cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting/fuel pump questions

regkeg
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1991 30' Fleetwood Southwind with 460 Ford engine. I put a new fuel pump in it about 700 miles back. I haven't driven it this summer but I did start it early this spring and ran it long enough to get the engine well warmed up.

I went out a couple of days ago to start it and it will turn over great but never starts. I tried starting the generator, which gets fuel from the same tank, and it started and ran fine. I thought the fuel filter might be the problem but when I pulled the lines off of the fuel filter there was no fuel in the line from the tank. I went ahead and changed the filter and started checking.

I've read quite a bit on the net about fuel pump relays and their locations but every place that somebody says it should be on my coach, there is no relay/s there.

Does anybody know where the relay for the fuel pump is on this coach or is this one of those things where they changed something mid year? My batteries are fully charged and everything works except for the above listed problem.

Should the fuel pump run until it builds up pressure when you turn the key on? I listen when the key is turned on but I never hear the fuel pump run. I've checked the fuse panel under the dash as well as the fuse/relay/breaker panel under the hood. The fuel cutoff switch under the dash by the steering column is down and not tripped.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I really need to get the old gal on the road.
Dick and Kathy
Quigley the co-pilot beagle
1991 Fleetwood Southwind 460 Ford
Toad-2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain and Even Brake
5 REPLIES 5

regkeg
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine is a long time Kenworth mechanic. He bought the pump and did the work. Tested the relay connection last night and the contact that should be hot all the time has no power to it. The relays pick up but with no voltage available the pump can never run. Now I need to tack down the source of that supplied voltage.
Dick and Kathy

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious where you bought the pump?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

regkeg
Explorer
Explorer
Found the relays. Replaced the ECC and fuel pump relay. Turn switch on and both relays pick up but no fuel is pumped to fuel filter. Now I need to find where the power comes from. What I've found online says the power feed comes off the starter relay through fuseable links.

Anybody know where those links are on this coach?
Dick and Kathy

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel pump will only run approximately 1-3 seconds when the key is turned on, when the key is turned to crank, the fuel pump will run the entire time you crank the engine. Once the engine starts, the fuel pump will continue to run. Cycle the key several times off to on before cranking.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run power directly to the fuel pump, If it starts and runs look for relay, If not maybe bad fuel pump, Ford had a lot of problems with original and replacement pumps those years.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.