confused at this point.

He should hire a real expert and not take anything written here to heart.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with your soil and freeze/thaw, moisture or expansive soil conditions. but in looking at historical data for your area, you do have occasional freezing conditions and seasonal rain which needs some attention. The bottom of footings need to below grade to help offset those situations. The compacted fill allows for drainage and to help offset irregularities in soil conditions. It is cheap insurance, because someone may have buried a cactus or log under your slab.

Post tensioning of the slab is great, but a dumb slab with adequate fiber and mesh reinforcing is probably adequate. A 6" thick slab should be an absolute minimum.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the strength of the concrete that matters. It's what is under it that really makes the difference. A highly compacted sub grade is what determines the viability of concrete. If your sub grade is weak, then the concrete will fail. 2400, 3000, 4000 it does not matter. Compact, compact, then compact some more.

That's really not true. It might be true in most cases, but there are places where you can't get the soil compacted and stable, regardless of how much you spend. There are places where the soil is going to give you problems.

In those cases, higher strength concrete and maybe post-tensioning the slab come into play. Houston and SE Arizona are classic examples. Expansive clay soils don't really care how much you compact them or the base course. They do what they please and will tear apart a structure if you don't build right for them.

A post-tensioned slab is extremely unlikely to crack because the concrete is under constant compression from the cables inside. A more typical example is bridges and elevated floor slabs where with post-tensioning, it doesn't matter if anything is under the slab. A raft slab does exactly what the name implies. It sits atop the bad soil like a boat on water.

Since none of us know what the OP's soil is like, we're throwing rules of thumb at the question. The OP might have perfectly stable soils where it doesn't take much engineering to get the slab right. If the OP's soil isn't good, there are ways to overcome the problem. Generally, that means engineering a slab, almost as if there is nothing under it. Sometimes, over excavating the pad area and filling it in with engineered fill is enough.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I did our concrete myself because it was what my grand father, my dad and what I did for many years. I did 5" with 1/2" rebar at 20"x20" squares. I rolled a design that had a straight line going across it every 9 ft. I then sawed on the straight lines. This was done in 1998 and no cracks but as was said above concrete cracks.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not the strength of the concrete that matters. It's what is under it that really makes the difference. A highly compacted sub grade is what determines the viability of concrete. If your sub grade is weak, then the concrete will fail. 2400, 3000, 4000 it does not matter. Compact, compact, then compact some more.

If in doubt, have a soils engineer make the final call.

In my project, I have 2400 PSI 6" over native. Highly compacted. I have RV's running through here all day long. No failures at all, and I have 180,000 sq ft of it. Will it crack at some point? Yes. Nothing you can do about that. That is the nature of concrete. Mostly hairline cracks.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
the silverback wrote:
If you intend to park it for a long time put something under the tires between them and the concrete pad. Both Michelin and Goodyear say this needs to be done. Maybe there is something on their web sites. I remember a engineer from Michelin saying a piece of plywood is OK. Please check it out.

Yes. I am full-timing now and it was recommended that there be a barrier between the ground (concrete etc.) and the tires. I use wood and also have a vinyl place mat above the wood. It is said that the concrete will leach the oils from the tire. This is more important than tire covers.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the 4,000 pound mud as they use a lot of fly ash these days. Rebar and 6 inch mesh would be grand. Don't forget about expansion joints or have the contractor come back the next day and deep cut the slab with a power saw creating a place for expansion.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Dick

If you do that, you better pick your contractor well. Some may not be up to that task.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies and I will use the info to better quiz potential contractors.

I'm not going to spec anything but size and usage. I don't want to be put in the position of a contractor saying..."Well that's what you asked for".

I do wonder why so many use a gravel base. I sort of figured that since my ground is so hard it the slab would just be poured right on to of the soil. The only excavation I see necessary would be for the footers.

If the top of the slab is set so that the desired thickness is at the high spots of the site wouldn't that even eliminate any leveling???

FYI, my ground is so hard that driving a MH on it barely leave tire marks and will even support the jacks.

Thanks again for the info.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would use 6 or 8 inch concrete 4000 psi air entrained with fiber mesh. Rebar where needed .Compaction is one of the most important parts. Can also use rolls of wire if preferred. Expansion, control joints and saw cuts where needed.

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer
I poured a 16'X40' slab for my Rv 3 years ago. I started with 4 inches of stone compacted with a heavy diesel compactor. Then we poured 8" of 4000 psi concrete. So far not even a crack in it.

the_armadillo
Explorer
Explorer
Our foundation on our new RV/truck barn was overkill I admit and was mostly due to my specs but did not want any slab problems. It is a monolithic slab (no joints), 6 inch thick with additional 18 in thick by 24 inch wide beams around perimeter plus two similar sized beams down each side of central bay where RV will be parked. Six #7 bars in each beam tied into #5 rebar grid 16" OC. Also has brick ledge around perimeter to add stone wainscot to match house in the future.

Also added a threaded floor drain which is located just below where the RV utility basement compartment will be. Concrete contractor sloped concrete 3 feet around and down into drain with a 1/4 inch per foot pitch. Has the recessed (slotted style) cap.

Getting the slab coated with commercially contractor applied epoxy next week.

Will add 6 inch driveways with somewhat smaller perimeter beams next year.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without knowing your soil type, any filled areas, and compaction... we are guessing. Based on the 12x12 footer I would go with 3000 and fiber and 4" thick except where the tires will run and then 8"x 24" X 50' . I would run a single #5 rebar long ways under where the tires will run with 3' #4 rebar cross ways every 2-3'. You need to saw it down the middle and every 12.5' cross ways to control where it's going to crack.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
They just poured my MH garage pad 6" and 12" around the edges. 25 by 50 ft. Fiber in concrete and re-bar. A little under $7k. Included grading and forming.