Seatbelt usage

Explorer

Re: Seatbelt usage

Well, I just can't sit by any longer.....

I have worked for OEs in Detroit for a long time. Only a few years of that was in Crash. With two different OEs (one direct one contract - for those that care), if you watch a few crash tests with unrestrained occupants you will have engraved forever in your memory what happens and it is not pretty. Suffice it to say that unrestrained tests are no longer required because the survival rate makes it a complete waste of time and money.

I also worked for NHSTA resolving crash data (again on contract) and I can tell you that an unrestrained occupant - even if not ejected - has a low probability of survival. Ejected, the chance approaches zero.

On clear limited access highway, you should be pretty safe - Right?
Have you seen RV blows tire on You Tube??
Let's go back to plan A shall we??
Everybody stays in place and belted. If necessary and only with the driver's approval, one may move about to retrieve something or make an unplanned head (potty) call and then immediately returns to and re-belts in a passenger seat.

The forces available during a crash are not something that most people can imagine let alone actively resist.

Yes, some think I am sort of paranoid. Notice that I am OLD and paranoid.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.