cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shower Streaks Scrubbing Bubbles

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
DW been using scrubbing bubbles without any issue until a recent event that caused her to forget and the product dried too long on the shower walls leaving these streaks down the wall. Can't seem to remove them (I can hardly see them -- but then again w/o my glasses I can hardly see) Any tips out there from someone who may have experienced a similar event?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
10 REPLIES 10

C_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
C Duck wrote:
For those of you that want to start with a squeaky clean shower I'd like to share a method that has worked wonders for me. Use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner...spray it on, let it sit for a few hours and wipe off with a wet rag. Done. Any residue will rinse off during the first shower.
By the way, get the blue can as it doesn't smell.
I don't know what your shower is made of, but Easy-Off Oven Cleaner is only recommended for use in metal ovens. It is not recommended on aluminum or continuous-cleaning ovens and not recommended for microwave ovens. There are many RVs out there with showers made of plastic type materials and even fiberglass materials. You could ruin those type showers if you use Easy Off Oven Cleaner on them!

You may be right but it hasn't hurt (as far as I know)any of my rent-house showers or my sticks & bricks shower and I've used it for years.

On edit: All showers are fiberglass.
Chuck

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
C Duck wrote:
For those of you that want to start with a squeaky clean shower I'd like to share a method that has worked wonders for me. Use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner...spray it on, let it sit for a few hours and wipe off with a wet rag. Done. Any residue will rinse off during the first shower.
I don't know what your shower is made of, but Easy-Off Oven Cleaner is only recommended for use in metal ovens. It is not recommended on aluminum or continuous-cleaning ovens and not recommended for microwave ovens. There are many RVs out there with showers made of plastic type materials and even fiberglass materials. You could ruin those type showers if you use Easy Off Oven Cleaner on them!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
I swear by Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner. You don't have to worry about rinsing it immediately. I just put it on and rinse it the next time I shower. Good Luck.

X-2!!! and I found out about Clean Shower right here on RV.net many years ago. It worked and have been using it both in the motorhome and in the stick house ever sense.

DW thought I was nuts when I picked it up at the grocery store. She had been using a rubber squeegee for that job. Now she just sprays with Clean Shower!!! We spray every time we take a shower, and spray and wipe when cleaning.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

C_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
bcbounders wrote:
Hi Jim & Monica,

Sorry to hear that the Scrubbing Bubbles caused streaks like that! It's certainly possible that it has "etched" itself into the surface of your shower walls... which would be a real bummer.

I've found that baking soda is another great helper in the shower... since it makes the water so soft, it really helps to dissolve soap scum, etc. And you can leave it a little "thicker" so that it has some slight scrubbing action. You just don't want it TOO scrubby so that it doesn't scratch.

Another helpful tip I picked up from the guys at HowToRVgeeks.com was to use car wax on the shower walls & glass. Sounds like a weird solution, but in conjunction with squeegeeing the water off after showering, it really makes it much easier to keep the shower clean... no spots and less soap scum! You have to really clean the shower first before applying the wax... but if after doing that you use a cleaner/wax, it may help remove the streaks left by the Scrubbing Bubbles.

Here's the video from HowToRVgeeks (the part about waxing comes up around the 2 minute mark):

http://howtorvgeeks.com/quick-tips/get-your-rv-shower-ready-to-roll/

Best of luck!

Ok my weekend job is set as I wax my shower! Thanks to all the helpful suggestions we are trying them all!

Jim and Monica
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, here's the lazy guy's solution to shower care used both at home and in the RV. Depending on shower use etc., your mileage may vary.

I read somewhere on the net that most bar soap has talc as an ingredient and that the talc is a major ingredient in "soap scum". This old dog switched to "body wash" that has no talc and noticed a difference. Traumatic switch for an old dog, but seemed to work.

Having made the switch, tried the "daily shower cleaner" products that are promoted by most of the major companies and available at the Dollar stores (both seem to work well). They promote them as if they are going to clean your shower, but they won't. You have to start with a clean shower!

Starting with a clean shower: Rinse down the walls after showering to get rid of any "products" you may have splashed on the walls etc. then spray the shower cleaner on all the surfaces. It breaks down the bubbles and stops whatever contaminants are left from drying on the surface. End of the day, a clean shower! Depending on use, once a week/fortnight/month you will want to go in with a manual cleaner to deal with the nooks and crannies, but day-to-day the best solution I've found. No daily cleaning, no squeegying, even glass shower doors show up as clean at the end of the day.
tfw

bcbounders
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jim & Monica,

Sorry to hear that the Scrubbing Bubbles caused streaks like that! It's certainly possible that it has "etched" itself into the surface of your shower walls... which would be a real bummer.

I've found that baking soda is another great helper in the shower... since it makes the water so soft, it really helps to dissolve soap scum, etc. And you can leave it a little "thicker" so that it has some slight scrubbing action. You just don't want it TOO scrubby so that it doesn't scratch.

Another helpful tip I picked up from the guys at HowToRVgeeks.com was to use car wax on the shower walls & glass. Sounds like a weird solution, but in conjunction with squeegeeing the water off after showering, it really makes it much easier to keep the shower clean... no spots and less soap scum! You have to really clean the shower first before applying the wax... but if after doing that you use a cleaner/wax, it may help remove the streaks left by the Scrubbing Bubbles.

Here's the video from HowToRVgeeks (the part about waxing comes up around the 2 minute mark):

http://howtorvgeeks.com/quick-tips/get-your-rv-shower-ready-to-roll/

Best of luck!

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I swear by Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner. You don't have to worry about rinsing it immediately. I just put it on and rinse it the next time I shower. Good Luck.

Oops! Almost forgot.......... there is also an excellent product called Nothings Better. It is a pasty powder and does an excellent job, if you get build up. You can generally find it at Ace Hardware.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely, the scrubbing bubbles has already corroded into the shower lining, and most likely nothing you can do. It might be permanently etched. As stated above, vinegar may help. I suggest in the future, just get a bottle of liquid automatic dishwasher cleaner. It's made to cut through lime (and grease), and leave your dishes "sparkling clean!"... Or is that the rinse additive? But for what it's worth, any kind of automatic dishwashing liquid with a soft scrubbie works very well on showers and shower glass. And it will not eat the plastic lining out of the shower-bath surround. And then, if you want to follow up with a mix of dishwasher rinse aid, well, your shower will be sparkley clean! No kidding though, the dishwasher soap works very well.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
You might try straight white vinegar. I use it to clean up the showers in our rentals. Works better than most commercial type cleaners.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/