cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tom Raper RV Richmond Ind

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone dealt with Tom Raper RV in Richmond Indiana? My wife and I drove over there a week ago and test drove a motorhome they had on the lot. They told us how much they would take to trade. We told them we wanted to sleep on it. I called our sales consultant back two days later and told him I would give them what they wanted if they would install like $600.00 worth of options. No big deal right? Our sales consultant said ok I will write it up and see if they will approve it and then get right back to you. That was on Saturday the 15. Since then I have called and text leaving messages and he won't return any of my messages... What gives with this place??????? Not sure I even want to buy from there now if this is the way they treat a Customer...
19 REPLIES 19

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Still haven't heard anything. Not that it would matter we won't be going back. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Westenthal
Explorer
Explorer
I think there last name pretty well sums up there business.
Westenthal

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Go east about 60 miles to Paul Sherry's RV at Piqua Ohio. Ask for Sam.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We purchased our Dutchmen Sport from Tom Raper many years ago. When we went back 3 years later to trade, they were not nice. (I'm being polite here). They wouldn't work with us for a decent trade. We ended up going somewhere else and have never been back.

Tom Raper use to have a good reputation. Raper started on a little lot just North of there on Highway 38. He purchased his first camper and it was paid for. When he sold it, he purchased more, paid for, and continued the chain. All of his sales, negotiations, and reputation were very honorable. He finally moved to his current location, moved across the road, expanded. It's NOT the same mom-and-pop mind set any more. Far from it.In 2002, David Bane bought the dealership from Tom Raper. And unfortunately, the pride in the business was sold down the drain too. I've never been back there.

I think your right about how it used to be. We bought our first class a from them and they were top notch but have heard nothing positive since. One of the problems in rv and other industries is buy a good name and mine it till it's totally wiped out.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
Over RVTrader or some such, I saw a coach there that seemed to have potential. I sent a question or two thru the web site message service, just to see if the coach had a couple of things that were basic requirements. What I got in return was a request for my phone number and other personal information, but none of the information I requested.

I wrote them off immediately. If they cannot be responsive to a potential customer's initial inquiry, I choose to look elsewhere.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our Dutchmen Sport from Tom Raper many years ago. When we went back 3 years later to trade, they were not nice. (I'm being polite here). They wouldn't work with us for a decent trade. We ended up going somewhere else and have never been back.

Tom Raper use to have a good reputation. Raper started on a little lot just North of there on Highway 38. He purchased his first camper and it was paid for. When he sold it, he purchased more, paid for, and continued the chain. All of his sales, negotiations, and reputation were very honorable. He finally moved to his current location, moved across the road, expanded. It's NOT the same mom-and-pop mind set any more. Far from it.In 2002, David Bane bought the dealership from Tom Raper. And unfortunately, the pride in the business was sold down the drain too. I've never been back there.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Raper has a very long history for poor customer response/satisfaction. Not much posted here recently, but go back about 5 years or more and you would find a lot a negative feedback on RVnet regarding Tom Raper.
IRV2

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
The more anxious you appear to make the deal, the less satisfaction you will receive from the dealer.

They are playing you so they can ignore the $600 request. I always give dealers a very short time to accept my offer. I have had my hand on the door leaving on multiple occasions when the Sales Manager says "OK, you have a deal!"

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you simply take the first four letters of their last name, you'll find what you're looking for.....just sayin....:B......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Rwake901, I think the experience that are going through right now speaks volumes. If you are having a hard time trying to buy one, what do you think the service will be like?

My fuse is so short on situations like this. I would move on.

Good luck,
Mark

Yep.

If you really like the motorhome, ask another dealer to find you one like it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901, I think the experience that are going through right now speaks volumes. If you are having a hard time trying to buy one, what do you think the service will be like?

My fuse is so short on situations like this. I would move on.

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
If they don't respond before they have your money, what kind of response will you get after the deal? I almost bought from them... for reasons I don't care to relive here, I went elsewhere.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of RV's for sale and dealers sitting around waiting to take your money.
2013 ACE 29.2

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely NOT give them my business. This will be the beginning of a very unsatisfactory relationship for you.