cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stairs on new Class A stuck

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been having an issue with the auto-stairs on our new Class A. A few weeks ago, I took my motorhome to the dealer to get some warranty work done. When I arrived at the dealership, the stairs wouldn't extend. They worked fine when I got into the motorhome to drive to the dealership.

A few days later I picked up the motorhome and the tech told me that this is a common problem with these stairs as the motor will sometimes seize up. He told me that more than likely it would happen again and if it did, to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the motor and to tap on the motor to un-seize it. The last 2 trips we have taken the stairs have operated fine.

Last night I went to my storage garage to get something out of the motorhome. When I closed the door, it didn't close completely and I opened the door again before the stairs had fully retracted. Now the stairs are stuck and they are only retracted about 80%. Opening and closing the door does not activate the stairs.

Besides the advice the tech gave me about loosening the bolts and tapping on the motor, does anyone else have any tips or advice on how to fix this issue?

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
24 REPLIES 24

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
drwwicks wrote:
If the steps are retracting most of the way it's not the door magnet or switch. Likely a binding mechanism. Try lubing with a spray lithium lubricant and see if that helps.

The steps move freely and they were just recently lubed with white lithium. Not sure what the issue is but now the dealership can deal with it.

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
If the steps are retracting most of the way it's not the door magnet or switch. Likely a binding mechanism. Try lubing with a spray lithium lubricant and see if that helps.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chum lee wrote:
Keep in mind, . . . the more YOU "****" (swear word deleted) with the steps, the more physical evidence there is that someone has been "****ing" with them. Now, when you eventually bring the vehicle in for warranty repairs, the warranty repair facility has a good case that, . . . . . . . . someone else (YOU) damaged the steps by "****ing" with them! They refuse warranty repairs on the basis that it's not a manufacturing defect in labor or materials since the damage was clearly caused by others. It happens all the time! Be smart. Don't let it happen to you.

Chum lee (a lawyer in a previous life)

I only did what the dealer told me to do. I spoke with the tech about this issue. They told me to tap on the motor to see if that would fix. I have already talked to them and I will be bring it back soon. No physical evidence as I used a rubber mallet to tap on the motor. No worries my friend.

Burch

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, . . . the more YOU "****" (swear word deleted) with the steps, the more physical evidence there is that someone has been "****ing" with them. Now, when you eventually bring the vehicle in for warranty repairs, the warranty repair facility has a good case that, . . . . . . . . someone else (YOU) damaged the steps by "****ing" with them! They refuse warranty repairs on the basis that it's not a manufacturing defect in labor or materials since the damage was clearly caused by others. It happens all the time! Be smart. Don't let it happen to you.

Chum lee (a lawyer in a previous life)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I wasn't able to get the stairs working. I whacked on the motor with a rubber mallet several times but no go. The stairs are about 80-90% retracted. They only stick out about an inch. There is enough slack to pull the stairs up to the fully retracted position.

What was interesting is my wife was playing with the stair switch inside the motor home. She turned it on and off several times and then closed the door and opened it. The stairs came out! But when she closed the door, the stairs retracted back to the 80-90% retracted position and wouldn't come out again. I will take some large zip ties and secure the stairs in the fully retracted position so I can drive. I have a trip scheduled next weekend so I will take a portable step with us and then back to the dealership.

Burch

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
some of them do that.. some more often than others.

usually if you take a hammer and whack it, it will work again... until next time.

ive had 3 units over the years with power steps, and 2 of them had issues that could not be resolved without being whacked with a mallot...

maybe its something within the motors, which I never replaced, but its not due to misalignment as all linkage was always loose and free to move.
and when testing with an electrical tester, all circuits were found to be working correctly, with a good ground.

the motors are pretty dependable and Ive never heard of one burning out, but I have shown others the mallot trick on their units....

this is not always the trick, but when its not a fuse or switch failure, this almost always works.

if the unit is under warranty, let someone else try to figure out why it happens.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I agree with Doug, listen to him, he is a professional and he has ethics.

Second, Kwikee is no longer Kwikee, they have changed hands twice.

Third, even Kwikee had gone from window lift motors to motors spected out to their products, and I don't think that they were buying seconds.

To re-iterate the comment of others, there is something wrong and you need a referral to a competent repairman that can do warranty work. You should not have to pay for the work or do it yourself.

Kwikee is Kwikee. They are just owned by LCI. But their name stays. This motor problem predates LCI's ownership. Since Kwikee is about the ONLY electric step supplier for motorhomes, they will have more chances to have a failure of parts. The good news is, once I have replaced the bad motor, the problem does not return. I have yet to have a customer return for a failed 2nd motor. Doug

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Doug, listen to him, he is a professional and he has ethics.

Second, Kwikee is no longer Kwikee, they have changed hands twice.

Third, even Kwikee had gone from window lift motors to motors spected out to their products, and I don't think that they were buying seconds.

To re-iterate the comment of others, there is something wrong and you need a referral to a competent repairman that can do warranty work. You should not have to pay for the work or do it yourself.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. You did not have a Technician working on your RV. You had a Parts Changer with no knowledge of RV's
2. For ANY Technician or Service Center on a new RV to NOT fix a problem and to tell the customer to "tap" on the motor is a place I would NOT allow to work on my RV
3. Yes, it is common for Kwikee step motors(EVEN LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD) to stick and by tapping them they will then work. The Armature has a dead spot.
4. YOU REPLACE THE STEP MOTOR, NO OTHER FIX WILL WORK. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To retract the steps.
Step one, Using the HANDLE or a hammer (hold the head in your hand) bang on the motor a rew times, you just want to shake it up, not break it.

Then get out from under and open the door You may need 2 or 3 tries.

If this does not work, Pull the pin that connects the arm to the step lever and put it in a pill bottle or small tupper ware container or spice jar,, Store inside RF, use bungee cord to hold the steps in the "Retrated" position.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
This is off topic but any capable 19th Century engineer could've built an easy to use manual system with a handle easily accessible from both inside and outside the coach. These electric steps are a false luxury.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Oil the pivot points and run a separate ground jumper. That cured the problem on mine.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Assume 'new' means recently produced. If so, steps just don't do that sometimes unless something is wrong.

Check the ground wires for the controller. There are two, one goes to the chassis and one goes to the steps. On my coach the one to the steps was loose and the steps would not work. The problem with the one to the steps was that they attached the wire to one of the screws that attaches the control unit to the steps. The wire was on top of the plastic case of the control unit and could not be securely tightened. I moved the wire beside the control unit and attached it directly to the steps.

pete
2000 40' Country Coach Magna

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
I have had to replace the motor on my '16 coach as well.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country