cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saying Goodbye

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
I have read these posts for I can't tell you how many years, under three different account names. I even used to post/respond, but quit when I kept getting slammed! I probably deserved it as I am far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

After much thought we have decided to no longer RV. Our dream that was 10 years in the making has come to an end after about 2 years. We have some wonderful memories but time to try something else. So, the RV was sold this past Saturday. I cried as it drove away.

Best of luck to all of you and hope you have a wonderful and happy 2014! Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. Travel safe!!
31 REPLIES 31

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can say "See you later", but not goodbye....:W......Dennis and Debi
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
Devonm2012 wrote:
Someone asked why we are stopping RVing. Primarily because we don't have much of any family left and thought we would develop strong family ties with other RVers. We have met AMAZING people but they have families and lives elsewhere. So, we have a great time for a few days/weeks, etc., then they pack up and move or we do. We do enjoy getting out and sightseeing, and have seen some amazing things, but find ourselves getting bored and lonely quite often. That is the biggest reason. Others close to the top have been bad parks (dusty, camp fires (I have horrible allergies to dust and smoke), tree issues, not level, can't wash, we have been jumped by dogs off leash more times than I can count, rude staff if I ask for assistance due to allergies), complete disregard for most rules and can't find decent parks close to what little family we have and many times not close to where we want to go. Much was my fault because I OBSESSED constantly about the RV since we wanted it to last forever looking brand new. Not realistic. We will take a few years off and then probably buy something else ~ I could see a Class C, Class B or maybe even a 5th wheel. We LOVED our old Class C and I didn't give much of any of the aforementioned issues any thought because it was not our home. I could see being snowbirds some day to avoid bad winters, probably staying in one park most/all of a given season.

i have been looking at sites where they deliver the trailer or 5th wheel to the site and pick it up after use. this is in florida. never have to tow it yourself. it may seem expensive but when you consider all the costs of owning a motorhome it seems cheap.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
As we all know, RVing is not for everyone. At least you gave it a try instead of sitting on the outside and making a decision without any experience. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
X2!!!

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
Someone asked why we are stopping RVing. Primarily because we don't have much of any family left and thought we would develop strong family ties with other RVers. We have met AMAZING people but they have families and lives elsewhere. So, we have a great time for a few days/weeks, etc., then they pack up and move or we do. We do enjoy getting out and sightseeing, and have seen some amazing things, but find ourselves getting bored and lonely quite often. That is the biggest reason. Others close to the top have been bad parks (dusty, camp fires (I have horrible allergies to dust and smoke), tree issues, not level, can't wash, we have been jumped by dogs off leash more times than I can count, rude staff if I ask for assistance due to allergies), complete disregard for most rules and can't find decent parks close to what little family we have and many times not close to where we want to go. Much was my fault because I OBSESSED constantly about the RV since we wanted it to last forever looking brand new. Not realistic. We will take a few years off and then probably buy something else ~ I could see a Class C, Class B or maybe even a 5th wheel. We LOVED our old Class C and I didn't give much of any of the aforementioned issues any thought because it was not our home. I could see being snowbirds some day to avoid bad winters, probably staying in one park most/all of a given season.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
You are giving it up too quickly. Aim again for that 10 year mark and let it happen.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Devonm2012 wrote:
I have read these posts for I can't tell you how many years, under three different account names. I even used to post/respond, but quit when I kept getting slammed! I probably deserved it as I am far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

After much thought we have decided to no longer RV. Our dream that was 10 years in the making has come to an end after about 2 years. We have some wonderful memories but time to try something else. So, the RV was sold this past Saturday. I cried as it drove away.

Best of luck to all of you and hope you have a wonderful and happy 2014! Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. Travel safe!!

I am sorry to hear this. Please continue to monitor and even participate in conversations. I know personally I have been slammed several times and it used to really get to me but I learned to take it
and move on. The part I hate is getting a PM from someone that disagrees but don't have the guts to put it on the forum.
My wife and I bought a place in Yuma and will stay fulltime for 2 more years then we are giving up on fulltime......we will continue to RV, I am not ready to give up traveling altogether.
If you are ever in Yuma stop by and say HI. Good luck in you endeavors.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
And to think... All the problems I'm having with my Palazzo, you'd think I would throw in the towel! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚ 2014 will be a much better year. I just know it! ๐Ÿ™‚

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

et2
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Devonm2012 wrote:

The two happiest days in a RVer's life: The day they buy the motorhome and the day they sell it!

I think she said she cried when it drove away:h Tears of joy?

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Devonm2012 wrote:

The two happiest days in a RVer's life: The day they buy the motorhome and the day they sell it!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Boarhog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure we'v all been slammed a couple of times at least, but don't take it seriously and definitely don't take it personally.

We have many strong personalities here, and consequently strong opinions. That goes with the individualistic types of lifestyles we lead.

I'd like to echo the comment of, don't stop posting. We learn so much from each other, even the know it alls learn so much. And the best of luck to you.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
What will happen to creating sunshine for others?

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Good luck in your new endeavors! You are correct, it does not take long for anybody to realize that we all need to be a little thick skinned to participate on forums.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
What was the reason you gave up RVing?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
You can keep monitoring this web site and give advice on your areas of expertise. It can help us all. Have a great 2014
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you don't feel like you can't participate on this forum any longer. There are lots of folks that enjoy it and don't currently have a RV.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone