cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soon to be full timers but a question re: 6 speed gassers

FREEWHEELINIT1
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I are about to embark on a one year (possibly longer) full time RV trek and have a question regarding class A's. Prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase after the 1st of the year, curious if anyone has driven or own the newer Ford V10 with the 6 speed tranny. And if you did, is it a significant enough improvement over the 5 speed performance? We will be flat towing a 3,000 lb car. Love the floor plans of the newer class A gassers with the L shaped sofa and disappointed that the 2013-2015 pre-owned class A entry level DP's we've looked at don't have what we love in layouts. About a 150k max budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
21 REPLIES 21

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I think you'll find the transmission discussed in that link isn't the current 6 speed transmission they are using today. That was the old 5R110W, used up until 2015. The new ones are using the TorqShift 6 speed, released in 2016.

Sorry, I didn't know there was more than one type of 6 speed used by Ford. I don't guess I know what year the OP is looking at so I suppose it could be either of the two 6 speed transmissions.

Having said that, I have a 2007 F-53 (actually a 2006 chassis). It has the 5 speed and I've been dragging my 5K Jeep toad all over the country. Up and down many of the passes out west and long 6-7 percent grades with a few short steeper grades thrown in. I haven't had the first problem going up or down and the 5 speed has been fantastic. I imagine a 6 would be better but the 5 has performed just fine. I doubt I'd make a purchase decision based only on the transmission type.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
The Thor Palazzo is a DP that should come in at your top end budget. We really liked the 33.2 floor plan and would consider if I were to take the diesel plunge. FYI we do have a v10 has set with the 5 speed, towing a CRV and it is a great tranny and light years ahead of the old 4 speed 4R100.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 6R140 transmission is a BEAST ! It is waht is used in the F650/750 so you know it is strong.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I can say that our 2016 w/6 speed transmission is a good one. Then I will tell you that based on my past experience with a Ford P?U and after reading many reviews and posts , I bought a 5 Star tune and there is a very pleasant difference in the shifting and manners of this unit. I had seen many good reviews on this for the 5 speed traany as well. I paid $499 for the tune and I feel it is worth it. I tow just under 4,000 lbs. Happy hunting
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Bruce_Brown
^^^ I think you'll find the transmission discussed in that link isn't the current 6 speed transmission they are using today. That was the old 5R110W, used up until 2015. The new ones are using the TorqShift 6 speed, released in 2016.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
For me it would depend on the amount of miles I was planning on driving. Especially if there were a big price difference.

I REALLY like the new 6-speed F53 set-up. Had a 5speed in a class C and the new 6-speed is a noticeable improvement.

If you aren't putting on a lot of miles and staying put for most of the time, it shouldn't matter as much, if really travelling throughout the year, yeah, that 6-speed may be worth it.

Good luck!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has some good information about the differences between the 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions. Pay particular attention to posts #1, 7, 14 and 19. They indicate that the 6 speed transmission actually only uses 5 of the gear ratios. Which 5 are used is based on operating temperature.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/does-ford-reprogram-transmission-364296.html
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU