cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado Warning

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
We're staying in Northern Florida at Suwannee River State Park. This afternoon there is a "High Risk" for tornadoes. We were camped in the campground in the trees in a class A. The trees are 60 feet tall pines and are blowing all over the place. We had a large branch come down and just miss the back of the RV yesterday. I felt uncomfortable under all those pines with the current winds and they're forecast to get stronger later today. Sooo,,, we moved the RV up to a parking lot on the way out of the park. Left or hoses and cargo trailer there. We're in a "day use" area but it's an empty paved parking lot. There must be 100 spaces. It's us and one van so come on down there's room!!! We're parked now out from under the large pine trees. Well.... a campground volunteer came by and told us we'd have to move. She wants us back under 60 foot pine trees in high winds. Rules are rules but I don't feel safe there. The volunteer said that they were all "taking the same risk". She had the Park Ranger stop by and when were told her we were not spending the night (in their "day use" area) she didn't argue much (I wasn't moving anyway) it would take handcuffs. It's stupid to be in those pines. Looks like when these kind of storms are forecast, they wouldn't get their panties in such a wad and would allow people to park in a safer location. Right now the winds are 20 MPH and you can hear branches cracking and falling and we're in a Styrofoam box. Tonight they'll make us move back into the pines. There's a gate to this place and nobody can get in after they close the gate at 6PM. I'd rather stay here away from the trees all night because of the winds. Nobody can get to this lot anyway. They'll make us move!
35 REPLIES 35

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just consider your RV park as being pretty equal to a trailer park. Now consider how many times you have seen that a trailer park was wiped off the face of the Earth by a tornado. Is that really where you want to be when a tornado passes? Me, the wife and the cats will be in that shelter, thank you very much.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Been through a few Fl hurricanes and stand of large pines is safer location than an open area with a few nearby trees. Fla pines survive these frequent wind bursts and hurricanes because they each protect each other from the wind speed and pressures. A solo or a few trees together are much more likely to uproot or snap off and depending on wind speed that also applies to oak trees which are shallow rooted.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I have been in numerous CG's during tornado warnings and one barreling down on the CG. I MOVE MY RV to safer ground. As does everyone. Never had anyone say anything. It's a safety issue.

The CG host was all WRONG on this one. When all is quieted down and you are safe I would definitely report this CG host to the owner before someone gets hurt or killed. They obviously have not been instructed on how to handle severe weather issues regarding RV's in a CG.

It wasn't just the tornado, it was the high winds and large trees that worried me. We left the next day. Moved from their coveted "day use" area (as instructed) that night and went back under the large pines. Wind had calmed down a bit by then. Branches down everywhere but no large trees fell. We packed up the next morning and moved on. Went through GA on 75 and saw where the pines were all blown down along part of the interstate. Still drove through 25 MPH winds but the "CHF" worked wonders on my F53.

We were in a state park in Florida. I may call the state park office sometime this week but we're gone and not going back again. Probably will avoid Florida altogether. We ride motorcycles and the roads sucked for riding. Felt like we were riding on one of those little motorcycles you let your kid ride on at the grocery store. You just sit there. I think I'd rather bundle up and ride in the cold in Tennessee. We were going to stay until Friday but we're kind of over it. In a couple of months the Blue Ridge Parkway will warm up and we'll enjoy that. They have their RULES. Common sense lacking in Florida state parks.

I'd think moving away from large pine trees in high winds would seem prudent but I guess they disagree. I wish them the best of luck with that.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in numerous CG's during tornado warnings and one barreling down on the CG. I MOVE MY RV to safer ground. As does everyone. Never had anyone say anything. It's a safety issue.

The CG host was all WRONG on this one. When all is quieted down and you are safe I would definitely report this CG host to the owner before someone gets hurt or killed. They obviously have not been instructed on how to handle severe weather issues regarding RV's in a CG.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Report today that a tornado destroyed many homes and trailers in Georgia.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I would have gotten right out from under those big pine trees. They're not real deep-rooted, you know? And if confronted about it I would have driven right out of the park. There's somewhere you can park the rig that's safer than under the trees.

And if you personally don't feel safe, find a solid structure. You'd be amazed how many people can cram into a bathroom.
-jbh-

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Listen to Bill? Wow! How many times have I seen a post like that???!!!! Thanks.
As a full timer who does not have a choice of where and when I travel I can tell you that I have spent quite a few nights out of my RV when severe weather was predicted. I didn't like it, but compared to the option I was pretty happy to know that I would survive if things went South!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to Bill. If you feel unsafe, an RV in a parking lot is not for you. We are also at Lake Griffin tonight but we had planned to stay here anyway. We are watching the weather and will head for the restrooms if necessary. It surely won't be the first time we have spent the night in the bathhouse. lizzie

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Screw the RV, get out, get to the tornado shelter and forget about what might or might not happen to the RV. Your RV insurance is paid up, right? Take yourself and your pets to a safe place and leave the rest to the Gods.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
During tornado warnings the worst place you can be is in your RV. We've spent many nights over the years in the campground restrooms - party time with many others, including pets!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
They should be notifying people to use the parking lot if they want to, using some common sense. Making you move back in is just craziness. I would go to Walmart if they insist on making me move.

I'm not sure I can find the keys ๐Ÿ˜‰

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
They should be notifying people to use the parking lot if they want to, using some common sense. Making you move back in is just craziness. I would go to Walmart if they insist on making me move.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You need to do what you need to do. If you must, leave the park completely if you feel unsafe.

When I read your post, I did have to smile though. Your post reminded me of this old Blue Grass song: "In the Pines" Click here. Hope you like old style bluegrass!

If you don't, here's the lyrics:

The Louvin Brothers - In the Pines Lyrics

Artist: The Louvin Brothers

Album: Tragic Songs of Life

In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines
And you shiver when the cold wind blows
little girl, little girl, what have i done
thats made you treat me so

You've caused me to weep, you've caused me to mourn
You've caused me to leave my home

The longest train I ever saw
Went down that Georgia Line
The engine passed at six o'clock
and The cab went by at nine

The longest train I ever saw
was 19 holters long
the only girl i ever loved
is on that train and gone

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We left Ft Clinch State Park in northern eastern Florida just below the GA line yesterday instead of today to head south to a less risky area. Today we're at Lake Griffin State Park near The Villages, and the warnings here put us in the "Moderate Risk" for tornadoes region. There's a lot of trees here, but not many really big ones, so we'll hope for the best. A volunteer came by a few minutes ago making sure everyone was aware of the warnings and where the shelters are if needed.

If we had a car here we'd have left and went south but all we have here is a couple of motorcycles and the RV. The RV would be blown all over the road and the same with the bikes. Glad you got out of here. Most of the storm looks to have been north of us but we've got bad stuff today around 5.

I'm hoping for the best for you! We were on the wide open beach side, and I'm glad we left when we did. We found an overnight spot near Ocala for last night, leaving just a short 30 mile drive for today. Even then the wind made driving a bit uncomfortable...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye/ear out for tornado WARNINGS.. if they are issued, get out of the RV.. bathhouse is likely the safest place. save yourself.. don't worry about the MH.. a tornado will blow you to pieces.. too many people have already died in the last 24 hours.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS