cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transynd vs Dexron VI

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Can Dexron VI be used to replace Transynd on my 2004 Allison 3000 transmission for a fluid and filter change?
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!
19 REPLIES 19

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The op has an allison 3000. If he does not have transynd that is what he should buy. That fluid will outlive the driver.
Moisheh

wq93
Explorer
Explorer
As noted by an earlier poster, some of the earlier Allison production used seals that were not compatible with Dexron VI but were compatible with the earlier Dexron III. I would definitely NOT put Dex VI in a 2004 since the Dexron VI fluid spec did not come out until 2005. I had to check the Allison serial # when I had my 2006 GMC Sierra to see if it had Dexron VI compatible seals.

Use the recommended Allison Transynd, this is a case where trying to save a few dollars can result in a short term savings with a big long term expense when seals harden from exposure to the wrong fluid.

Chevrolet Dealer (Ourisman in Alexandria, VA) specified and sold me AC Delco Dexron VI for my 2004 Duramax with Allison.  

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Transmission fluid temperature is one of the things that I monitored continuously with a digital scan gauge. Since we mostly traveled in the Western mountains and always towed, I felt it was an important thing to monitor. Naturally traveling from Florida, I always had quite a few miles of flat and level travel before I got out west. After I switched from Dex III to Transynd I noticed that my normal cruise fluid temperature had dropped about 10 degrees. The transmission also seemed to shift smoother. That was close to 60,000 miles ago and my Allison transmission still shifts like new and my fluid looks like it was put in yesterday. I do change the external spin-on filter every 10,000 miles and top off the fluid. I know that there is probably no need to do this but the filter has a magnet that I always check to see if everything is OK. So far the magnet has always been clean and the cost for an external Allison filter is cheap.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and the Allison MH3000 trans was outfitted from the factory with Dex III or IV, I can't remember. If I recall, by reading up on it waaaaaaay back then, the MH3000 units came with Dexron but, the 4000 units came with Transynd.

But, contacted the gent mentioned earlier who's the foremost authority on Allisons and he advised me on the correct procedure for a complete change-over to Transynd. I did that about 5-6 years ago and have been happy ever since. I now have about 45,000 miles on that change. Trans works like a gem. Personally, I'd never dump any Dexron back into a trans that's full of and, been operating on Transynd.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
I am almost sure your 2004 Allison has seals that are not compatible with Dextron VI but they are compatible with Transynd.

Dextron VI post #63

I may be wrong as I did not notice it was an Allison 3000 but what I have indicated is true for a 2004 Allison 1000.

My 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with an Allison 1000 came with Dextron. I switched to Transyd at about 20000 miles per Allison's recommendation. As I recall Winnebago started using Transyd towards the end of 2004.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again , for the op ... โ€œcoachโ€ and his 2004 Allison 3000 , while it may be compatible.. there is no reason other than cost to do it. If cost is important then just test the fluid ( 30 bucks) and do a filter change , with the required addition of transynd to the proper level .. the OP and any motorhome Allison 3000/4000 should never need to change fluid ! Provided itโ€™s tested regularly and there are no issues of contamination. Synthetic fluid doesnโ€™t โ€œage out โ€œ
Bill

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Allison ONLY recommends transmission fluid that is TES-295 approved. Several manufacturers meet this spec. I would not use any fluid that does not say that it meets the Allison TES-295 specifications. The older transmissions did come with a non-295 Fluid, probably Dex III in your case, but why go with any inferior fluid when Allison now recommends a fluid that meets TES-295 in their older transmissions. You do not have to buy Allison fluid if you don't want to give them the money but I would definitely recommend buying the newer spec fluid from someone, anyone, instead of using an older fluid. Saving a few bucks on a transmission that can cost $5000+ to repair just doesn't make sense. BP, Castrol, and others make the TES-295 fluid that you need. Try to find one on sale and use the right, most recent fluid, instead of using a fluid that Allison abandoned many years ago for their transmissions.
This is the answer. If you want a graduate education on TES-295 fluid go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/former-allison-transmission-fluids-engineer-89293.html but be prepared to read 51+ pages. EVERYTHING you need to know.

I talked to Tom Johnson last week about the sample of trans fluid I sent for testing. He said if you test the fluid annually, and it tests okay, the fluid is good for 300,000 miles...in other words "life" for an RV. The biggest concern is that it could get contaminated by coolant, engine oil, etc.
2014 American Eagle

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Allison ONLY recommends transmission fluid that is TES-295 approved. Several manufacturers meet this spec. I would not use any fluid that does not say that it meets the Allison TES-295 specifications. The older transmissions did come with a non-295 Fluid, probably Dex III in your case, but why go with any inferior fluid when Allison now recommends a fluid that meets TES-295 in their older transmissions. You do not have to buy Allison fluid if you don't want to give them the money but I would definitely recommend buying the newer spec fluid from someone, anyone, instead of using an older fluid. Saving a few bucks on a transmission that can cost $5000+ to repair just doesn't make sense. BP, Castrol, and others make the TES-295 fluid that you need. Try to find one on sale and use the right, most recent fluid, instead of using a fluid that Allison abandoned many years ago for their transmissions.
This is the answer. If you want a graduate education on TES-295 fluid go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/former-allison-transmission-fluids-engineer-89293.html but be prepared to read 51+ pages. EVERYTHING you need to know.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
Allison ONLY recommends transmission fluid that is TES-295 approved.

The Diesel Supplement manual for the 2018 D/A recommends Dexron VI above temps of -40 F. Below that it specifies TES 295. That holds true for 2013 and up model years

So basically anyone that has an Allison transmission anywhere other than the frozen arctic should not use Transynd TES-295 rated fluid, since most of the lower 48 has temps above -40 F. Only use TES-295 for temps less than -40 F. I think you need to reread your source. :B

You need to reread my quote. I quoted the manual and it's recommendations. Neither the manual or I said NOT to use Transynd. My source is from GM page 125 of the Duramax Diesel Supplement. It has been in that manual from when I bought my first 2006 GM diesel and 2013 and 2018.

" DEXRONยฎ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Allison Transmission Only: For areas where ambient temperatures are
below -40ยฐC (-40ยฐF) use Synthetic Transmission Fluid approved to Allison Transmission specification TES-295 (GM Part No. 12378515, in Canada 88900701)."
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charlie D. wrote:

The Diesel Supplement manual for the 2018 D/A recommends Dexron VI above temps of -40 F. Below that it specifies TES 295. That holds true for 2013 and up model years

So basically anyone that has an Allison transmission anywhere other than the frozen arctic should not use Transynd TES-295 rated fluid, since most of the lower 48 has temps above -40 F. Only use TES-295 for temps less than -40 F. I think you need to reread your source. :B

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If the question is "should I change the fluid":

How many years old/how many miles on it?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I am almost sure your 2004 Allison has seals that are not compatible with Dextron VI but they are compatible with Transynd.

Dextron VI post #63

I may be wrong as I did not notice it was an Allison 3000 but what I have indicated is true for a 2004 Allison 1000.