Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of a pusher

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Not new here but it has been a while since my last post and most likely in another category.

Any, wife and I are thinking of a Class A. We are looking at gas but I have since found that used pushers are running pretty close price wise with a used gas in similar size mileage and year.

I love the Winnebago line for their quality but mostly for the roof system. One piece fiberglass. My question is what other brands are using the same roofing system?

Also, what brands are the "stay away from" brands?

We are looking for long distance travel, horse power and of course longer periods staying in the coach.

Thanks for your attention.

Carl
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C
20 REPLIES 20

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
A well cared for Beaver, or Monaco will also have a fiberglass roof.

it is more important to have a well constructed roof than what it was made from, and be certain it has not been damaged and poorly repaired
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Bruce_Brown
Actually Winnie wouldn't be on my list to consider due to their roof design. Their method of attachment and required maintenance - and what potentially happens if there is a breakdown in the required maintenance, is something that would have me looking elsewhere. Please feel free to do a search and see if it's something you're OK with. Many are.

With that said, I also wouldn't get too hung up on needing to be a "one piece fiberglass roof". Just because it's fiberglass doesn't mean it's quality. Some of the fiberglass that is installed is virtually paper thin. Keep in mind, fiberglass also breaks down over time, and the thinner it is the faster it breaks down.

Our MH has a BriteTek roof. This is our 3rd one with BriteTek, I would order another without hesitation. When we ordered our current MH a one piece fiberglass roof was available, based on our prior experience with BriteTek we chose it over fiberglass. BriteTek is NOT a rubber roof, it is a synthetic membrane. Newmar uses the BriteTek brand, many others simply call theirs a TPO roof. There are differences between TPOs as well.

We've had rubber as well, on both a MH and TT. I would not consider anything with a true EPDM rubber roof.

As far as the MH itself, most us a laminate construction, a few use hung wall. If it is laminated it can delaminate. Hung wall can't. Those using hung wall are Monaco/Holiday Rambler, Newmar, and Travel Supreme/Entegra. We have owned a delaminating MH and I have worked on delaminating motorhomes and TTs. Unless you're getting into a true bus builder, for my money I will pick hung wall construction every time.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
All current Tiffins have fiberglass roofs. Some current Newmars have fiberglass roofs and others have a sort of rubber roof called Brite Tek or something like that.

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
There are some great bargains in used, well cared for diesel pushers. I'll second what Trainer said and suggest Newmar and Tiffin among others. We just bought a gently used 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and couldn't be more pleased.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
You can look at Newmar and Tiffins as examples of well built, well appointed class A's There is a lot of difference in DP VS Gas and also a considerable price difference. I do not know which brand comparisons you are making but I have not found Dps in the same year window to be priced near Class A gas coaches.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
While a one piece fiberglass roof would be on my must haves not to sure about the Winnebago design.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU