cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side radiator FAN maintenance.

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
What sort of maintenance and/or inspections does a hydraulically powered side radiator fan require? This is in a 1999 American Dream I am purchasing.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
7 REPLIES 7

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
It has a Cummins 330 hp ISC
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
If your fan goes to high and stays there your fan controller has gone bad. Mine went out and I installed the wax valve extremely reliable, and more efficient than the electronic FCDA.
As stated change the hyd filters, mine have 3 filter stacked and there is an up side to the filters.
If the coolant has never been changed, something to think about. What motor do you have Cat or Cummins ?
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Bikeboy57 wrote:
Check blades for tightness
Check fan to motor for tightness
Look at blades for cracks
Unplug harness to speed regulator to ensure the fan faults to high speed
Replace fluid and filter if no records of maintenance

Along with all of the above squirt the fins of the radiator down good with simple green let it for a while then use a hose and spray from the back side of the rad outward and flush well. Please do yourself a favor and do not use a power washer on your radiator.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I would change the filter on the system.

There may be two filters for the system. On our Spartan chassis, there is a spin on filter as well as one in the reservoir itself that requires that the fluid be in the reservoir be drained at least partially to service.

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Check blades for tightness
Check fan to motor for tightness
Look at blades for cracks
Unplug harness to speed regulator to ensure the fan faults to high speed
Replace fluid and filter if no records of maintenance
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would change the filter on the system.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flush with a hose from time to time. That's about it. I use a pressure sprayer with a wide low pressure output once a year or so.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?