cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SLIDE LEAK FROM HELL

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Monaco Knight quad slide.Bedroom driver side slide has big leak.
The seal to the coach seems proper. No water puddling on the top of the slide under the roll out awning. Small crack on corner of roof too small to flow the amount of water that gets in.
Carpet gets saturated under the bed and beyond the bed box.
I use my carpet cleaner to remove most the water, get at least a gallon.

The slide gear runner is somewhat rusty. This has been going on for some time, major rain major water.
Coach is at my independent RV for the second time, they can't find where the water is getting in, neither can I.
Any and all help is appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
No such thing as a crack too small. Had an inch length split in the sealant between the front cap that your couldn't fit your finger nail into. The rain water pouring out of the front cabinets would make one think there was a potable water line in there.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

marly
Explorer
Explorer
Start with someone inside and someone outside. Using a garden hose running slow, work from the bottom and slowly work up the edges. Sooner or later the inside observer will see the water entry and then you can locate the leak. DO NOT SPRAY WATER FROM THE TOP DOWN! Running water over the whole area floods the surfaces and you will never find the leak. In more than 30 years of automotive work this method has not failed me.

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped all of my life! There is no such thing as a perfect camper. I have tents, bumper pulls, 5th wheels and motorhomes! The slides are nice to open up and make room but they do come with their problems! I have a 31' 5th wheel toy hauler, now and We love it! It has a 8'x12' living room with the toys, out. I can sleep 4 grown ups comfortable or 6 kids. We sleep on a queen bed. I have no leaks so far. There will always be something to fix! That is just part of owning a camper but it is the best combo for us, so far. Love the big tanks! 126 gal fresh, 50 grey and 50 black. Enjoy your camping!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
gonesouth wrote:
the slide seal on my 98 Beaver went bad and there was water everywhere when it rained.......a close look at the seal revealed that it was torn in a number of places. I bought a rollof 6" or 8" wide neoprene from Rubber Roll Co. and replaced the whole seal. It was about a three day job, but in the end it was tight, open or closed.

I cannot find a Rubber Roll Co online with a search. Can you be more specific?

Thanks.

Sorry Jim. rubbersheetroll.com forgot the sheet in the middle!
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
On the front and rear wall near the bottom, does yours have the little plastic eaves troughs glued in place to act as drains? To the inside exterior surface, of the front and back wall, is there an Aluminum Angle iron attached to the wall. This would be located behind the rubber vertical slide seal. If so, this is not sealed to the wall. If water gets behind the slide seals either on the top or ends of the slide, it will wick between the angle and the wall and get to the bottom and the carpet. Our 01 Ambassador had the same design slide. I ran a bed of sealer between the wall and the angle and cured the situation.

Hope this may help, Happy trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
gonesouth wrote:
the slide seal on my 98 Beaver went bad and there was water everywhere when it rained.......a close look at the seal revealed that it was torn in a number of places. I bought a rollof 6" or 8" wide neoprene from Rubber Roll Co. and replaced the whole seal. It was about a three day job, but in the end it was tight, open or closed.

I cannot find a Rubber Roll Co online with a search. Can you be more specific?

Thanks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
If you have little bedroom windows in that slide remove them and check to see if water has been leaking there. It is a known problem and when I re-did our window seals on our 06 Monaco Knight it fixed a leak that was driving me nuts!

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
we had a problem with a leak on the outside bottom of the slide. look at the end of the slide where the vertical end of the slide meets the horizontal floor of the slide. Ours was coming apart there. once we resealed that seam, the leaking stopped.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You can build your own pressure tester based on your situation. It's just a leaf blower (electric) grey taped to a sealed form that forces air under pressure into a room. Like into your bedroom. Then someone on the roof has some water with a little soap in it and pours it around the roof looking for bubbles.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had that same problem, Side seals looked fantastic (And in fact were)

Took a look under the slide topper.

Top seal wiper was NOT contacting roof of slide out. Water wold enter under the seal, and then run down teh sides INSIDE the slide out.

Fixed the seal (Built up the roof using foam rubber tape till contact was made in this case) has not leaked since.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco had a problem for awhile where the roof/slide topper junctions would leak. Very hard to find and nail down. Look for rusty screws or rivets in the runner. Just a thought. From what I've read this seems to have been more of a problem over the driver's window and passenger door.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the water is coming down behind the sweep and flowing into the bedroom. I found water running down behind the sweep of my slideout and soaking the carpet. I sealed the topper with some water repellent spray, problem went away.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Get a dealer to perform a "pressure test" if you want to be sure where your problem is.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab