cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Class C Help

Sailscalls
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering a "C" 24' to 28' I like the layout of a Phoenix Cruiser 2252 (I know this is a B+) with the rear bath and twin beds. I also like the layout of Coachmen 26QB or 260QB. I haven't seen either of these two layouts in person but like the looks on their websites. Does any of the Class C manufactures offer either above mention layout?

I started out wanting a small rig 22' to 24' for fishing, but some folks on this site got me to thinking that I need a walk around bed for easy entry and exit. Does anyone have any other suggestions on layouts?

It seems to me Winnebago, Forest River Sunseeker, are high quality units am I correct? What other manufactures are considered high quality, is Holiday Rambler one? I assume Thor Four Winds, Coachmen, are not as we'll built? I use to own a Coachmen Class A years ago. We enjoyed the unit but it rattle unbelievable loud. Of course the unit was several years older when we acquired it. Where does manufactures like Jayco, Fleetwood fit in on quality?

When you consider a better quality does that mean better wood in cabinets,high quality materials used with better installation technics to assure longer life and quieter ride.

All input is really appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sold on a fiberglass roof, I will never purchase another RV with a rubber roof. Regards, Dick

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said before, most Class C's are built on Ford E-450 chassis and have the same brands and models of appliances, air conditioners and generators etc., installed. Major differences are in how the housebox is constructed including choice of materials, fastening techniques, quality control and promptness and quality of dealer fixes, under warranty, after you take delivery. Most RV lines have entry level/economy models and higher end models. You will pay over $10K more for Lazy Daze, etc., but it will have higher resale value if kept in good condition. We have been satisfied with our Fleetwood Tioga 26Q since we bought it new in 2004, so far no leaks with EDPM roof, had to replace fridge and roof AC unit a couple of years ago, exterior graphics have suffered sun damage. Expect housebox item repairs/replacements after 8+ years with any brand, tires need replacement every 4-6 years due to sidewall cracking and damage from sitting undriven.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The only ones that I know of making something similar to the PC 2552, meaning twin beds in the middle are Lazy Daze and possibly Born Free. All three of those brands are high end.

Are you camping solo, or with company? If it's just you, I don't see why a corner bed would be any problem at all. Or also the overhead bed if there is one, assuming you can climb up and down to use it. If you can use an OH bed, that really lets you go gain space on the main floor.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I started looking for a shorter RV (22') and like you came to the conclusion that the wife and I would need a longer RV. We wanted a bed that we did not have to climb up to for us. We wanted a high CCC weight (dog shows for her, dry camping for me). We wound up with a Lazy Daze mid bath. The two couches can be pulled together for a king size bed, but we generally leave a isle in the middle so we do not need to climb over each other in the night. If we are camping with a group of friends and need to we put the beds away and have an extra living room to have people over if it is real hot or the weather is to ugly to be outside.

As for you questions about quality. I look not only at the cabinets but more to the general construction for the house part of the rv, materials used, and the overall reputation of the manufacture has for long term durability when well cared for. Ron Dittmer has a very good entry that he posts often about roof construction.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure others with more "experience" will chime in, but our experience was...
We looked on line for an upper-grade class "B+". No dealers in our area, so we studied the on-line info for each manufacturer. Looked at the following..
Forest River Lexington
Jayco Melbourne
Phoenix Cruiser
Winnebago Aspect
Coachman Concord
Itasca Cambria
Nexus
Picked out a size and floorplan that we wanted (almost all will have the same basic floorplan in the same size), and started looking at dealers and the RV Trader to get an idea of what was out there and prices. We wanted a one - two year old unit to save the beating on deperication.
Then I looked up "owners forums" for each of the brand's. Each have their own following. Found that each has it's good and bad as far as quality, even in the mid and upper model's. Found that each had it's "horror stories" as far as missing screw's/nuts/bolts, improper electrical connections, improperly made water connections, ect ect. Found this within all the brands. Mind you, not all units were like this, but it only takes one out twenty to give it a bad rep.
As for what makes an "upper level" different...its the upgrades done at the factory, quality of the materials used (like going from sheet flooring to wood, plastic sinks to stainless steel, off brand tv's to name brands, ect).
A lot depends on what you cand do/fix/repair yourself. The chassies can be taken care of by your local Ford/Chevy dealer. But the "home" is probably going to be your problem unless you live around the corner from your RV dealer. Nearest on to me is 90 miles away, so I fix/modify on my own. I'm new to motorhomes after trailering for many years, and a forum like this one is invaluable. Lot of tips/ help from people who've been RV'ing for a long time.
Just try to narrow down what your looking for, set a year range, and study study study what's available. There are some really good deals out there if you look. We found a Forest River 283ts, 2012, with only 1510 miles on it, used one time. Owners didn't like it. We were the first to answer his listing and got it for a super low price, much less than any dealer was asking for a similar unit.
When you find something you like, go over it like your buying a house. Go over it top-bottom and ask a lot of questions from the owner/dealer. Most private owners know a lot more about their units than the dealers sales people do. Sales people know a little about a lot of brands/styles/models/ their trying to sell. A private owner knows his one n only rv.
Grumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you missed leisure travel van, they make a great rv. leisurevans.com ours is the freedom serenity II just love it.