Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping on a folding sofa/bed

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm looking at a 2015 Winnebago View 24m. This unit has a sofa that lifts out to make a bed. It does not look very comfortable to sleep on. I think if I had it I would want to put some sort of foam topper on it. Does anyone have any ideas, hopefully from experience, about these kinds of folding beds? My back aches just looking at it. lol
Otherwise this coach has everything we are looking for.
Many thanks in advance for your feedback or comments.
Steve
24 REPLIES 24

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
It's my opinion that anything tasked to do 2 things does neither of them well and jack knife sofa is at the top of the list.

We used or for awhile, even with an extra egg carton type pad and I still found myself sleeping on one side or the other.

Finally ripped it out, made a platform bed and gained storage underneath, always handy. A 5" foam mattress is very comfortable.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy231/Calisdad3/rv2015%20050_zps2hpj84lj.jpg

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Via 25T with the twin beds/king in the rear, but the reason we would not consider any of the Sprinters with only a sofa bed or a Murphy bed is that we both go to bed and get up at different times. I walk the dog early and DW sleeps late. We were intrigued with the Murphy bed in a Solera and when we looked at one and the mattress was comfortable.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I think that a rig like a Roadtrek would be nice to have for a couple that mostly likes touring, seldom camping in the same spot for a number of days.
The downside of all compact rigs is having to constantly convert this to that and to make and unmake make beds and having little storage/cargo space/dealing with clutter.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got a memory foam topper from Amazon. It rolls up fairly tight, and we stuff it in the overhead grandchild's bed over the cab. Actually, we have two: one stuffed on each side.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked that 24M floorplan, it has a full queen sofa so foam or mattress would work, looks like a great model. We took a short maiden voyage with our 24v this weekend and it fits anywhere, parked in a friends driveway, wouldn't have done that with our old 26,000 lb unit'
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
The Winnebago 24V has a queen corner bed that works, put the one who doesn't get up at night in the back, and a dinette and the overhead bed.Our last 2 MH's were large Class A that we crossed the US several times and Alaska pulling a toad. Now we plan to do it again minus the car. We had the rest easy sofa on the last 2, I folded a towel for the center then covered with an eggshell. Guests said it was comfy but a queen air mattress would work then deflate in the am. Good Luck
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
With a 27 foot rig you can have a rear bedroom with RV queen size bed with decent mattress and zip two sleeping bags together, so you don't need to make the bed. Your spouse can stay in bed while you make coffee or one can nap while other is in dinette watching TV, etc. We tried sleeping in the overhead and on the lumpy jackknife couch in a 23 footer and later bought a 27 foot Tioga 26Q with rear bedroom/queen bed. With a longer rig you get more cargo and cabinet storage room and you get used to the extra 3 feet.

Exactly. Have the same 27' rig. Never going back to a folding couch. Not only comfort wise but now our queen bed is always made up and one of us can lay down, change, whatever, without being bothered by the other. If you have different sleeping schedules (later to bed/early riser) then not having the couch/bed in the living area may be an important consideration.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your comments, especially Medspear because you have the same model we are interested in....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
With a 27 foot rig you can have a rear bedroom with RV queen size bed with decent mattress and zip two sleeping bags together, so you don't need to make the bed. Your spouse can stay in bed while you make coffee or one can nap while other is in dinette watching TV, etc. We tried sleeping in the overhead and on the lumpy jackknife couch in a 23 footer and later bought a 27 foot Tioga 26Q with rear bedroom/queen bed. With a longer rig you get more cargo and cabinet storage room and you get used to the extra 3 feet.

I agree 100%. jack knife sofas sleep terribly, and climbing into the overhead is not for me. nor for anyone over 25 years old.
bumpy

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer

medspear
Explorer
Explorer
We love our 2015 View 24M . We had the same concerns and ended up buying a memory foam 4" topper and now the folding sofa sleeps like a cloud! We just roll it up and put it on the bed over the cab over , takes a couple of extra minutes but worth it

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our View H I used a 2" (tried 3" - too thick to roll up easily) twin bed memory foam mattress topper and pinned a "bottom sheet" to the fabric of the foam cover. Made a cowboy bedroll of sheets and light blanket to use on it. Rolled the entire thing up each morning and secured using the 2" wide straps used to secure suitcases. Stored it in the cabover bead as neither of us are up to climbing up there. We also used long under-bed plastic boxes each holding 3 20 quart smaller boxes for clothes storage in the cabover.

We also made a permanent bed/couch of the dinette with a similar bed composition that was left made up and covered by a comforter. Long round pillows were used to make the couch. A folding table to replace the dinette table fits nicely behind the J couch. We didn't invent this. It's posted on the View/Navion forum.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Our jack knife couch is what the wife sleeps on. She has back problems and a c-pack. Until we get it re-padded I bought her a futon mattress from Wally World
and she loves it. When not in use I just put on the bunk over the cab.

This mattress is about 8" thick and we cut the width to fit and sewed the removable cover to be tight. They have them starting at $79.00. Less when on sale.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my Itasca Cambria it had a 'rest easy' sofa that is made exclusively by Winnebago. It was comfy but we wanted the dinette back. Had a company called shop4seats in La Habra build us a new dinette and I have slept on it and it is nice. I have found that one of the packing blankets sold at HF did the trick along with my comforter but just to take the chill off the material.