cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seatbelt usage

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks! I haven't posted here in a long time but this forum helped me make the decision on which fifth wheel and tow vehicle to buy many years ago and we've had lots of great times since then. The tow vehicle is getting old and I won't be buying another big truck so it's time for a change.

We're planning to buy an older class c motorhome and we're in the process of sealing the deal on one right now. It's a 2000 fourwinds.

I'll have tons of questions I'm sure but for now I'm just curious on how strict everyone is with seat belt usage? For example: would you make your teenage kids stay belted to the couch while traveling or would you let them get up and make a snack or use the bathroom? Anyone in the cab will wear their belts but what about in the house?

Just curious what the class c pros have to say on this

Thanks
Jay

The TV: 2004 Ford F250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, V10
The RV: Laredo by Keystone, 29BH
Wonderful wife
2 great kids
one spoiled English Bulldog

26 REPLIES 26

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need seat belts until you crash! I never got any good out of mine but use it every time. A teacher friend of mine used to take basketball teams to games in his motorhome - said it saved an hour a trip compared to a school bus because the kids all went to the bathroom with no need to stop. No, he didn't have a crash and didn't lose his job, but he should have.

I love having the bathroom and fridge aboard. But the best thing is stopping at a rest stop to use them and have a little break from driving.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just can't sit by any longer.....

I have worked for OEs in Detroit for a long time. Only a few years of that was in Crash. With two different OEs (one direct one contract - for those that care), if you watch a few crash tests with unrestrained occupants you will have engraved forever in your memory what happens and it is not pretty. Suffice it to say that unrestrained tests are no longer required because the survival rate makes it a complete waste of time and money.

I also worked for NHSTA resolving crash data (again on contract) and I can tell you that an unrestrained occupant - even if not ejected - has a low probability of survival. Ejected, the chance approaches zero.

On clear limited access highway, you should be pretty safe - Right?
Have you seen RV blows tire on You Tube??
Let's go back to plan A shall we??
Everybody stays in place and belted. If necessary and only with the driver's approval, one may move about to retrieve something or make an unplanned head (potty) call and then immediately returns to and re-belts in a passenger seat.

The forces available during a crash are not something that most people can imagine let alone actively resist.

Yes, some think I am sort of paranoid. Notice that I am OLD and paranoid.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
yep I see quite a few traffic fatalities in the paper where the deceased was thrown from the vehicle
bumpy

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
All seatbelts, all the time, no exceptions.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
1. Go to YOUTUBE.

2. Search for "RUSSIAN SEAT EJECTIONS".

3. View a few of them CAREFULLY.

4. Yell " YIKES!".
Ray

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
Heck, if it were that easy, there would probably be fewer seatbelt laws. Just depend on the driver to yell and buckle up then!
There are still seatbelt deniers - after all these years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

Bumpy,

Crashes don't normally happen in slow motion or even slowly enough for the driver to think to scream out a code word, and the passenger to hear the word, process it, and take appropriate action. If you had all this time, you'd typically have enough time to avoid the crash in the first place. You're really fooling yourself if you think this would do any good. Besides, an unbelted passenger would probably be just as injured if they "hit the deck" or simply be thrown as they stand up. Forces in a crash are incredible, and no matter what you might see in a movie, you can't just "hold on".

tell you what we can do a little test. we'll get into a class A rv, drive down the road, I'll slam on the brakes with you standing in the aisle, then repeat it with you lying on the floor. Oh wait, lets reverse that procedure so you will be able to undergo part B.
I didn't say it was fool proof, etc. just be good to have an understanding as to action if the unforseen occurs.
reminds me of my wife's help when backing into a space,she tried to figure out meaningful hand/arm signals when to stop if needed immediately. my suggestion, yell "STOP" at the top of her lungs.
bumpy

Hello bumpy,
First off, a Happy Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately, your theory and test is flawed. In your test, both the driver and the passenger know it is a test, and are prepared to take action. They're ready for it, not like an unexpected crash. There's quite a difference there!

You're slamming on the brakes provides no where near the forces that are in play during a crash. No matter how hard you stand on the brakes, there simply is no comparison to a crash.

I can do the same thing in any vehicle with a passenger. Yell "brace yourself" then slam on the brakes, and there's probably not much of a need for seat belts. Slam into the back of the car in front of me, there's more need for seat belts, no matter how alert the driver is and yells in time for the passenger to take action.

Heck, if it were that easy, there would probably be fewer seatbelt laws. Just depend on the driver to yell and buckle up then!

Lastly, backing up at 2-5 mph and being able to stop when your wife yells stop is a lot different than tooling down the highway at 65. Not sure why this was even mentioned!

since VA and NJ are close, lets find a Class A owner in Del who doesn't mind a little blood on his windshield who will loan us his vehicle for a test.

and just because the subjects know what is coming doesn't diminish the test results of standing vs lying down.
bumpy

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

Bumpy,

Crashes don't normally happen in slow motion or even slowly enough for the driver to think to scream out a code word, and the passenger to hear the word, process it, and take appropriate action. If you had all this time, you'd typically have enough time to avoid the crash in the first place. You're really fooling yourself if you think this would do any good. Besides, an unbelted passenger would probably be just as injured if they "hit the deck" or simply be thrown as they stand up. Forces in a crash are incredible, and no matter what you might see in a movie, you can't just "hold on".

tell you what we can do a little test. we'll get into a class A rv, drive down the road, I'll slam on the brakes with you standing in the aisle, then repeat it with you lying on the floor. Oh wait, lets reverse that procedure so you will be able to undergo part B.
I didn't say it was fool proof, etc. just be good to have an understanding as to action if the unforseen occurs.
reminds me of my wife's help when backing into a space,she tried to figure out meaningful hand/arm signals when to stop if needed immediately. my suggestion, yell "STOP" at the top of her lungs.
bumpy

Hello bumpy,
First off, a Happy Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately, your theory and test is flawed. In your test, both the driver and the passenger know it is a test, and are prepared to take action. They're ready for it, not like an unexpected crash. There's quite a difference there!

You're slamming on the brakes provides no where near the forces that are in play during a crash. No matter how hard you stand on the brakes, there simply is no comparison to a crash.

I can do the same thing in any vehicle with a passenger. Yell "brace yourself" then slam on the brakes, and there's probably not much of a need for seat belts. Slam into the back of the car in front of me, there's more need for seat belts, no matter how alert the driver is and yells in time for the passenger to take action.

Lastly, backing up at 2-5 mph and being able to stop when your wife yells stop is a lot different than tooling down the highway at 65. Not sure why this was even mentioned!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:

Bumpy,

bumpy

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wow I just noticed my sig! I still have the '04 F250 and the '05 Laredo. Bought both brand new and have really gotten my money's worth out of them!

Sadly, our beautiful English bulldog, Dolly passed 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 12-1/2

Glad to be back here and looking forward to learning a lot about class c motorhomes!

Wonderful wife
2 great kids

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies! Someone recently told me that "most rv'ers" think it's safer not to wear seatbelts unless you're in the cab. I thought that sounded a little nutty but I don't know many folks who've owned motorhomes so I thought I'd ask here. I got the answers I pretty much expected.

My kids are 15 and 18 and I will be making sure they're buckled up when the vehicle is moving. I've never worn a seat belt in my life in any vehicle but I've been trying to change my ways... Maybe this would be a good time to start 😉

Wonderful wife
2 great kids

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

If allowing it in a moving RV, one should have worked out a "safe word" that the driver can scream indicating that the passenger should hit the deck immediately.
bumpy

You are joking, aren't you?

not at all. this is assuming that you allow folks to walk/move around while the vehicle is moving. if there is imminent danger, instead of politely taking your time to suggest the person moves to a seatbelted location, that they should hit the deck instead of still standing around.
bumpy

Bumpy,

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

If allowing it in a moving RV, one should have worked out a "safe word" that the driver can scream indicating that the passenger should hit the deck immediately.
bumpy

not at all. this is assuming that you allow folks to walk/move around while the vehicle is moving. if there is imminent danger, instead of politely taking your time to suggest the person moves to a seatbelted location, that they should hit the deck instead of still standing around.
bumpy

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy