cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The on going saga of maintaining an 18 year old coach

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
After our return from Alaska we started to notice a fuel spot under the coach. I climb under and see we have a cracked fuel tank and it is leaking about a drop every 5 minutes (yes it is a little crack) I call Spartan and talk to their service rep. We decide to replace the tank rather than weld.
So I order one, it's a 150 gallon tank, and will require 4-6 weeks to manufacture a new one, So we wait.
In the mean time I down load the 120 gallons of Diesel. into 15 gallon barrels by using an old marine fuel transfer pump run from my drill press, worked great I had the fuel out in about 30 minutes.
Then we waited, and made arrangements with the local oil well that has a drive over pit. to drop the tank, and replace it with the new one.
New tank arrives, I pump 55 gallons of fuel back into the coach, then I deliver it to the oil well, drive the coach over the pit, every body gets under the coach, nd the head mechanic says "Oh Hell no" that tank weighs most of 300 pounds we have no heavy lift equipment find some one else.
I load up and come home.
I make a few calls and find that "Motortrucks" in Everett Wa can do the job, we wait the three weeks for the appointment date.
9 oct comes and we arrive at their facility (nice place) at 07:00 and they take us right in. 6.5 hours later the old tank is out, the new tank is in. they try to prime the lines from the tank to the engine and can not get any flow thru the line. we discuss the next step and every one agrees the line is crimped by the tank, so it must come back out.
They lend me a loaner car and I come home (2 hour drive). Next day 10/10/17 we get the call, come get your coach, we found the problem, fixed it, and the coach is running great both the gen/set and the big cummins.
I drive down to pay the bill and get your coach, they capped the cost at the 6.5 hours plus materials. so they did the second and drop at no cost to me. and disposed of the old tank.
So... I'd highly recommend Motortrucks for any service you need in Puget Sound area.

To add, we found that the tank vent hose was crimped in manufacture, (18 years ago) and caused the tank to flex when the fuel is removed during driving then allowed to expand when filled. causing the tank to crack. it took 18 years to fail. now we have two vented caps, and a free vent line. should be good to go now for another 18 years at least.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
7 REPLIES 7

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Be sure to post your review of the facility on RVSERVICEREVIEWS.com

LINK

Done !

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure to post your review of the facility on RVSERVICEREVIEWS.com

LINK
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
I researched big diesel tanks several years ago and found there's several patching methods that don't require removing the tank...depending on location of crack or hole.

So I'm wondering, why not patch it?

I simply don't trust repaired tanks.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I researched big diesel tanks several years ago and found there's several patching methods that don't require removing the tank...depending on location of crack or hole.

So I'm wondering, why not patch it?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Give us an update in 18 years and let us know how the new tank is holding up. ๐Ÿ™‚

You may want to post your experience on RV Service Reviews

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad for your happy ending. This hobby does entail some work and frustration at times, but the adventures are well worth it. Otherwise, we'd be on the sofa all day.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.