cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Awn or Not to Awn?

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Buying our first RV. A mechanical awning can be added for $1300 + 12% BC Tax. Our unit is relatively small so we think it would be a good idea but for $1300 we feel its too much of a luxury at this point, early days etc. Do people use their awnings that much? Is there a place in the North West where we could fit one cheaper?

Thanks

Pommy
37 REPLIES 37

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a Nascar awning on our previous Pace Arrow that was manual we never used. Now that we have the electric one it gets used a lot more. Our MH is our hotel when we travel and we don't sit around under the tent but it does keep the side dry when we want to get in our out. The wind sensor will retract it automatically if it gets breezy while we are away. We have awnings on all of the windows that do a great job of keeping things cooler inside in sunny weather. The awning rod is one of the handiest things on the RV for reaching things underneath the MH.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
I use mine relatively often...usually for rain. In fact it gets used more than my AC. Some folks never use theirs and some RVs have them as options for that very reason. Who wants to pay for an awning if you know you won't use it? I know of at least one person that removed theirs.

Here is what my electric looks like deployed. It often goes out and in multiple times a day.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We wouldn't be without and awning. Better yet an automatic awning.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hardest awning I know of is the "Box" awning we have. This because the poles are stored inside the box instead of in a "Stored-On-The-Wall" ready to use of the other designs. The box awning also is best setup by a taller person.

I like our box awning because it is very clean looking when stored, nice clean exterior walls. I tolerate the setup inconvenience. It's not for daily up/down usage.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
pommyg wrote:
How difficult is a manual awning to operate? I suppose its different per awning?

Short folks are not going have as easy time of it as tall. There is some reaching involved..different things on different models. There is a metal rod with a hook on one end...they all have this...and some awnings you have to reach up and unlock a gizmo on the far right of the assembly. Then, no matter what kind, ya gotta find the cloth hook in the middle of roll, where it has rolled up close to the body of the RV...sometimes you need to hook that rod onto an upper corner and kinda pull it out a bit, in order to see the hook, and then you set the hook into the cloth bit, then you can pull the whole shebang out...then you have to perform some other mechanical moves....it's 'easy' but, it's a trip if you aren't paying attention. Things can go a bit sdeways and a shorter person is in for some cussin.

A person has to be shown this all..and practise it a bit, so that when take down is a RFN event...you can do it.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
pommyg wrote:
How difficult is a manual awning to operate? I suppose its different per awning?

Not very my wife has been doing them for years and once in a while I get to do it. It takes about 3 or 4 min going eather way. And once you learn how its doing the same thing each time..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we park heading north for the 6 months we are in Casa Grande az so the awning stays up because we get shade soon after noon. This means we have a no wind problem.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
We use our awning quite often, but because of the wind in CO and WY, we're very careful about when we put it out, and never leave it deployed unattended. Hence, the motorized awning on our 5th wheel gets a lot more use than our old manual one on our Class C did.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
We have an awning, and only use it when it is raining. there is probably only a hour or so a day where an awning would provide shade.
Dean & Melinda
2011 29' Monaco Montclaire
2012 Ford Focus Toad

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
We use our awning from time to time. Much of our camping is under trees so not often needed. Also we seem to have lots of wind.. Think we have used it 5 times the last 4 years but do open it often to clean while parked here at home. Has to be cleaned if you use it or not.. But I would not be with out one. But because its so small ,ours only 14 foot, doing it by hand and not automatic is fine.

Yes, I would get one but if you are not happy with their price shop around and look for a better price.. I did and picked up a rebuilt manual one with new material and installed for $550. I really do not mind using it for short times if needed but it seldom is..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pommyg - A big difference between those that use their awning and those that do not is how do you plan on using your RV. If you drive to a location and setup in a campground for several days, chances are an awning would be nice. If you drive all over the country doing sightseeing and rarely camp in the same place more than one day, then you probably do not need an awning.

We travel a lot in our RV and use it as a portable bedroom. Have only extended our awning twice in 11 years. Takes more time to break camp and wind is your enemy. Being camped is not the only time the awning can be ripped off your RV, but traveling down the highway in strong wind can also unfurl the awning.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
pommyg wrote:
Wow. I wasnt expecting 2+pages of responses.

It is an ex rental and that is why there is no awning. After I expressed some disinterest at $1300 the sales guy came back at $1100 but for an 11foot awning fitted plus 12% bc taxes. Everything seems cheaper in the states and since our plan is to go to Washington/Oregon next week we might get one fitted there instead, on the the "grass is greener, or at least less expensive on the other side of the border" principle.

Good plan.:)

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
Our awning broke recently and a few days without it convinced me I missed it.

To each his/her own but if I have a choice I'm always choosing awning. I felt exposed, for lack of a better word, without it. We just have a good old fashioned manual awning. Putting it out and laying down the patio mat says "we're home (away from home)."

Your mileage may vary 🙂