Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Auxilary batteries

3_in_the_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Can anybody help me with this?
Problem: Auxilary batteries do not seem to be putting out energy despite the fact that they are fully charged. I am not able to start generator from auxiliary batteries. I am able to start it if I start the engine first and then start the generator so the generator is not the problem.

Steps taken:
• Auxiliary batteries disconnected and charged to full capacity with external battery charger. Charger shows they are fully charged
• Batteries put back in RV. No corrosion on posts and water levels are good.
• Control panel still shows batteries are dead.
• Batteries do not have enough power to turn over generator.
• Batteries are able to run lights in RV.
• Solenoid was replaced in 2014 ---could it be this again?
Thanks so much for any help or input.
28 REPLIES 28

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
also a trickle charger/maintainer (not a battery charger).

This is unnecessarily confusing.

You should never use anything labeled "trickle charger" in an unattended application.

You need a small fully automatic tender type battery charger.

If it costs less than $10, it probably isn't appropriate.
Reasonably good ones can be had in the $20-$30 range; sometimes a bit less.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than a single 12 volt battery, I would go with two 6 volt Trojan T-105 batteries, and also a trickle charger/maintainer (not a battery charger).

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 in the RV wrote:
So, I had the batteries load tested and they are shot.
Recommendations on what to replace them with?
Also, any thoughts about hooking up a battery maintainer while the RV is just stored or how to help the house batteries last longer than a year. I think this is all that this set lasted for.

What sort of camping do you tend to do? If you're camping without hookups for relatively long times (more than an overnight or possibly a weekend), you probably want as much battery capacity as you can reasonably get. Frequently this would be a pair of 6V GC2 batteries connected in series, assuming you have sufficient space (including height) for them.

If you only camp with hookups, a single 12V battery should be entirely sufficient.

A good multistage converter, such as a PD 92xx or 46xx series, will not destroy batteries if left connected and powered up in storage. Many RVs unfortunately don't come from the factory with a good multistage converter. A solar setup with a decent charge controller will likewise keep the batteries in good shape assuming you have light where you store the RV. A standalone charger/maintainer could also be used, though not all such devices are particularly good.

If no charger is used, the batteries must be disconnected (often the disconnect switch doesn't remove every load from the battery) and can reasonably be expected to sit without losing too much charge due to self-discharge for times varying between a week or two or three (in hot weather) to a year or more (in very cold weather). The rate of self-discharge is strongly correlated with temperature.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
No they won't. Especially if they are "deep cycle" type.

Simply discharging a wet cell battery doesn't cause it any damage.....unless you get the voltage WAY down, like maybe to 3 volts.

What causes the damage is discharging it and then LEAVING IT LIKE THAT for an extended period of time, like weeks. A few days at 12.0 volts should be no problem.

Sam ... well put ... and not commonly known!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

3_in_the_RV
Explorer
Explorer
So, I had the batteries load tested and they are shot.
Recommendations on what to replace them with?
Also, any thoughts about hooking up a battery maintainer while the RV is just stored or how to help the house batteries last longer than a year. I think this is all that this set lasted for.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:

You should never let your batteries get below 12.2v or they will suffer permanent damage.

No they won't. Especially if they are "deep cycle" type.

Simply discharging a wet cell battery doesn't cause it any damage.....unless you get the voltage WAY down, like maybe to 3 volts.

What causes the damage is discharging it and then LEAVING IT LIKE THAT for an extended period of time, like weeks. A few days at 12.0 volts should be no problem.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
As batteries age and are used, the plates inside become coated with sulphation.
When this develops, they lose capacity to crank the generator even though they may show over 13 volts while plugged into shore power or after charging with a car charger. Our two T-105 6-volt golf cart batteries lasted around 10 years, I replaced them with equivalent cheaper US brand batteries and replaced the original converter/charger with a modern Progressive Dynamics 45 amp multi-level charger which won't overcharge batteries and boil out electrolyte.
RV batteries that are not kept charged and electrolyte levels checked and maintained don't last as long as those that are.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
...12.0 is about 50 percent discharged.

Actually, 12.2 volts is 50% discharged. 12.0 is 75% discharged.

You should never let your batteries get below 12.2v or they will suffer permanent damage.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,Leave it in ON position. If you shut it off, converter/charger can't charge house battery and power the lights and 12 volt DC appliance controls, etc.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
3 in the RV wrote:
So I checked voltage and I have 10.46 on each of the batteries. Sounds dead, right? When I turn on one little ceiling light and the little porch light it drops to 9.95. However, when put on the battery charger (completely out of RV) they appeared to charge easily and indicated a full charge. (Obviously not correct).

Most likely: Your batteries are totally shot. Maybe the set in the truck too.

Normal no-load float is 12.6-12.8 at 100 percent charged.
12.0 is about 50 percent discharged.

It takes about 13.4 to give them any significant charge at all.
A healthy charge needs above 14.

You probably should try a different charger but don't get your hopes up too high. You have checked the liquid level.....right ??

After you get new batteries, you need to check charging voltages again.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
3 in the RV wrote:
So I checked voltage and I have 10.46 on each of the batteries. Sounds dead, right? When I turn on one little ceiling light and the little porch light it drops to 9.95. However, when put on the battery charger (completely out of RV) they appeared to charge easily and indicated a full charge. (Obviously not correct). As a point of reference I checked the engine/chassis battery and it read 11.88 without the vehicle running. Does this give everyone some ideas of what might be wrong? I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

perhaps a shorted cell in one or both of the batteries. This would explain why the converter fan was running constantly but the batteries weren't charging. converter trying to raise voltage across batteries to charge but shorted cell just causing battery to heat up and not actually charge. Also be aware your vehicle battery seems low too( under 12v) . might want to throw the charger on that as well

3_in_the_RV
Explorer
Explorer
So I checked voltage and I have 10.46 on each of the batteries. Sounds dead, right? When I turn on one little ceiling light and the little porch light it drops to 9.95. However, when put on the battery charger (completely out of RV) they appeared to charge easily and indicated a full charge. (Obviously not correct). As a point of reference I checked the engine/chassis battery and it read 11.88 without the vehicle running. Does this give everyone some ideas of what might be wrong? I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

3_in_the_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
3 in the RV wrote:
Is this normal for it to be running all the time or did that indicate I problem I did not recognize?

Yes and no, in that order......probably.

The battery charger needs some air circulation, more so when the ambient temp is high.

YOU NEED A MULTIMETER TO CHECK VOLTAGES.
Without that, nobody can help tell you if you have a problem or not.

OK I checked voltage and I have 10.46 on each of the batteries. When I turn on one little ceiling light and the little porch light it drops to 9.95. However, when put on the battery charger (completely out of RV) they appeared to charge easily and indicated a full charge. As a point of reference I checked the engine/chassis battery and it read 11.88 without the vehicle running. Does this give everyone some ideas of what might be wrong? I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
3 in the RV wrote:
Is this normal for it to be running all the time or did that indicate I problem I did not recognize?

Yes and no, in that order......probably.

The battery charger needs some air circulation, more so when the ambient temp is high.

YOU NEED A MULTIMETER TO CHECK VOLTAGES.
Without that, nobody can help tell you if you have a problem or not.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611