cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stand Alone Map Program

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
For 14 years I have been navigating our MH using a dedicated Windows Computer with a continuous display, and Delorme Street Atlas. I'm tired of Delorme, it hasn't improved significantly since 2000. Is there an Apple Map program that will run without WIFI or cell connections. I love the Map program in my I-phone and Ipad.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty
12 REPLIES 12

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
mike brez wrote:
He stated he wanted something that did not need wifi or cell connection.
Can WAZE do that?

Google Maps CAN.

WAZE downloads the upcoming route to some degree so you would have to be in an area with no cell signal for an extended period of time. If you are that far out in the boonies for that long you likely already know the roads you plan to travel so a small gap wouldn't make an difference anyway.

The addition of live traffic information during the other 99.9 percent of your travels makes it all worthwhile.

Bill,
It is obvious that you don't go the places we go. I have a 3 watt high gain repeater for my smart phone. Last year we were out of useable cell data coverage for two days and about six hundred miles. We did have voice coverage a 1X data some of that time, but 1X is almost good for E-mail and not much else. I couldn't even pull weather radar though that knothole.

Waze may be good for traffic and routing in megopolis, but in the hinterlands, it gets lost fast. I can't even imagine it is worth if you have just the smartphone.

I have never been able to download Google maps for enough to do me any good.

SA is gone. I have not had an opportunity to work with PilotRV. I hope it can tell me where to look for fuel and a ONP. Crampgrounds are also rare where we travel and I'm not going 40 miles out of the way for a flat place and services I don't need.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
CoPiolet is an excellent off line product. It takes a little getting use you as some things like naming your map isn't very intuitive. But once you get it, it sets up well. The RV version is $49 bucks and allows you to put in the weight, height, length etc of your coach. It also allows you to personalize it which is a nice feature.

WAZE to me is a ba-humbug! It's way too intrusive the way it shows you to other drivers and visa versa, and tracks you even when you're not using it. It says you can turn that feature off but you really can't without going into your systems folder and physically turning it off. And it re-routes based on what the folks are saying ahead. That may be great for a car, but not worth a darn for a big hunking motorhome!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I use WAZE as a GPS. You can't map with it but it updates ever second that someone enters a "vehicle stopped on road" or "police". I bluetooth it to the stereo.

Can WAZE do that.

Google Maps CAN. WAZE downloads the upcoming route to some degree so you would have to be in an area with no cell signal for an extended period of time. If you are that far out in the boonies for that long you likely already know the roads you plan to travel so a small gap wouldn't make an difference anyway. The addition of live traffic information during the other 99.9 percent of your travels makes it all worthwhile.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I also have used DeLorme SA for over 10 years. I still use the 2013 version. However, I believe they have discontinued the SA product. I now use CoPilot on my Samsung tablet for the past year and find it very good. The maps are up to date (unlike DeLorme) and so far has not led me astray. Trip planning on CoPilot is a bit quirky, but ok once you do it a few times. I also like the RV option.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I use WAZE as a GPS. You can't map with it but it updates ever second that someone enters a "vehicle stopped on road" or "police". I bluetooth it to the stereo.

Can WAZE do that.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Microsoft Mappoint or Streets were great programs but won't operate on new operating systems and have been discontinued with no replacement. These were awesome planners. I still have an old computer with Mappoint. This is the only reason I keep it.
Wish they would bring it back.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps works just fine without a data or cell connection as long as you download the maps before the trip. I just recently noticed that Maps did this automatically when I planned a short trip and a note popped up that about the download having been done to speed up routing information.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
Co-Pilot for navigationn on a tablet, trip planning is another problem, that was Delormes strong point, for looking at alternate routes and planning stops, doing it your way not most effficient routes like google. I find AllStays "Camp and RV" and "Truck and Travel" good for looking at end of day and fuel stop areas. A little old school the "Next EXIT" book is good for the copilot.
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
You are most likely running Google maps on the
Iphone with cell. You can download Google maps to the Ipad and use it with out Cell or Wifi, stand alone.
You will be down loading map areas and up dating is when you want to.
You will need GPS on whatever map you use.

LEN

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Copilot RV.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jarviswin
Explorer
Explorer
Co-pilot is a good stand alone. I believe the cost is $20 for lifetime. It downloads to your laptop/tablet/etc and does not use the internet except for updates.
2006 Allegro 32B
2008 Honda Civic (Toad)
2009 V Star 1300