cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brighter lighting for my MH

ddro
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to increase the brightness of my standard lighting in my MH.
I have the wedge base incandescent bulbs and they are too dim for my taste. I bought some LED bulbs but they had a blueish tint to them and are hard to adjust to.
We usually connect to shore power but sometimes boondock.
I tried putting one led in one side of the light and a LED in the other side but the LED bulb looks brighter but I hate the blueish light. Does anybody have any suggestions how they handled the problem increasing the light levels in their unit?
Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
DW is an artist and very aware of colours. She gave warm white LEDs the thumbs up.

You mention being on shore power most of the time - be aware the inexpensive LEDs from China run hot at voltages over 13 volts. There goes the long life and the power saving. In that situation I would look for voltage regulated LEDs or use a voltage regulator on each lighting circuit.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Sure they do. If you're that sensitive to CRI, then you need to find LEDs that publish that spec. ALL TV production, and a large number of film crews are now ALL LED as allot of art museums. I can't imagine anything more critical on the CRI index than these two professions.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
For interior lighting I would not use LED's or CFL's. Unless power saving is an absolute must. They do not give off the full color spectrum (CFL's are horrible). There are a few interesting articles on these types of bulbs causing depression as colors are not as vibrant.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ddro
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman, What kind do you recommend? I just bought some warm light bulbs and some white light bulbs. I will try them and see. I think I got the bright light bulbs before and they were the ones that have that irritating blue tinge to them.
Thanks for your reply

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You want warm white...3000 color temp. Sounds like you have bright white...7000 temp.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
LEDs come in various color temperatures. The lower the number or warmer the color temperature, the less bluish and more reddish the light is. Incandescent bulbs have a very reddish/orangish light output. Many inexpensive LEDs are very much on the cool/bluish side. If you get some "warm white" LEDs, it probably would be closer to your liking.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have white LED lights and too bright! Try different wattage LEDS to get the right one. Bed lights in particular for reading!

We have solved the problem by fitting USB outlets next to the bed and other areas and using an Ikea USB table light which is ideal for background when reading. Also we have flexible USB lights that normally go in a computer and great for bedside reading - small spot lights)
The USB sockets also mean we have plenty of areas we can charge phones, tablets etc and keep our power down when boon docking.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
By wedge style, do you mean like these? This is what I replaced all of the bulbs that were this style with. Sure did cut down on the heat in the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZOUPCA

If you scroll down that page, you'll find a super bright model also. Just make sure you get the ones that say "WARM white"
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS pulled by 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There is quite a variety of wedge bulbs available. I put in some that are twice the wattage that were in there in certain fixtures and it made a huge difference.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the halogen's in my park model with LED's. Admittedly a lot easier than the 12v ones, but here's a chart showing the colors. Try to get as close to the color you prefer ๐Ÿ™‚

click

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the brighter white LEDs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman