Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad Brake laws

getgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all....

So we have the class A and the Subaru stick shift, now it's time to set the two up. I got a hold of friends in CO, I'm in CA, they tow a Subaru like mine. CO law does not require a brake system on the Subaru! Is there a site that covers this? Seems if any state would require toad brakes it would be CO...with the Rockies and all. The Subaru weighs 3160 lbs.

Any info here would be appreciated.

Thanks much
Mike
Mikestatland@gmail.com
31 REPLIES 31

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with most posters here that the majority of the "information" not surprisingly comes from manufacturers selling tow brakes. The NSA map below - as an example - shows that to be 3k lb in MD. Now I live in MD and there is no law requiring brakes towing a car, what we do have is laws for trailers. But a car is not a trailer as defined in the MD law. So it's not only misleading, it's wrong with respect to towing a car. (Mine is an NSA by the way and a very good product) Also as others stated, very few local LEO's are going to know the towing law and be able to properly cite you for it. As far as the doom and gloom crowd that claim you will be sued for everything you and your future generations own if you are in an accident without a braking system, it's a lot of conjecture and I can't say I've ever seen any evidence to support a decision in a case based on the lack of a tow braking system. I've asked several times from those that claim this and to date, nothing. Not saying it doesn't happen, but at least not as a default judgment as some might scare you into believing. All that said, I wouldn't tow another vehicle without a braking system. I mean, why not? For the small cost (compared to the car or your MH) and time it takes to hook it up, it's a no brainer. They help a good bit with slowing the vehicle down and it's just plain safer to have it. If something is worth doing (like towing a car) then it's worth doing it right.
2013 ACE 29.2

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Get a supplemental braking system for all of those around you safety!!! SMI makes a very good system, everyone has their favorite. There are lots of arguments for and against so get ready.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Most states have a Braking Performance Law. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards have a braking performance law. Usually, the requirements are identical. Sometimes the state will allow 5 feet farther stopping distance.
I have been researching this issue for over 15 years, and I have found ONE state that specifically addresses braking on a towed vehicle. That is North Carolina (GS 20-124).
Here in Montana the Braking Performance Law is MCA 61-9-312. There is no other legal requirement for brakes on a towed vehicle, including breakaway brakes.
In Colorado, a quick google search reveals 8 CCR 1507-18. However, it appears that this law only applies to trailers with surge brakes. Colorado also has a law which defines exactly what a "trailer" is. I did not look at that definition.
For those who are concerned about "emergency situations", where a dog or kid or vehicle dashes in front of you, keep in mind that at 60 MPH you will travel nearly 200 feet before your foot hits the brake pedal! Brakes on the towed vehicle or not, it is unlikely that you will be able to stop in time to avoid an accident. Good situational awareness is definitely required!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
One thing to think about. If you have an axident, your falt their falt nobodeys falt and you don't have suplamental braking. I wonder who is going to be sued.
Bill
If you are worried about being sued, you might consider buying insurance - you never know how a jury might act, whether you are right or wrong you can end up with a judgement against you.

llr
Explorer
Explorer
even if not required consider the braking capability of the MH. I had a 1994 34' Bounder and the brakes seemed borderline without a toad, I would have never considered not having brakes on the toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing is certain, any website that SELLS braking systems will post the requirements for TRAILERS, which is not the same as a "vehicle in tow". The map above shows that a braking system is required in Florida when it is not required for a VEHICLE towed behind a motor home. As Executive mentioned, most states require that you must be able to stop within a certain distance but I found no state that specifically required a braking system for a toad.
As far as being sued if you don't have a braking system and get in to an accident, the sky is not falling.
I have a braking system for my toad and use it but if it breaks, I am going to continue on to my trip, no matter where I am, with the piece of mind that I am not breaking any laws no matter what state I am in.

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I don't know why you would not have a braking system.

Agree. If anything the break away.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why you would not have a braking system.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bobtucker
Explorer
Explorer
hitchsource.com/braking-system-requirements-cp-3.html

Try this reference

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

Can't post the rest of the information, you'll have to visit the webpage: Tow Brake Laws For States And Provinces:
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
getgoin wrote:
Hello all....

So we have the class A and the Subaru stick shift, now it's time to set the two up. I got a hold of friends in CO, I'm in CA, they tow a Subaru like mine. CO law does not require a brake system on the Subaru! Is there a site that covers this? Seems if any state would require toad brakes it would be CO...with the Rockies and all. The Subaru weighs 3160 lbs.

Any info here would be appreciated.

Thanks much
Mike
Mikestatland@gmail.com

mike, there are a few online websites that purport to have summarized the towing/aux brake laws in the various states. you can always call the DMV in CO and ask. but beyond that why wouldn't you want to have an aux braking system on your Subaru? God forbid something happens I'd rather be able to say I tried to mitigate the damage by having an aux braking system than vice versa. I bet if you check with the mfg of your motor home you'll find out that the brakes on your MH are engineered only for the GVWR of the MH and not the MH plus toad.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you I would check with CO yourself as I think you have received some incorrect information.

Another thing that a lot of folks overlook is the requirement for a break away system to stop the towed vehicle in the event of a break away. That's pretty hard to accomplish without a supplemental braking system.

However for me personally I couldn't care less whether a state requires a supplemental braking system or break away device or not. I will never tow any vehicle, particularly four down, without one because I couldn't live with the consequences if that vehicle became unattached from my coach, careened out of control and caused any kind of physical injury, or worse, to anyone in its path.

Oh and as far as being legal in your home state has nothing to do with towing laws. You must adhere to any individual state laws you might travel through just as you do for weight restrictions and speed limits.

The only reciprocity you have across state lines is driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
California does not require a supplemental braking system per se. What they do require is that you are able to stop your vehicle and/or combination of vehicles within a certain number of feet at a particular speed. (California Vehicle Code Section 26454(a))That said, here's the common sense rule. Supplemental braking systems fall under the safety issue when traveling. As such there is no reciprocity agreement between states. This means that just because it's legal in California, your home State, not to have a supp braking system, it may not be legal in say Utah, where a supplemental braking system is required. Therefore, to be legal no matter what State you're in, invest in getting a decent system. You'll feel safer besides. We've used the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake system for seven years now and IMO it's the simplest and easiest system out there. The braking system is built into the towbar assembly which stays on your coach. There is a cable that connects from your car's brake pedal to the towbar assembly. As you brake the coach, the brakes on the toad are automatically applied. The whole system will run less than $1000 and you can find them used for much less. Installation takes a couple hours or you can have it done professionally for less than $200. No matter what system you buy or even if you choose not to buy anything, be sure to install the ReadySTop system available from the same company. The ReadyStop is designed to stop the toad should it become disconnected from the coach...the link is below.....Dennis

Ready Brute Ready Brake Ready Stop
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Not everything is reciprocity. Many items such as weight, speed, length, triple tow do not follow you into another state.
I believe CA requires a brake system, I suppose you can take it off in CO but why?
I don't know the PCP level either for DUI in Colorado :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It is a safety law not a license law. I am in WY and not required but as I cross the state lne it may be required in the next state. Doesn't make much sense to plan my trip by only going through states that don't require them.