cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 2015 Honda CR-V "four down"

mountainviewer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, IMHO, Honda has certainly "shot themselves in the foot" by changing the transmission in the 2015 CR-V's to one that prevents 4 wheel down towing. My 2005 CR-V is a great car, and an excellent tow vehicle, and I was all set to buy a new 2015 CR-V to replace it. But, NO, Honda in its great wisdom, decided to ignore the RV towing market (yes I know its just a speck in their sales needs), and replace an otherwise great 5 speed automatic with this "variable ratio", or whatever they call it non-towable tramsmision.
Well, all I can say is "I hope they choke on this unwise move"!!!

I am no longer a Honda advocate.

Comments?????
37 REPLIES 37

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
You might be right Mr Marks, but are the new CRV's getting that much more miles per gallon? I am not sure and have not looked into another CRV since we like ours a lot.

I would have gotten the all wheel drive, but I had a Honda Pilot EXL before and it was four wheel drive. In the seven years I had it I only used the four wheel drive one time. So I told my wife it was a waste of extra money for the four wheel drive on a new vehicle, and we got the two wheel drive CRV. It has been a great tow vehicle and a lot lighter then the Pilot.

If the Pilot AWD system is anything like the CR-V, it is not a true 4 wheel drive system.

On the CR-V, the rear wheels will kick in if the front wheels start to slip. The reason I bought it was for torque steer, if you punch it, the rear will have traction.

Also, if it's a slippery surface (fresh rain, oil on the road), and the front tires start to slip, the rear will kick in making it a safer situation.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I am also very disappointed with Honda. I tow a Fit 4 down and it is a great car. I wonder if there is a way we can petition Honda and tell them we want them to change the CRV and Fit back to being able to be towed 4 down?

Or at least make it an option to have the older transmission. I would be willing to order and wait for it.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
You might be right Mr Marks, but are the new CRV's getting that much more miles per gallon? I am not sure and have not looked into another CRV since we like ours a lot.

I would have gotten the all wheel drive, but I had a Honda Pilot EXL before and it was four wheel drive. In the seven years I had it I only used the four wheel drive one time. So I told my wife it was a waste of extra money for the four wheel drive on a new vehicle, and we got the two wheel drive CRV. It has been a great tow vehicle and a lot lighter then the Pilot.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
I have the two wheel drive 2013 CRV and it gets real good gas mileage. On straight long roads like I-5 right down the center through California I set it on cruise control for 75mph and I was getting 35 mpg. It is a great towing vehicle.

The worst towing vehicle I have had was a Jeep. Good for off road, but terrible gas mileage and terrible towing.

I believe the reason why Honda really got rid of the towing type vehicles is because a lot of RVers were not running the CRV through the gears before towing and it was causing problems with lubrication of the transmission. With claims mounting up on Honda that there was a problem with the transmission, they decided to just eliminate the transmission and the claims.

Ray, I have never heard of anyone complain about their Honda transmissions. I think Honda did have a model year that they had trouble but not from towing.

A lot of car companies have a 'procedure' for setting up to tow and you just don't hear a lot about 'claims'.

The Honda transmission change was due to improving fuel mileage.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
I will keep towing my 2002 CRV. It still runs good and should last anoteher ten years. Money in my pocket.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have the two wheel drive 2013 CRV and it gets real good gas mileage. On straight long roads like I-5 right down the center through California I set it on cruise control for 75mph and I was getting 35 mpg. It is a great towing vehicle.

The worst towing vehicle I have had was a Jeep. Good for off road, but terrible gas mileage and terrible towing.

I believe the reason why Honda really got rid of the towing type vehicles is because a lot of RVers were not running the CRV through the gears before towing and it was causing problems with lubrication of the transmission. With claims mounting up on Honda that there was a problem with the transmission, they decided to just eliminate the transmission and the claims.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
KO wrote:
.........- Constant Velocity Transmissions (CVT) are being installed. CVT cannot be towed or lub pump installed to get around it.

I guess I am buying a tow dolly...

I assume you know other CVT's are towable 4 down. For example my 2013 Fusion Hybrid can be towed 4 down according to the owners manual. How come Honda can't figure this out? I don't know about other brands besides Ford.

I also did not buy a new CRV when looking for a new toad but went for a 2013 AWD Ford Edge off lease and it tows just the same and is a bit roomier.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

joezuki
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I just paid $100.00 less for a 2014 lease return with 10k miles on it than a brand new 2015 just so I can tow it 4 down. A bit tough to swallow but the car is in mint condition.
Joe & Carol
2000 Southwind 32V
2011 Jeep JKUR - toad
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L - toad

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new to RVing. We found a 2011 CRV with 4900 miles on it. Looks, smells, rides like a new car. Perfect for a toad! Will have this care forever. Loads of CRVs have 150K+ miles on them. I figure ours will last 20 years!

So, I don't care what Honda does. After all, it is just a TOAD!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
KO wrote:
Constant Velocity Transmissions (CVT) are being installed. CVT cannot be towed or lub pump installed to get around it.
Nope, there is no reason a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) can't be designed for four down towing. Other manufacturers do it such as Ford.

I've never heard of a Constant Velocity Transmission. I think you meant Continuously Variable Transmission which changes the leverage ratio using chains or belts instead of gears.

If you bing it, you'll find both kinds of CVT transmissions.
2014 American Eagle

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
KO wrote:
Constant Velocity Transmissions (CVT) are being installed. CVT cannot be towed or lub pump installed to get around it.
Nope, there is no reason a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) can't be designed for four down towing. Other manufacturers do it such as Ford.

I've never heard of a Constant Velocity Transmission. I think you meant Continuously Variable Transmission which changes the leverage ratio using chains or belts instead of gears.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

soren
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
soren wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:

My comment:
Probably no more than several hundred sales were made solely on the 4 down tow capability. Honda has much bigger things to worry about than keeping those old goats happy!

"several hundred sales" Sorry, but no.
On a trip down the east coast during snowbird season I see at least a hundred hanging off the back of motorhomes. I had mine serviced at a Tampa area dealer recently. The service advisor told me that they have a steady stream of angry customers who simply cannot believe that Honda would do something so dumb. Honda probably had little choice when it came to increasing economy, but it comes at a cost of thousands of lost sales to RVers.

The CR-V is the seventh best selling vehicle in America, with 45,509 sales in January and February of this year (source). The motorhome toad market is negligible for it in the overall scheme of things.

Obviously we agree. As I pointed out however, the market is far larger that "several hundred sales". I have been to campgrounds lately where they were more CRV toads than any other brand, followed by Wranglers, other Jeep products, and a few oddball units. My favorites is the odd category recently have been a Town Car and an old Land Rover Defender.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
That was a major reason we Bought the CRV in 2014. So far it's a great car.;)

Same here. Wanted a '15, bought a '14.
2014 American Eagle

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
soren wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:

My comment:
Probably no more than several hundred sales were made solely on the 4 down tow capability. Honda has much bigger things to worry about than keeping those old goats happy!

"several hundred sales" Sorry, but no.
On a trip down the east coast during snowbird season I see at least a hundred hanging off the back of motorhomes. I had mine serviced at a Tampa area dealer recently. The service advisor told me that they have a steady stream of angry customers who simply cannot believe that Honda would do something so dumb. Honda probably had little choice when it came to increasing economy, but it comes at a cost of thousands of lost sales to RVers.

The CR-V is the seventh best selling vehicle in America, with 45,509 sales in January and February of this year (source). The motorhome toad market is negligible for it in the overall scheme of things.