cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire changing on Class C

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have just discovered a bad tire on my Class C. Naturally it is the inside rear on the driver's side. Looks like it is separating as there is a knot on the sidewall and a lot of vibration when driving down the road. I have a few questions.

First of all is there a video or post with pictures that will show me how to remove the back wheels. I have searched in vain so far. Also, does it make sense to replace just the bad tire. The others have very few miles on them but they are five years old. I really hate to shell out the money for a full set right now. Any information or suggestions on removing the wheels would be appreciated. I know I am going to need to buy a bottle jack but I need one anyway. I have not called around to see what tire stores may charge for this service.
19 REPLIES 19

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh! an E450.

Jack just inside of the shock mount leaving room between the jack and tires for a jack stand:

Tire recall/replacement project pics
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need more info:
Chassis: (ford, Chev, Dodge/Mercedes, etc)
Model: (e350, 3500, etc)
Year:
Tire Size: (16", 19.5, etc)

If you have a ford chassis, then chances are you have 16" tires/wheels. The torque is 145 ft/lbs. No problem for a 1/2 drive breaker bar and extension.

If you have the Chevy or Sprinter chassis, you probably still have 16" tires, but I don't know the torque values off hand.

You'll need a bottle jack and a jack stand, and a stable surface.

Jack it up to where the tires are still touching the ground, then loosen the lug nuts one at a time & gently re-snug them.
Raise the tires off the ground, put a jack stand under the axle, then lower the axle onto the jackstand.
Remove the tires/wheels.

That all said, I'd take it in to a shop & have them take care of it. You'll pay the same amount to get the tire(s) replaced whether you pull the tires or they do it.

A previous poster suggested rotating a front tire to the rear and replacing the fronts - that's a good low-cost method to take care of the short-term issue. However, if one tire went bad, the others _may_ not be far behind. Yet, they might run another few years/thousands of miles.

Some folks "peace of mind" will say replace 'em all now, but it is purely up to you.

Help that hopes!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
The tires are LT 225 75 16. This is the Ford E450 chassis on a 31 ft Jayco class c. I am sure I can get the lug nuts off but don't know where to place the jack and whether the wheels use the same set of lug nuts etc

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Inspect all the tires. Locate the date code. Odds are that the tires may all need to be replaced.
What size are the tires?
What is make and model of the chassis? Chevs, you remove the lug nuts and all the wheels at that location come off at once.
I would suggest having a tire shop handle the changing.
Check around for your tire sizes at different dealers for best price and tire quality.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doubt a 1/2" drive and long extension is going to loose the lug bolts. Try that first but you probably will need a 3/4" drive. If you do not have the right tools, then take it to a tire place.
Most will say you need to replace all four rear tires... probably correct, but if the front are the same size I'd replace them with new and put one of the fronts on the rear and carry the other as a spare which you may need.
The cost to change a 19.5 tire should be $20 in GA.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...